Home Match Day Thread +++ 07/04/2018 OUFC v Oldham Athletic Match Day Thread +++

I thought we were lucky the ref didn't give them a pen in 1st half, seen them given.

If you mean when the no.3 went down, it wasn't a penalty from where I was sat in the East Stand. He felt Henry (iirc) near him and threw himself to the ground when he was in a great position.

southend and doncaster will have nothing to play for which should help,hopefully.Actually pleased Mowatt will be back on tuesday should be really fired up.And we played well when he was on the pitch at pompey

southend and doncaster will have nothing to play for which should help,hopefully.Actually pleased Mowatt will be back on tuesday should be really fired up.And we played well when he was on the pitch at pompey

A good chance for Mowatt to show a bit of class and make an impact on what will be a really important game.

.....and Fleetwood against who are head to head record is played 7, drawn 1, lost 6

Yep, which is why I felt today was a proper must win, simply because we needed to take some confidence into 2 difficult home games against bogey teams.

This is like swimming through treacle!! Christ knows what is going to happen.

Come on lads.. give it everything you’ve got. We have to stay up.

Thomas and Obika are decent lower League strikers. The stress on them comes from the fact that we don’t have any wingers. They should just be focusing on knocking in all the crosses coming in, but since there aren’t any they have to make their own chances by tussling weekly with northern monsters

Mous was good today. Only once did I have to peek though my fingers at the sight of him buggering around on the edge of his own box.

Kane I like. Great attitude. Ledson we will miss when he's gone. Don't understand some posters saying he's tactically inept. He kept chasing for 95 minutes and won more tackles than he lost. That's his role.

I thought it was a penalty in the first half. Lucky escape.

Henry is much better in the middle. I'd like to see him in the 10 role on Tuesday, with wes thomas as the lone striker. 3 up top is fine in principle but the forward players today were too far apart for the quick forward balls into Obika to have any effect.

Love a bit of Dickie.

Love a bit of Riccy. The run from Eastwood's throw out was immense.

We will stay up. Don't fret. Stay positive. Good signs of togetherness today. We have just enough to eke out 4 points before a big summer rebuild.

How do we teach the south stand to sing yellow submarine?

Win or lose up the u's.

Thomas and Obika are decent lower League strikers. The stress on them comes from the fact that we don’t have any wingers. They should just be focusing on knocking in all the crosses coming in, but since there aren’t any they have to make their own chances by tussling weekly with northern monsters
Obika will never be a striker who scores a lot from crosses because he's just so passive in an attacking sense. He never gets in the box to attack the ball, he always wants it into feet which is a much harder pass to play. For such a big bloke he doesn't use it, he could be a real bully at this level if he was a bit nasty.

Thomas isn't very good either. We've got some really, really crap strikers.

Obika will never be a striker who scores a lot from crosses because he's just so passive in an attacking sense. He never gets in the box to attack the ball, he always wants it into feet which is a much harder pass to play. For such a big bloke he doesn't use it, he could be a real bully at this level if he was a bit nasty.

Thomas isn't very good either. We've got some really, really crap strikers.
Thomas is a really crafty poacher. I agree that Obika could be more threatening given his magnificent physique. To do well at this level you need better strikers but it’s not fair to blame them for our problems

We have to be consistently quicker getting the ball from back to front. We looked better defending today when the back 4 weren't having to pass it between themselves and the ball was left with Oldham's back 4 to deal with. Obika for all his issues, gives us something up front that may not on the front of it look good, but what it does for the areas of the pitch we play in, is good enough to make us harder to beat.

Obika demonstrates why Ryan Taylor was a good target man. Whilst he wasn't a goalscorer, neither is Obika, but at least he generally won his battles to lay it off to others or could hold it until they got there.

I thought we lost something when Ruffels had to go off as Ricci and him were linking pretty well, have faith we will limp through others have to play each other to some extent and they can't all win, fingernails job but we'll get there. Thought defence not too bad today Dickie immense, and Obika does add strength in defence when he plays in this area, but he does leave a lot to be desired up front. Henry struggled today and when he does we are not a good.

Ricardinho is like a fish out of water when playing on the left wing, so it was a blessings in disguise when Ruffels went off in my opinion.

Think it would have been better the other way around e.g. Ricardinho at left back and Ruffels left wing, but even that scares me!

Last edited:
We have to be consistently quicker getting the ball from back to front. We looked better defending today when the back 4 weren't having to pass it between themselves and the ball was left with Oldham's back 4 to deal with. Obika for all his issues, gives us something up front that may not on the front of it look good, but what it does for the areas of the pitch we play in, is good enough to make us harder to beat.

Obika? really? Not on today’s showing and many other performances.

He’s bloody frustrating! He lacks strength, passion, desire, pace, poor in the air and will to win. Needs a f*****g rocket up his a**e.

I actually thought that Obika got his head to quite a lot, and wasn't bad at holding it up (for a while). The main problem was that no one was anywhere near where the ball went after he headed it. Well none of our players were. Not really surprising if there's just the one up top who ends it further on.

I actually thought that Obika got his head to quite a lot, and wasn't bad at holding it up (for a while). The main problem was that no one was anywhere near where the ball went after he headed it. Well none of our players were. Not really surprising if there's just the one up top who ends it further on.

I agree, the centre midfielders didn't push up enough at times. It wasn't even really Obika's first touch that was the problem, it was his 2nd and 3rd touches/his passes afterwards that were often poor. I think the fact that he would win it in the air and bring the ball down ok and then take a heavy touch/misplace a pass made it more frustrating than if he'd just had a poor first touch in the first place.

Thought Dickie was superb but disagree with a few on here that Kane had a good game. Plenty of effort yes but got skinned so many times by their winger, he simply took the ball down and cut inside Kane and left him trailing.

Thought Dickie was superb but disagree with a few on here that Kane had a good game. Plenty of effort yes but got skinned so many times by their winger, he simply took the ball down and cut inside Kane and left him trailing.

Other than Dickie, am struggling to see the plaudits that so many are giving so many of our players. Versus a fellow relegation candidate at home we shared possession 50/50 and had three shots on target. That is truly pathetic, no?
They really must do better against Fleetwood, who have better players than Oldham and will take all three points if we put on such an impoverished display. A home side that carries no threat is there for the taking.

Back
Top Bottom