Away Match Day Thread +++ 08/12/2018 Peterborough Utd v OUFC +++

Well, they gave us 6 points last season, so I’m feeling positive!

It's much better these days, although during the 80s/ early 90s a visit to Peterborough was the stuff of nightmares, due to limited signposting on the surrounding roads, and what there was were invariably directional pointers to localish hamlets and villages !. DJing Allnighters at both The Fleet and Wirrina in Peteboro' during the 80s I often ended up doing several circuits of the area both getting to my destination and escaping from the seemingly gravitational pull of Peterborough! Thankfully roads in and around Peterborough have been vastly improved as has the signposting in more recent times.

For U's fans over/of a certain age a bit of nostalgia of sorts at Peterboro away

there's a low roofed terrace stand behind one of the goals that is known as The London Road end!

Away support is 'housed' in part of their 'main' stand, at the opposite end of the ground to their London Road end
old fashioned wooden seats with limited leg room, but an, in the main, decent view of the pitch.

visiting fans guide... link....https://www.footballgroundguide.com...html#awhat-is-it-like-for-visiting-supporters

We have a reasonable record against them, most recently two wins over them last season.
Posh go into this game in good form, as do the U's, it should be a decent game to watch ,( punctuated by fatty Evans histrionics in the tech area),
Smash n grab late winner for the U's in a 1-2 away win, Whyte n Browne a goal apiece, 765 away fans

They're on the decline, we're on the up. Definitely at least a point to be had here. 2-1 Yellows.

Win tomorrow and it would be our sixth win on the bounce against them. The last time we lost to them was in the 2000-01 season - then again, we lost to pretty much everyone that season.

Hoping we come out of it with something. I wouldn't be too disappointed with a point. We've had an 'easier' run of teams to play lately so seeing how we do against a top half side managed by wily old shyster Steve Evans will be interesting.

Win tomorrow and it would be our sixth win on the bounce against them. The last time we lost to them was in the 2000-01 season - then again, we lost to pretty much everyone that season.

Hoping we come out of it with something. I wouldn't be too disappointed with a point. We've had an 'easier' run of teams to play lately so seeing how we do against a top half side managed by wily old shyster Steve Evans will be interesting.

even during that nightmare season 2005/06 it was a 0-0 draw at their place and a rare (that season!) home win 1-0 , we took 4 points of them the season we fell through the trap door to the conference!.... which I think was part screened as part of the Television series titled something like Big Ron Football Manager, in which our greatest team skipper of all time, (and best manager we never had), was advising a young manager (cant remember who? ) who happened to be 'struggling' at Posh at the time.... it was a few games (the home 1-0 win) after Nick Merry n co took up the reigns after the then owner couldnt wait to unload the football club after the boardroom was stormed before an evening match, by disgruntled OUFC supporters!

even during that nightmare season 2005/06 it was a 0-0 draw at their place and a rare (that season!) home win 1-0 , we took 4 points of them the season we fell through the trap door to the conference!.... which I think was part screened as part of the Television series titled something like Big Ron Football Manager, in which our greatest team skipper of all time, (and best manager we never had), was advising a young manager (cant remember who? ) who happened to be 'struggling' at Posh at the time.... it was a few games (the home 1-0 win) after Nick Merry n co took up the reigns after the then owner couldnt wait to unload the football club after the boardroom was stormed before an evening match, by disgruntled OUFC supporters!

I believe the manager was Steve Bleasdale. He resigned on camera as well. Pretty sure he was a Mickey Mouser.

Eastwood
Hanson Dickie Nelson Ruffels
Brannagan Mous Henry
Whyte Mackie Browne

0-1, Whyte.

That 1-0 win at home you speak of was the first game Smith was in charge after the takeover. N’Toya was one of about five players making their debut that day and got the goal. I think after that game we were something like 14th and all looking at if we could make a charge for the playoffs.

Oh how it went downhill from there.

That 1-0 win at home you speak of was the first game Smith was in charge after the takeover. N’Toya was one of about five players making their debut that day and got the goal. I think after that game we were something like 14th and all looking at if we could make a charge for the playoffs.

Oh how it went downhill from there.

Cheers for the correction @RyanioBirdio, now youve mentioned it, of course it was the first game after the takeover, .... that was the game when Rosie, prior to the teams going out onto the field, announced (as a welcome 'home' of sorts to Jim Smith) something along the lines of 'Ladies and Gentlemen, the 'Eagle has landed' followed by Thin Lizzy's 'The Boys Are Back In Town' being played over the tannoy

Last edited:
4th Official will be busy tomorrow with Evans & Robbo. Whilst Robbo moans, shouts, berates gets into trouble, Evans is a bit cleverer and somehow manages to referee the game!

Back
Top Bottom