+++ 06/07/20 L1 Play Off Semi Final: Leg 2 - OUFC v Pompey +++

Agyei reminds me a bit like Origi at Liverpool. Knows where the net is and can score some important goals, but he doesn't play with the same cohesion as some of the rest of the players, so he doesn't start.

Agyei is strong, exciting, full of pace, Mackie is a carthorse now. I really don't understand KR selecting Mackie to start.

So I've just about stopped shaking now.....

......amazing result. Said on Friday that I hoped they'd been practicing pens because the two sides were so evenly matched.
If it had been an 80s cup tie, it's one of those that would've gone to about six replays.
In the end, the footballing coin flip to decide it and we come out on top.

But boy, next Monday is huge.
Chance to play in the frickin' Championship again for the first time in more than twenty years.
But the loser has to go back to a League One that's going to include Pompey, Sunderland, Ipswich, Peterborough and the three relegated sides that might well include a tough Barnsley team and a mid-table (from a footballing perspective) Wigan outfit. That's going to be a tough league to get out of in 2020-21.

Two very different possible near, and medium term futures for our club.
Don’t forget the massive boost that even one year of championship TV money revenue will have on the finances, which will be particularly important in the immediate post-Covid era.

Was reading tonight's Guardian's match report when I saw their 2019-20 pre season prediction linked at the bottom. Had both Oxford and Wycombe as relegation candidates - thank goodness football isn't predictable. Shows what a great season both clubs have had.

Both legs followed a very similar pattern: Portsmouth start well and deservedly take the lead, we respond quickly and go in level at half-time, second half a tense affair with both teams lacking a bit of cutting edge. We certainly rode our luck at times, but thoroughly deserve our place in the final based on the season as a whole.

Sam Long had a really good game, as did Sykes. The midfield three seemed to struggle at times, and I personally think Mackie should no longer be starting matches, but the team found a way to grind out the result and that's what counts.

Really not sure what to expect from the final. Wycombe will be desperate to beat us. Hopefully our quality will shine through when all is said and done. Gutted we won't be able to be at Wembley, but will try to enjoy the experience nonetheless. Times like these done come around too often!

Agyei is strong, exciting, full of pace, Mackie is a carthorse now. I really don't understand KR selecting Mackie to start.

I agree, Mackie shouldn't really be starting. But Agyei isn't a player to lead a line. He can get a ball and run, but can he physically battle with centre-halves like Burgess and hold up play? To play as a central striker as part of a three you have to have different gravy to a player like Agyei who would probably prefer to be part of a striking duo.

Agyei and Taylor gave pompey a lot more problems than mackie and browne. I think Browne has worked his socks off and should be used as an impact sub at wembley. I think they should start against ww. Agyei scored a crucial wondergoal against shrews and caused pompey plenty of problems hes young and fast and quite fresh just got to start. Felt Gorrin was a bit wayward maybe mous would provide a bigger shield. Still Karl rolled the dice and came up trumps I have every faith in his judgement

Drove for an hour through 3 rivers and across corrugated tracks to get into Newman where there’s WiFi at dome cafe, to look up the result . :))))) COYY.
Won’t get to watch us beat Wycombe either:(
(That first sentence is true but makes me sound more like Brad grills than I am)

Don't worry, in 30 years time you'll still only remember exactly what you remember now. Nothing after the age of 30 sticks, believe me. I remember up to about 1995, so guess I still believe we are a championship team ?

Funny because it’s true, I can remember every game of my first few seasons. Now I can’t even remember my last game normally

I was pleased with Agyei’s contribution when he cane on. Showed plenty of strength and the ball stuck to his feet! He did seem indecisive though and I think his best role is impact sub at the moment. Agree with others that Mackie had had his time. Top bloke, but hopefully Taylor is fit enough to start the final.

I predicted we’d win and we bloody did, yessss, whatever happens please let me do the match day thread for Wembley, repeat our joy against York, COYY’S

I think I jinxed it by saying to a few mates at work if it goes to penalties I will go out the room. But I held my bottle and stayed to watch it. I was having flashbacks of Billy Turley and the post but this time are team held their nerve. Great subs by robbo, I'm not his greatest fan I admit but if he gets us up I will have been proved wrong.

Mackie and Browne each forced saves from the Pompey keeper, did Agyei or Taylor?
Mackie and Browne each forced saves from the Pompey keeper, did Agyei or Taylor?

Taylor did have one blocked by a defender that was heading in and the keeper would "need" to have made a save... Agyei was either fouled or nobody in a yellow shirt could keep up with him to pass to when there were 4/5 Blue shirts around him..did hit the post though and when Marquis hit the side of the post apparently our keeper was beat so their's would have "needed" to make a save :)

Back
Top Bottom