Away Match Day Thread +++ 07/07/19 PSF: - Glasgow Rangers v OUFC MDT +++

Don't believe everything you read as no Rangers fan would ever say we're only a few years old in the first place, sounds like a Celtic fan s**t stirring, so ignore.

It was a decent game, I think Oxford looked good at times and I hope yous do well.

Surprisingly enough, on an Oxford page...I'm actually an Oxford fan.

There are more than two teams in Scotland, as it goes, and I don't like either Celtic or Sevco.

Surprisingly enough, on an Oxford page...I'm actually an Oxford fan.

There are more than two teams in Scotland, as it goes, and I don't like either Celtic or Sevco.
Wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at the person that commented on your post.

7b4898bc68be462fb23d5e751e17f53a.jpg
would love to have a pub like this as dedicated to oufc

Well the majority of Scottish football is awful. Your top league probably has 6 teams that would compete above League 2. Celtic and Rangers [Top end Championship] Aberdeen Hibs [Bottom Championship], Kilmarnock Hearts [League one]

As for commenting on our performance, we're 2 games behind you and your 2nd string side would breeze league one. We're not a bad side and if we played you end of pre season it would've been a lot tighter...

The thing is though that’s not true at all. Most English fans have no idea what level Scottish premiership sides are because they never watch our games. The bury side we played and beat 6-0 last year would do well to stay in the Scottish championship never mind the premiership, there’s no way the bottom 6 in Scotland are league 2 level or as poor as bury.

Celtic and Rangers could survive in the premier league, we’re nowhere near the top end but the likes of Brighton, Huddersfield and Cardiff last season are inferior. Aberdeen, Hibs, Kilmarnock and Hearts are all championship sides at various levels and Motherwell, St Johnstone etc would be comparable to a bottom end championship side.

With all due respect the lad Alex Gorrin that you signed couldn’t get a game for Motherwell but walks into your team.

The inflated wages you can offer don’t create the gap to Scottish football that you think it should. It’s easy to get your back up when social media is filled with “my nan would score 50 goals in the Scottish league” lads.

I like Oxford though and I’d like to see you guys get a crack at the championship, your fans were great today and good luck for the season ahead.

The thing is though that’s not true at all. Most English fans have no idea what level Scottish premiership sides are because they never watch our games. The bury side we played and beat 6-0 last year would do well to stay in the Scottish championship never mind the premiership, there’s no way the bottom 6 in Scotland are league 2 level or as poor as bury.

Celtic and Rangers could survive in the premier league, we’re nowhere near the top end but the likes of Brighton, Huddersfield and Cardiff last season are inferior. Aberdeen, Hibs, Kilmarnock and Hearts are all championship sides at various levels and Motherwell, St Johnstone etc would be comparable to a bottom end championship side.

With all due respect the lad Alex Gorrin that you signed couldn’t get a game for Motherwell but walks into your team.

The inflated wages you can offer don’t create the gap to Scottish football that you think it should. It’s easy to get your back up when social media is filled with “my nan would score 50 goals in the Scottish league” lads.

I like Oxford though and I’d like to see you guys get a crack at the championship, your fans were great today and good luck for the season ahead.
If you say so. Although St Johnston and Motherwell are definitely not Championship sides. I dont know how you can say that when players who struggled in league one have scored goals for fun up there.

And to think I got criticised when I said I didn’t think Long was good enough to start at right back, especially as our turnaround in fortune towards the end of last season was down to him, and that I didn’t know enough about football.

I am worried. Very worried. And embarrassed by that performance. I am gutted for the fans who spent £100+++ to attend. I watched all of the UK pre-season games on 18/19. A good preseason builds confidence. I can see a repeat of 18/19 but maybe that's all we have the budget for in 19/20?

And to think I got criticised when I said I didn’t think Long was good enough to start at right back, especially as our turnaround in fortune towards the end of last season was down to him, and that I didn’t know enough about football.
Agree. There are some posters on here who cannot accept an alternative viewpoint to their own.

with respect a bad game does not mean is not good enough....people will always have differing opinions on players and there is no right or wrong

I am worried. Very worried. And embarrassed by that performance. I am gutted for the fans who spent £100+++ to attend. I watched all of the UK pre-season games on 18/19. A good preseason builds confidence. I can see a repeat of 18/19 but maybe that's all we have the budget for in 19/20?
What did you expect? We played against a far better team away who were far further through their pre season.
I am not surprised at all with what happened. It wasnt the performance to me that was the issue ( it was a first fitness game). I think that the club were cashing in and from a footballing perspective it didnt make sense.

Can you imagine the meltdown on this forum if we lose to Oxford city Tomorrow....get a grip.

That friendly was more for the fans to have a jolly up in Glasgow. For the team it was purely a fitness exercise.

To read anything into the game from performance/tactical perspective is pointless.

You are 100% right. It was a friendly to keep the 'momentum' going of decent pre-season games/trips - something we have been lucky to have been afforded over the last five years (Austria/Spain/Portugal/Ireland and now Scotland). Fair play for the club to getting these done because most clubs don't embrace the fans in pre-season as ours do.

That said, everything doesn't need to be black and white.

And it's a fair observation, by the way my personal player observations - Gorrin (MOTM for Oxford) & Mous were good, Fosu looked promising as did a host of the kids - Jack Stevens, Lofthouse and Allardyce for example, but my god does this Board need to back it's manager. We are very very threadbare.

I still think one senior player will depart to free up some of the wage bill.

You are 100% right. It was a friendly to keep the 'momentum' going of decent pre-season games/trips - something we have been lucky to have been afforded over the last five years (Austria/Spain/Portugal/Ireland and now Scotland). Fair play for the club to getting these done because most clubs don't embrace the fans in pre-season as ours do.

That said, everything doesn't need to be black and white.

And it's a fair observation, by the way my personal player observations - Gorrin (MOTM for Oxford) & Mous were good, Fosu looked promising as did a host of the kids - Jack Stevens, Lofthouse and Allardyce for example, but my god does this Board need to back it's manager. We are very very threadbare.

I still think one senior player will depart to free up some of the wage bill.
Interesting to hear your comments especially with regard to Mous ( who was being slated on here)

I thought Mous was good in the first half. Defended quite well, was strong, especially as they were cutting us apart with their pace and trickery in the box. Dickie wasn't bad. Gorrin was stand-out, looks a quality player, huge upgrade on Hanson/Kashi in midfield.

Whyte was isolated as a centre-forward, Hall had five good minutes but to be expected having been out for a long period. Napa is never a centre forward as long as I have a hole in my bottom :oops:

Had to visit one of the most atmospheric stadia in Britain. Great night out in the West End last night via the Louden Bar where the United Loyalist flag was getting a good reception.

The game was a total non-event; actually quite inspiring that our name alone attracted 22000 to the game. Fitness exercise really. Thought Hall looked to be moving far more freely at least.

Difficult to judge Rangers standard in these strange circumstances. I’d say top of the Championship.

I thought Mous was good in the first half. Defended quite well, was strong, especially as they were cutting us apart with their pace and trickery in the box. Dickie wasn't bad. Gorrin was stand-out, looks a quality player, huge upgrade on Hanson/Kashi in midfield.

Whyte was isolated as a centre-forward, Hall had five good minutes but to be expected having been out for a long period. Napa is never a centre forward as long as I have a hole in my bottom :oops:
Gorrin was everywhere, but in a professional match he'd have been at risk of a couple of bookings within the first half.

Can imagine him missing more than a few games through suspension next year.

Back
Top Bottom