Away Match Day Thread +++ 07/07/19 PSF: - Glasgow Rangers v OUFC MDT +++

I have been involved in a few team building exercises over the years. In general the goal of team building is to create a more cohesive, effective team. So pre-season take the squad away for warm weather fitness training, integrate any new team members. Sounds easy, all good so far.

Fly them to Scotland to get trounced by a second-string Rangers team and I believe travel home from Glasgow the same evening on a coach. Not sure if some of the "good" that had undoubtedly been achieved in the Algarve may have been undone. Perhaps I am being cynical, there must have been some money incentive ie share of gate receipts otherwise I don’t get it.

Recently, pre-season has also been about having time away for the fans. We've done a few weeks away which have given something for the fans to get involved in too. With the emphasis on a fitness camp in Portugal, this was an opportunity to have a big game in front of a very decent away support. The result is pretty much irrelevant. I'm sure most of the fans who went had a great time. The first team players had a good workout, the kids got to play in a big stadium. That is all important regardless of any perceived team building exercise!

Humped 5 nil from minor league team,doesn't say much about Oxford .stick to league 1 clown
Well done for missing the point entirely.

All the best for the season ahead.

First thing I think of when I hear 'Big club mentality' and 'one of the biggest teams in Europe', is fans creating a new account to laud an incosequential friendly victory on the forum of a different club just looking to entertain themselves in defeat with mild mockery.

Well done for missing the point entirely.

All the best for the season ahead.
Same to yous actually came on to forum for serious conversations but all I've seen are posts putting Rangers and Scottish football down ?

It’s all tongue in cheek.

The vast majority of people on here recognise that the top two clubs in Scotland are massive with huge support.

As for Scottish football outside of those two, I think it’s nowhere near the standard of the PL or Championship. Take Greg Stewart, he was great today and will do well this season but he flopped massively at a Championship team. We’ve had a few too. Kane Hemmings, who has a great record up North but didn’t do it for us and now is found languishing in non-league with Notts County.

It’s no surprise. The lack on TV money in Scotland is a huge factor. We’re able to spend more on wages than a lot of the SPL and we’re in L1.

Same to yous actually came on to forum for serious conversations but all I've seen are posts putting Rangers and Scottish football down ?
Yes it’s just meant as humorous banter, maybe you don’t understand our English sense of humour! I don’t think you saw the true Oxford today as we don’t really have a full first team yet, we need to make some signings

1. No, they’d be more embarrassed by the claiming of the history, but the denial of the debt and other responsibilities. What the rest of us might call “cheating”.

2. In a pre-season friendly? Not sure any of us give a flying one, old son.
Don't believe everything you read as no Rangers fan would ever say we're only a few years old in the first place, sounds like a Celtic fan s**t stirring, so ignore.

It was a decent game, I think Oxford looked good at times and I hope yous do well.

I wonder what Tiger's take on the game was? Meaningless match result really but the nagging question does not go away - are we viable, can we pay our bills on time, and, after the much heralded "recruitment" meeting in Glasgow - are we going to actually 'buy' any more players? Loaning several 'posers' from Premiership clubs is not the answer - could be an interesting week?

Hi guys, although a win is nice, I wouldn't be to concerned about today's friendly, it's all about game time for both teams, it's certainly not going to be the most important result to Oxford or ourselves.
Good traveling support today, hope they all had and to overnighters still having a great time in and around the city, both teams will be firing on all cylinders in a few weeks.
All the best for the season

Given that Rangers are roughly at the level of a top Championship side, then we are basically a league and a half below them in quality. So, if in a couple of weeks time when we’re ahead in our preparations, we beat a bottom League 2 side who are in their first game of pre-season, will we suddenly be super confident of our chances?

I doubt it, because the naysayers (rightly so) will point out that we’ve had preseasons where we’ve smashed teams below us and players have looked word beaters (Jamie Guy anyone?) and yet still not done well in the actual season proper.

Let’s give it a few games against different levels of opposition to judge, shall we? Same goes to players. Maybe Sam Long is well off the pace, will be replaced and barely feature this season, I fully accept that, but I don’t think one game against Rangers away should be all it takes to firmly hammer the nails in his coffin.

Well the majority of Scottish football is awful. Your top league probably has 6 teams that would compete above League 2. Celtic and Rangers [Top end Championship] Aberdeen Hibs [Bottom Championship], Kilmarnock Hearts [League one]

As for commenting on our performance, we're 2 games behind you and your 2nd string side would breeze league one. We're not a bad side and if we played you end of pre season it would've been a lot tighter...

