Away Match Day Thread 08/02/2022 L1: Accrington Stanley v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
This question has been answered. He has to be registered as a player to so his PFA role.!

Why that should come at the cost of Oxford, I don’t know.
Is it "at the cost of OUFC"? Mous is clearly a very intelligent individual, and well respected in the game - and clearly OUFC value his contribution off the pitch as a coach and mentor. But if he wants to keep his PFA role he has to be a registered player. If we refuse to register him he'll go to a club who will and we lose a very capable coach and an integral part of our setup. I can see him taking the manager role at OUFC one day. Clearly those at OUFC think that his coaching contribution is worth it, as do I.

It's all irrelevant anyway because we still have a squad place available even with Mous registered. To suggest "brown envelopes" is a ridiculous and borderline libellous accusation.

Jeez. Thats some implication against JM and OUFC.

How do you know he isnt paid as a coach and simply registered as a player?

You don’t. But, for some strange reason, you never fail to pass up a chance to criticise the club you support.

You explain it then. Why the need to have him involved on the playing side when he clearly can’t cope with a full 90?

If he’s a player, and is fit and ready for action. He should have started Tuesday. No arguments.

To much sentiment involved

Is it "at the cost of OUFC"? Mous is clearly a very intelligent individual, and well respected in the game - and clearly OUFC value his contribution off the pitch as a coach and mentor. But if he wants to keep his PFA role he has to be a registered player. If we refuse to register him he'll go to a club who will and we lose a very capable coach and an integral part of our setup. I can see him taking the manager role at OUFC one day. Clearly those at OUFC think that his coaching contribution is worth it, as do I.

It's all irrelevant anyway because we still have a squad place available even with Mous registered. To suggest "brown envelopes" is a ridiculous and borderline libellous accusation.

How do you know he a capable coach? Seen him in action? Is he better than Craig Short? Leon Blackmore Such?

It may be irrelevant to you but that squad place could have been taken up with a defender capable of playing 90mins.

The club come first and if “Mous” dosent like that, he can go find another club willing to offer him such luxuries

How do you know he a capable coach? Seen him in action? Is he better than Craig Short? Leon Blackmore Such?

It may be irrelevant to you but that squad place could have been taken up with a defender capable of playing 90mins.

The club come first and if “Mous” dosent like that, he can go find another club willing to offer him such luxuries
I mean he's been coaching the last few seasons where we've finished playoffs and if he was a crap coach we'd have let him go. Obviously. Not that difficult.

You know what other place that defender could have taken? The free f*****g spot we still have available. Mous literally isn't affecting that possibility.

Absolutely the club come first and clearly those at the club want him here. I'll take their opinions over some overly critical person on a forum. If we didn't want him, we'd have said go find another club if you want your PFA role. Not sentiment, not luxury, a club decision.

I’ve read some on here lay into Brown already, comparing him with Joe Grayson and possibly taking Cardiff fans’ comments a little too literally. To me, that’s unduly harsh when you see where he’s come from. 61 of his 151 appearances have been at NLS or lower and he has been catapulted into a second tier side who got promoted to the PL in that time. The criticism levelled at him sounds very similar to that fired at Rob Atkinson by Nigel Pearson at Bristol City – he’s a player with potential who may have jumped a few levels a little too soon. His spells since then have seen little runs of games here and there but nothing substantial. That he was played all over the place for Cardiff didn’t help either. Yes, he was culpable for Accrington’s first in some way but so were others. Hopefully his injury isn’t so bad as we’re going to need numbers in defence.

I agree 100% that we can't write Brown off yet, and everything you say about his playing history.

But I'm curious as to who else you think was culpable for Accrington's first on Tuesday?

Their striker made a little run into the channel, but we got back to cover it well so he cut back onto his right foot and launched a hopeful ball into the box. Brown went up for it entirely unchallenged.....and then headed it weakly straight to their forward who was hanging out in the 'D' on the edge of our box. If he thought he couldn't get a lot on the header because he was falling back (as might be the case) then he had to go wide with his clearing header - which would have been perfectly safe as Accrington had noone there. Heading it weakly straight up the middle to the edge of your own box is just poor defending. There really wasn't any danger there until he ballsed up the clearance.

