Home Match Day Thread +++ 05/09/2020 Carabao Cup R1 OUFC v AFC Wimbledon+++

Do we still need to have some continuity between trophy games and league games? I’m sure it was a rule before that you have to have a certain amount from your next league game. If that’s the case and KR is playing 2 teams in our 2 cup matches then it looks like today will be our “weaker” side.
Don't think the rule is relevant now, so expect today to be similar to how we will line up against Lincoln with Tuesday to give others a game.

Unsure how today will go, it's effectively another preseason friendly and that seems to be how Robinson is approaching it. Hopefully we'll win with no injuries.

I think we had a season before where we started in the League cup on a Tuesday. Anyone remember which season that was?
81/82
I think we had a season before where we started in the League cup on a Tuesday. Anyone remember which season that was?
80/01
80/81 ? Reading

Anyone have the prize money info to hand for EFL Cup and Trophy games for this season?

Is there even a sponsor for the EFL Trophy this season? If not, and there's no prize money as a result, that competition is even more pointless than ever.

Is there even a sponsor for the EFL Trophy this season? If not, and there's no prize money as a result, that competition is even more pointless than ever.
if memory serves, it doesnt always!, its the semi finalists and finalists who get prize money , nowt before ( unless there's any TV money for selected live matches?

They shouldn’t be starting a new tournament when they never even had the final to last year’s one. They seem to have just swept it under the rug - it’s beyond a farce. They’ll only be insisting it takes place because the PL clubs want their kids playing competitive matches, and don’t want to lose the fixtures.

Anyway, going for a 2-1 win today, in a weird game that doesn’t really feel like it means anything.

if memory serves, it doesnt always!, its the semi finalists and finalists who get prize money , nowt before ( unless there's any TV money for selected live matches?
You're thinking of the EFL Cup. The Trophy prize money was actually quite good in recent seasons, possibly linked to the Under 21s involvement..

As KR said, another pre-season game. The league is all that matters this season. Promotion is the target. If supporters cannot attend and there is little or no prize money, what's the point? We need the club to get out of League 1 and away from the salary cap before it really bites and the divide between Championship and the rest of the league is insurmountable.

You're thinking of the EFL Cup. The Trophy prize money was actually quite good in recent seasons, possibly linked to the Under 21s involvement..
could be ? ... though I did think the EFL trophy (checkatrade? or has it changes this season? ) gave prize money right through(which was why clubs were in favour of it despite PL U21s included ), with Carabao (League) cup only having prize money for semi finalists & finalists, though I could have it a**e about face with those two competitions/ prize money etc?

As KR said, another pre-season game. The league is all that matters this season. Promotion is the target. If supporters cannot attend and there is little or no prize money, what's the point? We need the club to get out of League 1 and away from the salary cap before it really bites and the divide between Championship and the rest of the league is insurmountable.

That’s probably what the EFL want, they’re not bothered with L1/2

Win win today for me. It’s always good to kick off the season with a win, and to be honest I suspect we will, but at the same time, not having to squeeze in extra fixtures in this competition will be no bad thing as the games start really piling up in the next few months.

I hope we play our strongest team. Wonder what people would think of starting Stevens in goal? Seems a free hit and would be good to see if he can cut it in a competitive fixture.

could be ? ... though I did think the EFL trophy (checkatrade? or has it changes this season? ) gave prize money right through(which was why clubs were in favour of it despite PL U21s included ), with Carabao (League) cup only having prize money for semi finalists & finalists, though I could have it a**e about face with those two competitions/ prize money etc?

There is good prize money all the way through tin pot chuckaleasing.com trophy, because the premiership have kindly made a contribution (aka a bribe) towards the pot.

There is good prize money all the way through tin pot chuckaleasing.com trophy, because the premiership have kindly made a contribution (aka a bribe) towards the pot.
therefore, is it the Carabao cup that doesn't give prize money until semi final stage?

Back
Top Bottom