+++ 04/09/2018 OUFC v Fulham U21 Match Day Thread +++

No injuries, a few more minutes in for fringe/returning players and a continuation of the upturn in form. It’s a crap competition against kids but that’s as good as it could of got tonight.

Broke my boycott tonight and went because I’d been away since Barnsley and wanted to how weve progressed since then. Wasn’t hugely impressed by Lopes. Showed some good touches and strength but would have liked to see him show for the ball a bit more. Glad to see Smith up and running. Fulham were absolutely rubbish.
Obika really disappointing too. Just cant stay onside. Way too slow. Lopez 10/10 for effort but still looks lightweight

Good point. Would be interesting to know how much the club gets from the ifollow set up.
Also bought a £10 match pass. No buffering but the picture wasnt clear at all. Anyone else have the same? Looked like a old VHF recording

Broke my boycott tonight and went because I’d been away since Barnsley and wanted to how weve progressed since then. Wasn’t hugely impressed by Lopes. Showed some good touches and strength but would have liked to see him show for the ball a bit more. Glad to see Smith up and running. Fulham were absolutely rubbish.

From what I saw Lopes had a good game. chased and harried non stop. Rarely gave the ball away and gave their defence a tough time. The lad is only 16 and more than matched the Fulham players .

Obika really disappointing too. Just cant stay onside. Way too slow. Lopez 10/10 for effort but still looks lightweight

It’s my concern with Napa. He’s skilful but I’m concerned he’ll always be too slight to make it as a pro. Always time for both though.

Mo’ minutes, mo’ training. Good to see Smith get a goal, Holmes get plenty more time and Garbutt continue to improve. We’ll play harder matches than that in much more worthwhile games in the future so I only see today’s result as a means to an end.

Slavi Spasov. That’ll be a tricky pub quiz answer in U’s quizzes in the future.

Broke the boycott and glad I did. The team oozed confidence something up until a couple of weeks ago we were lacking that confidence. It was nice to see Robbo have confidence in starting and playing the full 90 mins of Fabio Lopez he did ok, then he sent on Slavi Spasov a young lad who looks like he will have a good future in football, good to see Sam Long come on. McMahon looked quite good as well tonight , Sam Smith played well scored his first goal for the club and was prepared to have ago, Henry, Holmes and Ruffles played well and young Luke Garbutt played well. Mitchell’s distribution has got better as some of hours s catches.
Overall P**s pot trophy competition but good to see the confidence back in the team all be it reserve/1st team.

Am I right in thinking that’s red cards for opponents three matches in a row?

Agree re Holmes - he’s just so good. We haven’t had a player like him at the club since McAleny imo. And before him Roofe.

It’s my concern with Napa. He’s skilful but I’m concerned he’ll always be too slight to make it as a pro. Always time for both though.

Mo’ minutes, mo’ training. Good to see Smith get a goal, Holmes get plenty more time and Garbutt continue to improve. We’ll play harder matches than that in much more worthwhile games in the future so I only see today’s result as a means to an end.

Slavi Spasov. That’ll be a tricky pub quiz answer in U’s quizzes in the future.
The new Josh Ruffles.

Am I right in thinking that’s red cards for opponents three matches in a row?

Agree re Holmes - he’s just so good. We haven’t had a player like him at the club since McAleny imo. And before him Roofe.

Hanson was sent off in the Newport game.

I thought Garbutt and McMahon did ok but nothing more.
Nelson and Dickie did what they had to but never really got tested.
Ruffles was tidy and kept the ball moving.
I was very impressed with Brannagan who covered almost every blade of grass as well as getting in the faces of Fulham's players to get the ball back.
Holmes was excellent but I'd expect that against Fulham U21's.
Smith did ok and took his goal well but I'm sure there is a lot more to come. I really hope he isn't the next Carlton Morris.
I thought Henry was off the pace last night and should of scored at least one tonight.
Lopez did very well for a 16 year old. I thought he shut down their defenders well but just didn't get enough of the ball.

Obika is Obika. He is usually offside, looks slow and looks like a man lacking confidence. I think that's why he was so desperate to take the penalty.
Spasov did well when he came on, always showing for the ball in the middle and took his penalty well. He looks like he has that bit of arrogance that you need to make it to the top.
Sam wasn't on that Long and you never really noticed him. When he was involved he looked rusty and I honestly wonder if his days are numbered at the club now.

I remember people used to say the same with O'Dowda. Most youngsters don't properly fill out until their late teens/early 20s.

You’re not wrong. I saw O’Dowda on his debut against Charlton (League or FA Cup, I can’t remember which) and he was a spindly kid who needed to fill out.

The difference was build however. O’Dowda has always been tall and had that room to bulk up. Baptiste is already a physical presence but I’m not sure Napa has that. He could end up like Defoe and make up for his lack of size with other attributes instead so as I said there is time yet.

Back
Top Bottom