Away Match Day Thread +++ 08/12/2018 Peterborough Utd v OUFC +++

How London Road used to look - only one of two or three clubs that had an uncovered terrace along the length of the pitch.

It's much better these days, although during the 80s/ early 90s a visit to Peterborough was the stuff of nightmares, due to limited signposting on the surrounding roads, and what there was were invariably directional pointers to localish hamlets and villages !. DJing Allnighters at both The Fleet and Wirrina in Peteboro' during the 80s I often ended up doing several circuits of the area both getting to my destination and escaping from the seemingly gravitational pull of Peterborough! Thankfully roads in and around Peterborough have been vastly improved as has the signposting in more recent times.

For U's fans over/of a certain age a bit of nostalgia of sorts at Peterboro away

there's a low roofed terrace stand behind one of the goals that is known as The London Road end!

Away support is 'housed' in part of their 'main' stand, at the opposite end of the ground to their London Road end
old fashioned wooden seats with limited leg room, but an, in the main, decent view of the pitch.

How London Road used to look - only one of two or three clubs that had an uncovered terrace along the length of the pitch.
Before they changed the name Peterboro's ground was called 'London Road' its still part of the adress, Posh's London Road End stand, a terrace with a low roof behind one of the goals has had its low roof since at least the early 60s I believe?

inside and outside pics of Posh's Covered (with a low roof) London Road END Terrace below.....

london-rd-turnstiles.gif

abax-stadium-london-road-terrace-peterborough-united-fc-1418209411.jpg

even during that nightmare season 2005/06 it was a 0-0 draw at their place and a rare (that season!) home win 1-0 , we took 4 points of them the season we fell through the trap door to the conference!.... which I think was part screened as part of the Television series titled something like Big Ron Football Manager, in which our greatest team skipper of all time, (and best manager we never had), was advising a young manager (cant remember who? ) who happened to be 'struggling' at Posh at the time.... it was a few games (the home 1-0 win) after Nick Merry n co took up the reigns after the then owner couldnt wait to unload the football club after the boardroom was stormed before an evening match, by disgruntled OUFC supporters!

Funnily enough @Sarge, I was just in the pub discussing that very documentary with some mates of mine.

Peterborough had a right royal fight at half time (Phil Bolland, Sean St Ledger and Daryl Clare if my memory serves) and Bleasdale went full scouser asking them all to ‘calm down’. What’s even more bizarre is that the club shop made a DVD of that game that you could buy as it was Jim Smith’s homecoming. Little did we know how the story would end up ...

We were 18th and they were 8th. Ian Atkins and Torquay’s run of form hauled us into the relegation mix.

Awkward one this fatty Evans always seems to do well in his full first season having spent well and this season seems to be no different they’re doing well at the moment. A tough one but we can do it 1-0 to the U’s

I’m feeling bullish about this one. 2-0 Oxford. COYY.

Oh and a red card for one of the managers

1-1
Start quickly and put them under pressure.

Presuming Henry is out this is the team I'd go for
Eastwood
Hanson Nelson Dickie Garbutt
Mousinho Brannagan Ruffels
Whyte Mackie Browne

Mousinho goal. Red card for both teams.

Anyone else feel sorry for fourth official? Stuck between Robinson and Evans today. Going to need some ear plugs.

On this day 16 years ago grandson #1 decided to enter planet earth. So I will probably only follow the game via Twitter on my phone.
But I've got a good feeling about today. 2-0 win for the mighty Yellows.

2-1 to the U’S to keep our upward progress going.

COYY

To me it's a free game today. They will be massive favourites. All the pressure on them. If we can get at them from the start score 1st then who knows maybe the 3 points will be ours. But if we sit back invite them onto us then we will get beat by 2 or 3. Head says a home win, heart says away win, but I'd take a point. COYY

Normally a good record against this lot let's get that away win under our belts. 3-2 away win

Back
Top Bottom