Away Match Build Up +++ 07/08/2021 L1 : Cambridge United v OUFC +++

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkG

++daily mail extract++
Cambridge United chief executive, Ian Mather, hopes the players’ support for vaccinations will help bump up take-up among younger peope in local areas and bring fans back safely.

‘It’s important for as many of the population as possible to be vaccinated to help restrict the spread of the virus among players and fans,’ he said. ‘We want to make this as safe an environment as we can.’

---

As usual, clubs will have to agree capacities for matches with the local Safety Advisory Group, which is made up of transport and public health officials and the emergency services, among others.

Cambridge United have been given the go ahead for full capacity for two preseason friendlies against QPR and Northampton Town, although the club does not expect many over 2,000 fans to attend.

However, the club is hopeful it will come close to a full house of 8,000 for their first League One fixture, following promotion last season, when they take on Oxford United on August 7.

‘We are working on the basis that for our first league game against Oxford we will be at full capacity,’ said Mather, who will not be implementing Covid Passports.
‘We are recommending people to wear masks and we will have sanitiser and asking people to respect other people’s distance where possible.’
Where there are spare seats, fans will be able to ask stewards to move them if they want more space

Yes it does. 1,400 I believe.
I guess the two clubs are still at a wait and see stage, but at some point soon it would be nice to know the away ticket details:-
Price, allocation, pay-in-advance / pay-on-the door?
Will we have to get to the ground an hour early for instance?
Article above suggests we won't need a vaccine passport (and presumably won't need a proof of negative test either)

Traditionally the first away game of the season gets a good crowd. I doubt we will take the 1400 though as it is quite a trek from Oxford and I guess a significant number won't go due to Covid for various reasons.

Been looking forward to this. Chance for a weekend away and a footy match. Good weather and it'll be a walk around the "backs" and maybe a punt on the Cam (stood on the wrong end, of course!)

I guess the two clubs are still at a wait and see stage, but at some point soon it would be nice to know the away ticket details:-
Price, allocation, pay-in-advance / pay-on-the door?
Will we have to get to the ground an hour early for instance?
Article above suggests we won't need a vaccine passport (and presumably won't need a proof of negative test either)

Traditionally the first away game of the season gets a good crowd. I doubt we will take the 1400 though as it is quite a trek from Oxford and I guess a significant number won't go due to Covid for various reasons.

Easy enough on the trains and will appeal to London based fans..

You’d hope we get more than 1400 as they’ll go instantly imo. Think normally Cambridge give 1600 behind the goal and 1000 on the terrace if that sells out.

Quite a trek???? 🧐🤨

Quite a trek???? 🧐🤨
Not as far as I thought, but I think it's all A roads rather than motorways. Alternatively the train into London and back out again is more of a triangle route rather than direct.

Perhaps why there has been several years of looking at a new expressway or direct train service between the two cities.

Anyway, its sold out, so my thoughts that many fans would avoid the game due to Covid fears would appear to have been overly pessimistic.

Not as far as I thought, but I think it's all A roads rather than motorways. Alternatively the train into London and back out again is more of a triangle route rather than direct.

Perhaps why there has been several years of looking at a new expressway or direct train service between the two cities.

Anyway, its sold out, so my thoughts that many fans would avoid the game due to Covid fears would appear to have been overly pessimistic.
The last away game we could go to was Shrewsbury in March 2020 and what a day that was.
Idiots aside, the scenes at Wembley during the Euros showed just how much fans wanted to be back in the grounds after 17 months of Covid restrictions so with that in mind I think this first game, whether close by at Wycombe, further afield at Cambridge or half a day away at Sunderland, was always going to be a sell out. And that’s before the added sweetener of some quality signings that’ve brought a real sense of pre season optimism.
Can’t wait.

You won’t be able to watch Saturday 3pm games on iFollow anymore, we are back to pre pandemic rules
But tickets to Cambridge away are sold out? So during a time of financial difficulty for clubs I’m willing to give them £10 to watch my team live, but they won’t take it despite it not having any effect on the live attendance whatsoever? How does that make sense??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom