Ref Watch 06/07/2020 OUFC V Pompey L1 Play Off Semi Final L2 - Darren England

How was Darren England's performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
He should have sent off Marquis for dive (second yellow). Made a few errors.

Honestly, I thought both the ref today and Gavin Ward on Friday were fine.

Not perfect, but not the inept, unfit incompetents we sometimes get in League One.

It's another small reason why we'd be better off in the Championship!

Missed or overuled his assistants far far too often ....seemed to fall for every Pompey player squealing if they were looked at by anyone in a yellow shirt...booked Long for absolutely nothing , chose not to caution Curtis, Marquis or most unbelievably Brown - who tried to rip Agyeis shirt off ....if he'd have been consistent with his yellow cards I'd have maybe marked him 5 or even 6 ...he wasn't. Like Sky TVs commentary and pundit teams, he was biased in favour of Portsmouth ...a 3 from me

Last edited:
Was good to start, got worse as the game went on. Not sure about Gorrin's but Taylor probably should have been send off. Mind you, Agyei definitely should have won a pen so shouldn't have gone to ET. Ah well

I thought the ref was decent. Not the usual whistle happy, attention seeking refs we normally see officiating at L1.

I thought he was OK as well. The penalty was more a yes than no for me, similar to Pompey's on Friday. Bookings all OK as well. You can see he has reffed at a higher level than the usual toss we see every weekend.

Also, he's one of those refs that take the yellow out and walk around with it pre-booking...no "ooh, look at me, will it be a yellow or red, please everyone give me attention". I like this way of doing it.

Given him a six. I agree with the positive aspects above but felt he missed some real obvious issues that had the potential to explode a firey game into a brawl if there’d been a raucous crowd in the players ears. And I’ve no idea how he missed Sykes being cleaned out after the cross ditto that Lino. I thought the level of player frustration with him by the players mirrored the occasion but equally a few naff calls.

He should have sent off two of ours today - straight reds for two bad tackles. Thought he was pretty good

I didnt think either tackle deserved a red. How he managed to miss Agyei having his shirt almost pulled off for a penalty i don't know.

I thought he was OK as well. The penalty was more a yes than no for me, similar to Pompey's on Friday. Bookings all OK as well. You can see he has reffed at a higher level than the usual toss we see every weekend.

Also, he's one of those refs that take the yellow out and walk around with it pre-booking...no "ooh, look at me, will it be a yellow or red, please everyone give me attention". I like this way of doing it.

Yes I noticed that too, there was no drama to his decision making. He was decisive and I think he got the big calls just about right. Gorrin and Taylor’s yellows were borderline but think they were both just a bit more yellow than they were red. Agyei was definitely pulled back but they’re difficult to see and any ref needs help from his assistants to spot those blind side offences. I think all referees are a bit reluctant to give those as there’s often the assumption that a bit of shirt pulling at a dead ball is a two way situation with both players doing it.

If we had refs of this standard all season we wouldn't need a ref watch section. He did fine. Same as Friday.

Did ok, missed Brown's constant shirt tugging on our players and was a bit players scream, give a foul at times.

But no major mistakes either. When you think about how some of the Refs like Trevor Kettle love to be the talking point from the game, Darren England did his best to be the opposite.

I love how everyone says the ref was fine when the big decisions went our way! We had 2 challenges that were borderline red cards (although I feel they were yellows, maybe I’m too biased). But then again we were denied a stonewall before it went to extra time when they nearly pulled Agyei’s shirt off. Not the worst ref we’ve ever had but he was poor.

I love how everyone says the ref was fine when the big decisions went our way! We had 2 challenges that were borderline red cards (although I feel they were yellows, maybe I’m too biased). But then again we were denied a stonewall before it went to extra time when they nearly pulled Agyei’s shirt off. Not the worst ref we’ve ever had but he was poor.

He was decent enough though.

All the big decisions didn't go our way so he was by accident kind of consistent in his disciplinary actions. He could have booked a couple of their players for persistent misconduct including McGeehan who he had just warned yet committed 2 more fouls not long after. Also add in when Sam Long got booked, Ronan Curtis petutantly kicked out 2 footed at Longy's body in the immediate aftermath of the foul, This should have been an automatic Red Card which is what incensed Sam Long and what he was arguing with the Ref about.

He also booked Browne for 'kicking the ball away' (really just back to where the free kick ought to be taken) and then did absolutely nothing when a Portsmouth player did the same a few minutes later. I would have thought it was easier for the ref without a crowd (less pressure, easier to hear etc). Not sure it worked out that way though.

He let McGheehan get away with one naughty challenge at least early on, so I'm fine with him not punishing our players. You can argue he erred, but he was at least consistent erring.

Unlike some other Refs

These refs in the last 2 games have been alot better than we are used to in league 1. Overall the 2 games, both pompey and us should have had a pen, pompey should of been down to 10 first leg, we should of been down to 10 in second leg. I think Taylors was a red, Gorrins a strong yellow. I like that the refs weren't card happy and tried to let the game flow.

I think the refs are making allowances for the players being rusty yet (unlike a normal pre-season) having to try to play at 100% and hence mistimed tackles etc. Which is very sensible.

Not sure how the bloke trying to undress Dan Agyei got away with it though.

There is know way he was biased towards Pompey @Sarge..Could Gorrin have seen Red ? Taylor ?

As with the ref Friday i thought he handled the game well and sensibly.

Fridays ref I gave a 5 - its all a matter of opinion I s'pose.... last nights ref was not consistent in his awarding/ not awarding of cautions, the way I saw it ,... it was a very generous award of 3 from me :sneaky:

Back
Top Bottom