I thought he was partly culpable (though in this case, only partly) for both of Pompey's goals on Saturday as well.
For the first, they played a straight long ball forward from a free kick in their own half and he got cleanly beaten in the air by their forward (though those behind him then didn't cover themselves in glory either).
For the second, he tracked their runner right across the pitch, but failed to get a proper challenge in when he should have, and then wasn't there when the ball was played back to Curtis coming in on his flank (though Seddon should have fallen in to cover for him.....if he had better defensive instincts himself).

Which is all to say that - assuming he's not badly hurt - he may come good. But it has been a rough start.

Their striker made a little run into the channel, but we got back to cover it well so he cut back onto his right foot and launched a hopeful ball into the box. Brown went up for it entirely unchallenged.....and then headed it weakly straight to their forward who was hanging out in the 'D' on the edge of our box. If he thought he couldn't get a lot on the header because he was falling back (as might be the case) then he had to go wide with his clearing header - which would have been perfectly safe as Accrington had noone there. Heading it weakly straight up the middle to the edge of your own box is just poor defending. There really wasn't any danger there until he ballsed up the clearance.
Watch it again, the header came from Seddon...not Brown. The two of them crossed places when the ball was fired back in so the Radio Oxford boys got the wrong man.

I mean he's been coaching the last few seasons where we've finished playoffs and if he was a crap coach we'd have let him go. Obviously. Not that difficult.

You know what other place that defender could have taken? The free f*****g spot we still have available. Mous literally isn't affecting that possibility.

Absolutely the club come first and clearly those at the club want him here. I'll take their opinions over some overly critical person on a forum. If we didn't want him, we'd have said go find another club if you want your PFA role. Not sentiment, not luxury, a club decision.

Remind me, how did we do Tuesday when one of our first choice CB’s was unavailable.

His replacement, Sam Long, was also unavailable.

Again, remind me how we did.

Why didn’t “Mous” start?

Will he start Saturday if needed?

Numerous people on this forum and beyond are disappointed with our defensive recruitment in January and some won’t be and aren’t satisfied with a Cardiff reserve defender who Robinson even said hasn’t played as a part of a 4 before.

Are you happy? Do you think we should have got more options in to cover that extra spot in the squad?

Or are you content knowing that Mr super coach ( next manager, “Mous” ) will be the answer to all our defensive prayers?

I agree 100% that we can't write Brown off yet, and everything you say about his playing history.

But I'm curious as to who else you think was culpable for Accrington's first on Tuesday?

I thought he was partly culpable (though in this case, only partly) for both of Pompey's goals on Saturday as well.
For the first, they played a straight long ball forward from a free kick in their own half and he got cleanly beaten in the air by their forward (though those behind him then didn't cover themselves in glory either).
For the second, he tracked their runner right across the pitch, but failed to get a proper challenge in when he should have, and then wasn't there when the ball was played back to Curtis coming in on his flank (though Seddon should have fallen in to cover for him.....if he had better defensive instincts himself).

Which is all to say that - assuming he's not badly hurt - he may come good. But it has been a rough start.

Relax Tony.

“Mous” will spend this week with him and all will be fine…….

Remind me, how did we do Tuesday when one of our first choice CB’s was unavailable.

Why didn’t “Mous” start?

Numerous people on this forum and beyond are disappointed with our defensive recruitment in January and some won’t be and aren’t satisfied with a Cardiff reserve defender who Robinson even said hasn’t played as a part of a 4 before.

Are you happy? Do you think we should have got more options in to cover that extra spot in the squad?

Or are you content knowing that Mr super coach ( next manager, “Mous” ) will be the answer to all our defensive prayers?
You are a very strange poster. You started off by libelling the club (I wonder if anyone screenshotted that?) and now are going off on one about defensive recruitment, despite the issues having been discussed many times and people making it clear that since we have a spot free then Mous is neither here nor there.

Watch it again, the header came from Seddon...not Brown. The two of them crossed places when the ball was fired back in so the Radio Oxford boys got the wrong man.