I wonder what Tiger's take on the game was? Meaningless match result really but the nagging question does not go away - are we viable, can we pay our bills on time, and, after the much heralded "recruitment" meeting in Glasgow - are we going to actually 'buy' any more players? Loaning several 'posers' from Premiership clubs is not the answer - could be an interesting week?

I'm sure Tiger wasn't too worried about what he saw on the pitch, we didn't learn anything we didn't know or won't improve with more game time.

However, I'm sure it has been good to establish contacts at Rangers (and possibly Celtic with the training arrangements). It's an opportunity to sell ourselves as a club who support and develop young players, and go about things the right way. It may have also been an opportunity to bring Chris Cadden in or to look at other targets north of the border.

As for the concerns about paying our bills on time and buying players, I would suggest looking at the facts rather than rumours!

Just got back to Chester and what a great weekend it was!

A few things from the weekend:

-Last night the Scott's I came across couldn't of been more welcoming and seemed happy to mingle with us.
-You can't help but be impressed by Ibrox. The stadium is amazing and I'm glad that I have now been.
-You could tell it was the first friendly and the players lacked that match sharpness. Even in the warm up during a passing drill players were hitting wayward passes.
-Gorrin looks very good IMO and was impressed how much he seemed to talk to the players around him.
-Fosu was frustrating wanting to always beat one too many players rather than pass it to a team mate.
-You could tell Rangers are well ahead of us in regards to fitness levels due to having had a longer pre season than us.
-Our pace up top will scare a lot of teams in this league.
-It is vital we find a new CB and RB.

-The one sour point for me was the Rangers fan who got kicked out after just 20 minutes. A little girl was sat near by and was visibly upset by it and ended up leaving the match and not returning. That one bloke might of scared that little girl forever and she now might not want to go to another game. I was shocked that Ranger's fans around him didn't try and shut him up as shouting 'peado' around families isn't big or clever. It was embarrassing to see how some of their fans got so angry when it was just a pre season friendly!
-I'm also not sure what happened with the guy up by the singers but it was embarrassing to watch Oxford fans argue amongst themselves like that.

Other than that it was a great weekend away.

Hi guys, although a win is nice, I wouldn't be to concerned about today's friendly, it's all about game time for both teams, it's certainly not going to be the most important result to Oxford or ourselves.
Good traveling support today, hope they all had and to overnighters still having a great time in and around the city, both teams will be firing on all cylinders in a few weeks.
All the best for the season
The thing that annoyed me was listening to your commentators saying you had sold 46,000 Season tickets and still had a queue for tickets, I wish we could have 50% of that but alas we can’t get that, good luck for your coming season.

When I saw the score, I knew some fans would be having their first crisis of the new season.

Today was our first game after the players have been run ragged in Portugal, against a team ahead in their pre-season program. And with plenty of gaps in the squad. A little annoying, but such is pre-season life

Just got back to Chester and what a great weekend it was!

A few things from the weekend:

-Last night the Scott's I came across couldn't of been more welcoming and seemed happy to mingle with us.
-You can't help but be impressed by Ibrox. The stadium is amazing and I'm glad that I have now been.
-You could tell it was the first friendly and the players lacked that match sharpness. Even in the warm up during a passing drill players were hitting wayward passes.
-Gorrin looks very good IMO and was impressed how much he seemed to talk to the players around him.
-Fosu was frustrating wanting to always beat one too many players rather than pass it to a team mate.
-You could tell Rangers are well ahead of us in regards to fitness levels due to having had a longer pre season than us.
-Our pace up top will scare a lot of teams in this league.
-It is vital we find a new CB and RB.

-The one sour point for me was the Rangers fan who got kicked out after just 20 minutes. A little girl was sat near by and was visibly upset by it and ended up leaving the match and not returning. That one bloke might of scared that little girl forever and she now might not want to go to another game. I was shocked that Ranger's fans around him didn't try and shut him up as shouting 'peado' around families isn't big or clever. It was embarrassing to see how some of their fans got so angry when it was just a pre season friendly!
-I'm also not sure what happened with the guy up by the singers but it was embarrassing to watch Oxford fans argue amongst themselves like that.

Other than that it was a great weekend away.

Lewis Mayo is CB and I think he'll get sent out on loan, he's one of the guys that scored today, I'll be honest I haven't really seen him play as I dozed off in the 2nd half when he was on lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom