Away Match Day Thread +++05/10/2019 L1: Accrington Stanley v OUFC

Our goals were terrific despite Accrington employing dirty tactics the whole way through the game to make up for their lack of ability. That aside, I actually thought Eastwood could have stopped their second as well as being at fault for their first which underlines the average season he’s having by his high standards. Not great but at 2-2 I was thinking a point would be acceptable.

Eastwood could have done better for both IMO. Looks shakier than his normal self.

Fantastic goals from Fosu and Brannagan in different ways, was beautiful watching Fosu skip past their defenders and Brannagan hit the ball so sweetly for the 2nd, love the confidence in the team.

First half we were the better team, felt the incident at the end of the half and the injuries really disrupted us going into the second. We definitely looked the more tired of the two.

Would have liked to have seen Taylor come on around the 60/65 minute mark as Mackie really wasnt having any joy.

Just didnt really seem to get our foot on the ball or play throughout the second half. We looked so natural and confident on the ball in the first and it felt more forced in the second for the majority; there were still periods we played some very good passing football.

Ref really wasnt up to much today, not that Accy were dirty but they weren't exactly clean. Would quite happily not have him ever ref another Oxford match.

All in all, good point under the circumstances, cant help but feel we would have lost that at the start of the season.
Had we not already made 2 substitutions then I'm sure we would have switched Taylor for Mackie on the hour. Mackie just wasn't having the impact he usually has and we would have benefitted from a different outlet. Also, had he not already come on, and then gone off, I think we'd have looked to switch Fosu for Forde. As great as Fosu is, he was getting kicked to bits and was beginning to deal with it himself.

Neither would have necessarily changed the result, but the early substitutions left our hands tied a little.

Still not a bad result and a nasty game to get out the way. I would guess that Long, Moore, Hall, Sykes and Ageyi will play on Tuesday to once again look to push their way into contention against Doncaster, Rotherham and Rochdale coming up. All of these games are very much winnable on our recent form and should hopefully put us in a decent position in the coming weeks.

Had we not already made 2 substitutions then I'm sure we would have switched Taylor for Mackie on the hour. Mackie just wasn't having the impact he usually has and we would have benefitted from a different outlet. Also, had he not already come on, and then gone off, I think we'd have looked to switch Fosu for Forde. As great as Fosu is, he was getting kicked to bits and was beginning to deal with it himself.

Neither would have necessarily changed the result, but the early substitutions left our hands tied a little.

Still not a bad result and a nasty game to get out the way. I would guess that Long, Moore, Hall, Sykes and Ageyi will play on Tuesday to once again look to push their way into contention against Doncaster, Rotherham and Rochdale coming up. All of these games are very much winnable on our recent form and should hopefully put us in a decent position in the coming weeks.
I agree that it will be good to give Agyei some game time along with Sykes who has been unlucky to not be involved in the league games. However, Doncaster at home will be really tough and Rotherham are hard to get anything from away so I’d be very happy with 4 points from those two games but think we’ll more than likely get 3 points.

I agree that it will be good to give Agyei some game time along with Sykes who has been unlucky to not be involved in the league games. However, Doncaster at home will be really tough and Rotherham are hard to get anything from away so I’d be very happy with 4 points from those two games but think we’ll more than likely get 3 points.
At the moment it feels like league 1 is made up entirely with bloody northern teams! It would be interesting to see how our miles travelled this season compares with Brackley’s in conference north.

Rotherham hammered Coventry yesterday and will be a very tough game.

Having watched on i follow from Spain I agree we were very good first half without working their keeper enough. Second half they came at us and we lost our composure somewhat. Passes started going astray and we looked more vulnerable at set pieces. One aside..watching with radox commentary on, you realise that Nathan commentates reasonably ok but Jerome is awful. He prattles on with his opinions and other scores instead of commentating on the game. He would be better as the link man. Sorry Jerome, good bloke, passionate Us fan but.....

Having watched on i follow from Spain I agree we were very good first half without working their keeper enough. Second half they came at us and we lost our composure somewhat. Passes started going astray and we looked more vulnerable at set pieces. One aside..watching with radox commentary on, you realise that Nathan commentates reasonably ok but Jerome is awful. He prattles on with his opinions and other scores instead of commentating on the game. He would be better as the link man. Sorry Jerome, good bloke, passionate Us fan but.....

I disagree a little. They’re both good commentators but I much prefer Jerome’s broadcasting.

I tend to think that when Jerome is on the mic all is well with the U’s and we‘ll get a ’result’ !

Having watched on ifollow thought we did good first half against a tough team ....fair result at the end..... but fosu ... great player gets kicked to s**t but I feel doesnt help himself when he dives a tad occassionally .. but as said great player

At the moment it feels like league 1 is made up entirely with bloody northern teams! It would be interesting to see how our miles travelled this season compares with Brackley’s in conference north.
Yeah it feels like that but it’s simply because we’ve played all of them early. Just had a look and there are 10 teams based in what I’d consider to be Northern - Yorkshire, Lancashire, Merseyside, Tyne and Wear and Lincolnshire. After the Rotherham and Doncaster games we will have played all of them already!! So, 10 out of 14 games played would have been against Northern teams! Quite unreal. Another 2 have been against Coventry and Burton (Midlands) so between Mid October and January we should have most games against teams south of the equator for a bit of travel relief! As I live in Norwich I can’t wait until we have Ipswich away!

Correction from above, we would have played 9 out of the 10 but after end of October we would have played 10 out of 10 (I thought for a minute we played Rochdale but it was Gillingham) always get them confused cos they’re both terrible!

Just watched the extended highlights.

The lad who scores their first goal is never marked right from the start of the clip. Mackie stands in front of him,I presume in a bid to have a high line and then once the ball has gone towards the back post, their player just drops into space with none of ours giving him any attention.

The second goal unsurprisingly came off another long high ball aimed towards Cadden. It is one of a number of occassions in the second half where they stuck a player out on the touchline beyond Cadden whilst aiming the ball to the player that Cadden was marking, either to win the first ball or flick on to the unmarked player on the touchline. It must have happen 4 or 5 times in the second half but we never once adjusted our set up to deal with it. Not sure what Shandon was trying to do, he either played a nothing header in the general direction of Gorrin or was beaten incredibly easily by the Accy player - it's hard to tell on the highlights. Gorrin is caught a bit in no man's land, and Zanzala is therefore unmarked in space between our two centrebacks.

Incredibly frustrating that we looked so shaky under long high balls once more. I thought we'd managed to eradicate that from our game. That being said, when Accy did play it around on the floor, we looked pretty confident in our defending. Perhaps no surprise that they chose to go more direct in that case.

Last edited:

Mmm, although it's never ideal I think Accrington away is exactly one of the games in a season you REALLY dont want to make 2 first half subs.

I disagree a little. They’re both good commentators but I much prefer Jerome’s broadcasting.

I tend to think that when Jerome is on the mic all is well with the U’s and we‘ll get a ’result’ !

I really like Jerome commentating, as hes such a big fan he also gives a much more realistic view of the situation and isn't afraid to be critical when its needed.

Accy’s first goal - very untidy.
EGH_g7pWkAEEgoZ

Back
Top Bottom