Watching again, you are absolutely right - I should learn to stop trusting the word of Jerome & Nathan as gospel!

So my humblest apologies to Ciaron Brown.
And that's Exhibit Z to stick in the file entitled "Why Steven Seddon is not a defender"

Wasn't it Fleetwood where a similar Defensive header across towards the D led to a Goal..although if it's the one i'm thinking off it was a superb finish

How do u know he isn’t a capable coach?

Your either making things up in your own head or you have some inside info, which is it?

Is Mousinho's PFA role a paid one ? If it is - and paid handsomely at that - then perhaps his role wit us is unpaid in return for a squad place. The coaching aspect can only be good for us in the long run as he'd undoubtedly be a name in the frame for the future. Either way, he's worth a squad place. Good character, useful coming on to help shore things up and takes one hell of a spot kick - think play offs, final, he's a virtual guarantee from 12 yards.

You explain it then. Why the need to have him involved on the playing side when he clearly can’t cope with a full 90?

If he’s a player, and is fit and ready for action. He should have started Tuesday. No arguments.

To much sentiment involved
Spot on

Why didn’t “Mous” start?

Not once have I commented on our defensive recruitment or said I was happy with it. You're making assumptions based on my defending of keeping a positive influence in the club when it doesn't affect the wider playing squad (because we have another free squad space). We should have filled the other free spot with another defender. That's my opinion. Not filling the free spot is the error; nothing to do with John Mousinho (since you have some kind of issue with the nickname basically everyone uses?).

Why he has become a target for you is beyond me when failure to sign another defender is nothing to do with him. It comes across as extremely bitter and targeted.

Extremely early to write off Brown too. I remember Rob Dickie looked shaky in his first couple months with us, and Brown hasn't done anything inherently poorly in his two appearances so far.

You are a very strange poster. You started off by libelling the club (I wonder if anyone screenshotted that?) and now are going off on one about defensive recruitment, despite the issues having been discussed many times and people making it clear that since we have a spot free then Mous is neither here nor there.

Strange or not, ironic coming from you.

No need to screenshot, I’ll repeat, although has it been removed? I didn’t remove it.

It’s all linked. Robinson counts him as a part of the first team squad. Hence why’s he’s part of the first team match day squad.

Why then didn’t he start Tuesday? Would you prefer a experienced pro like him or a championship reserve who the manager has said has never played in the system we played on Tuesday night?

Why didn’t the defensive coach, Mous, say to the manager about this?

We failed in the window when it came to defensive options and you won’t find one person who follows Ox who disagrees.

Do you?

How do u know he isn’t a capable coach?

Your either making things up in your own head about brown envelopes or you have some inside info, which is it?

Re his coaching ability’s, I don’t, just like Joel doesn’t.

I want to know why he isn’t starting a game like Tuesday. Accy would have been watched, we would have known how they set up and how they play.

So to play a reserve utility defender in this game was poor management from Robinson and the coaching team especially when you have an experienced defender in “Mous” not in the starting 11.

As for the rest.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

What’s in it for Ox to carry a passenger in the senior playing squad….

Is Mousinho's PFA role a paid one ? If it is - and paid handsomely at that - then perhaps his role wit us is unpaid in return for a squad place. The coaching aspect can only be good for us in the long run as he'd undoubtedly be a name in the frame for the future. Either way, he's worth a squad place. Good character, useful coming on to help shore things up and takes one hell of a spot kick - think play offs, final, he's a virtual guarantee from 12 yards.

But useless in a emergency when your first choice CB has to take time away for personal reasons…

Re his coaching ability’s, I don’t, just like Joel doesn’t.

I want to know why he isn’t starting a game like Tuesday. Accy would have been watched, we would have known how they set up and how they play.

So to play a reserve utility defender in this game was poor management from Robinson and the coaching team especially when you have an experienced defender in “Mous” not in the starting 11.

As for the rest.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

What’s in it for Ox to carry a passenger in the senior playing squad….
perhaps although 'not fit' to put in 90 mins he's good in the dressing room,.... as in he does card tricks, entertains the other squad players by singing songs or telling jokes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom