+++ 06/07/20 L1 Play Off Semi Final: Leg 2 - OUFC v Pompey +++

No, he was especially and unusually poor at right back at times, and also early on in DCM when he gave away a crazy penalty at one point as I remember. However, he seems to have got a lot better recently and I agree, would be a solid L1 central midfielder
It's great how we are already talking about leaving L1 behind. Good enough for L1 but not for a championship side!

Eastwood - 7 - Would say unsighted for the goal, couple of other saves + another brilliant penalty stop

Ruffels - 6 - Definitely seemed to be targeted, did ok but Williams had a good game
Moore - 7 - Bit shaky first half + lost too many headers but improved as game went on
Dickie - 9 - Gargantuan. Won virtually everything, even after Pompey started fouling him.
Long - 9 - Outstanding. Such an improvement from the first leg's start, Curtis completely neutralised. MOTM.

Gorrin - 6 - Bit harsh maybe, but should have done better for the goal + probably deserved a red. Still did the dirty work well.
Henry - 6 - Wasteful with too many shots really, but good delivery again. Seemed to miss Taylor when looking for a pass.
Brannagan - 8 - Looked like he was carrying a knock but worked so hard for the full 120mins, constantly pressing. Balls of steel, cracking pen.

Sykes - 8 - Worked back well + looked classy on the ball. Looking forward to him progressing further.
Mackie - 6 - Thought he did an OK job, pressed well. Pretty quiet when we were attacking however.
Browne - 7 - Looked tired but never stopped working, always a bright spark when he gets the ball.

Taylor - 7 - Thankfully looked sharp when he came on, created some decent chances. Smashing pen.
Agyei - 7 - What an impact, though decision making + tracking back could be improved, so exciting to watch.
Hanson - 6 - Surprised to see him but held his own, few decent passes.

Credit to Forde + Mous for their pens, but especially to Woodburn.

KR - 10 - Squad stretched with all the niggles, managed it really well. Brave with selection + paid off in hindsight. All the subs played their part.

Got to go through it all again next week.. Amazing hope we hit silky form It would be great to see a couple of goals at Wembley please not pens again.. Was great night... Feel rough today. Great stuff been catching up on replays and bits. Job half done for now. Is great but will take the shine of it if we don't beat Wycombe. The lads will be full of confidence now though having not really played that great over the 2 legs and to get through most of that was down to Pompey though. Hopefully Wycombe have had their best games.

No, he was especially and unusually poor at right back at times
Probably because he’s never a right back in a million years. One of the most baffling periods in the last couple of years. A Derby ST holder I occasionally cross paths with for work said at the time that he couldn’t believe we were trying to play him there. Said they tried to turn him into a defender one pre season and sacked it off when they realised even L2 players could rinse him.

Interestingly, he’s apparently a set piece dynamo. Said guy was equally stunned when I told him he doesn’t take all of our corners and free kicks when he plays. Said the main reason he had a run in Derby’s team at one point was because he was the best dead ball taker at the club, and they simply couldn’t not have him on the pitch taking them. It seems he’s got a bit of a wand on him when it comes to crossing the ball for others.

A curious one, Jamie Hanson. I actually think there’s an okay player in there, but I don’t know if we will ever get to see it.

Interestingly, he’s apparently a set piece dynamo. Said guy was equally stunned when I told him he doesn’t take all of our corners and free kicks when he plays. Said the main reason he had a run in Derby’s team at one point was because he was the best dead ball taker at the club, and they simply couldn’t not have him on the pitch taking them. It seems he’s got a bit of a wand on him when it comes to crossing the ball for others.

Really?! Strange that we’ve not seen him take any here, especially given we never score from corners and haven’t really had anyone great at taking them since he’s been here

Probably because he’s never a right back in a million years. One of the most baffling periods in the last couple of years. A Derby ST holder I occasionally cross paths with for work said at the time that he couldn’t believe we were trying to play him there. Said they tried to turn him into a defender one pre season and sacked it off when they realised even L2 players could rinse him.

A curious one, Jamie Hanson. I actually think there’s an okay player in there, but I don’t know if we will ever get to see it.
The issue with Hanson is he can be wildly inconsistent from one moment to the next. He has a decent technique on him so not a surprise he can take a decent set piece. I remember one game he played right back and could have had three assists if our finishing was better, he put in some fantastic crosses. However, he is also more than capable of putting a simple ball into touch and can't defend for toffee.

I would like Woodburn to get more time on the pitch I know he wasnt great at fratton park but I am sure he has got a lot more to contribute.

The issue with Hanson is he can be wildly inconsistent from one moment to the next. He has a decent technique on him so not a surprise he can take a decent set piece. I remember one game he played right back and could have had three assists if our finishing was better, he put in some fantastic crosses. However, he is also more than capable of putting a simple ball into touch and can't defend for toffee.
I think his natural position is actually as a conventional centre mid, not a holding mid and certainly not a right back. He’s hardly played in that role at all but when he has he’s looked okay... ish. Blackpool away last August - when we somehow lost the most one sided game I’ve seen in years - he was one of the regular centre mids in front of Gorrin and he was fine. Trouble being, that’s probably the position we struggle in the least, especially a few months ago when we had Baptiste and more wide players which meant Henry also dropped in occasionally.

I can laugh about it now, but he came on at Scunthorpe (the game where we were 3-0 up after an hour and barely clung on for a draw in the end), and committed probably the most heinous crime I’ve ever seen on a pitch. I can’t even call it a challenge, he just straight up assaulted the guy. It would’ve looked less reckless if he had driven the team bus onto the pitch and run it clean over the poor sod. Somehow he only got booked, but my god... he could’ve killed the man.

I bet you that he will benefit more than anybody if we win next week. He’s already on a good wedge, but I bet you he’s got a clause saying his wages go up if we get promoted...

Harrison did loads yesterday as he scored a fantastic goal.
For us, yes. Wasn't that effective in his day job though!

Having rewatched some of the game this morning, Mackie was a lot better on 2nd viewing with the emotion out of the way

For us, yes. Wasn't that effective in his day job though!

Having rewatched some of the game this morning, Mackie was a lot better on 2nd viewing with the emotion out of the way

Didn't Harrison flick on the ball for their goal or am I imagining that?

Didn't Harrison flick on the ball for their goal or am I imagining that?
He did, but it was a brief moment to allow Harmer to score. Whoever played up front struggled against 4 very good CBs as they had such little service in the right areas. Whether it was Mackie, Harrison, Marquis or Taylor.

Plus the deep midfielders too. Little space to get the ball on the floor to the striker

Back
Top Bottom