Home Match Day Thread +++06/10/2019 OUFC V Portsmouth leasing.com trophy +++

Watched the YouTube highlights. Wtf was Ruffels doing for both goals? I don’t even think Moore’s pass sold him short he just didn’t seem to be switched on at all.

However it’s pointless cup so I’d much prefer him do it tonight rather than at the weekend. But maybe it would have been an idea to rest him and give Berkoe a shot?

However it’s pointless cup so I’d much prefer him do it tonight rather than at the weekend. But maybe it would have been an idea to rest him and give Berkoe a shot?

Berkoe unfit, he was intended to play but dropped out early in the week.

Probably still would have been a better bet to put Long there and A.N.Other at right fullback....Jones, Allardyce or Sade.

Since Shandon got all the rave reviews after the west ham match it sounds like his form has dipped a bit . Time for a quiet word perhaps.
I might be putting two and two together and making 5 but talk of him playing for England with premier league teams watching, coinciding with a dip in form in the last couple of games... I’m wondering if somethings already happening. Hope I’m wrong but I reckon he might be gone in January.

EGZFfu7WkAUB5cb

Well, that was disappointing. That’s the problem with playing almost a first team when they play kids - if we don’t win convincingly, it doesn’t look great. It didn’t seem like we were fully up for it at times. When the young players Sole and Lopes came on they lifted us - I think they should have started, inject that energy and desire into a flat performance.

Matt Taylor took his goal well and could have had more in a first half we dominated, and Dickie also scored a good goal and seemed a cut above, but pretty much everyone else was average at best, and a few players were very poor: Don’t know what’s happened to Shandon Baptiste but he was poor on Saturday and worse here, Robinson hooked him off and was furious with him at the time. Moore was also much worse than he has been recently. Ruffels tired maybe? And as had been mentioned Eastwood slow off his line for their second. Agyei looked absolutely shot of confidence and could barely do anything right.

Still, we could have scored more in that first half, especially Sykes who missed an absolutely golden opportunity when he was clean through.

On the plus side, could Sole be a player?? I’d like to see more of him

I might be putting two and two together and making 5 but talk of him playing for England with premier league teams watching, coinciding with a dip in form in the last couple of games... I’m wondering if somethings already happening. Hope I’m wrong but I reckon he might be gone in January.

Duration of the contract he's on....we'd get a fortune. If we didn't hold an auction for him I'd be distraught.

I think its more to do with him not going to Grenada. Hope he wasn't talked into it and now its affecting him.

Good. I will never accept this tournament. Under 21 teams is an insult.

Theoretical scenario, for the sake of argument.

When KR takes us to the promised land and in four years time when we are well established in the top flight...

...who in this forum would be rather more interested in watching our own u21s enter such a comp, and would follow them to away games?

I must admit our youth team gaining an impressive 3-0 away win at The Skip vs the reptilian first XI would be the height of bragging rights not yet scaled...

When KR takes us to the promised land and in four years time when we are well established in the top flight...

...who in this forum would be rather more interested in watching our own u21s enter such a comp, and would follow them to away games?

I must admit our youth team gaining an impressive 3-0 away win at The Skip vs the reptilian first XI would be the height of bragging rights not yet scaled...

Would have no interest whatsoever myself. Sometimes as a footy fan you have to put rivalries aside for the greater good.

I would love that, but it still wouldn’t make it right.

Cup competitions in their current state won’t last much longer anyway so the bigger argument will come once the big shake up happens, I reckon under 21s in the new league cup once the top flight teams pull the first teams out of that competition.

We played really poorly. Imo only brannigan had a decent game and maybe our centre backs. Dickie really needs to learn how to head a ball from a corner, he could and shoild of have had a hat trick of headed goals. Thought hall, sykes and especially Baptiste were really poor with both passing and dribbling way off norm. Eastwood pulled off a great save on the one on one but then again at fault for their 2nd goal not coming out quick enough.
That's a fair summary of the match IMO. Brannagan and the Pompey goalie were the stand out players on the pitch. I believe we've taken over 80 corners in first team games this season without scoring from one? Not much of a concern when you're smacking goals in from 20+ yards but it's a trend that should be bucked.

Since Shandon got all the rave reviews after the west ham match it sounds like his form has dipped a bit . Time for a quiet word perhaps.

Robinson, quiet words?? Maybe the best is no words and just let the lad play football...

I think its more to do with him not going to Grenada. Hope he wasn't talked into it and now its affecting him.

Or it could simply be the pressures being put on him by an excitable manager and fan base after a few very good performances. Let’s just remember the lads age, remember the shocking injury he’s come back from. He’ll be inconsistent, how many youngsters at this level aren’t. The management and fans need to ease expectations and let him grow into his role naturally.

Back
Top Bottom