Matches 04/05/2021 - Playoff pack games

Don't it go on goals scored?
Goals scored & goal difference would be equal if they win 5-0 & we win 1-0, then it’s the following:

9.2 If two or more Clubs have the same number of points, goal difference and goals scored the highest placed Club shall be determined by the respective League records against each other, taking into account in order of precedence, points gained, goal difference and goals scored.

It goes on head to head record which they would win, so if we win by 1 goal they would need to win by 5. Basically we have to win by 3 goals less than they win.

Ah, you're correct, I thought it went to number of wins after goals scored.

I know it won't, but I see it can go down to number of bookings, imagine not going up as you have 1 more booking.

So we know exactly what we need to do now. Must win. And pray.
I know I'm stating the obvious. But. Pompey are clearly favourites. But if they are not winning at half time, and either Charlton or we are, they will be vv rattled. It's going to be interesting. I doubt we'll make it, but if we do, I actually think we'll get through the playoffs. Nothing to be worried about there!

I know I'm stating the obvious. But. Pompey are clearly favourites. But if they are not winning at half time, and either Charlton or we are, they will be vv rattled. It's going to be interesting. I doubt we'll make it, but if we do, I actually think we'll get through the playoffs. Nothing to be worried about there!
In that case I think the lack of crowd will help them, can you imagine how their fans would react if it wasn't going well for them?

Ah, you're correct, I thought it went to number of wins after goals scored.

I know it won't, but I see it can go down to number of bookings, imagine not going up as you have 1 more booking.
I didn’t play at Wembley as a schoolboy once (I think it was due to be played before the 1986 league cup win) because we lost the semi final by corners conceded

Same as before tonight's games anyway.

Yep.

If we’re winning, it will put immense pressure on Portsmouth.

I wonder if players will be aware of half time scores? What they won’t have this year is the ability to feed off of the crowd as scorelines come through.

Goals scored & goal difference would be equal if they win 5-0 & we win 1-0, then it’s the following:

9.2 If two or more Clubs have the same number of points, goal difference and goals scored the highest placed Club shall be determined by the respective League records against each other, taking into account in order of precedence, points gained, goal difference and goals scored.
After that it goes to
Number of wins, then goals scored in away games and then onto a points based system based on the disciplinary records.

And if you still can't separate them - a playoff match....

(Of course it won't come to that, as Portsmouth won at the Kassam ☹)

Last edited:
Yep.

If we’re winning, it will put immense pressure on Portsmouth.

I wonder if players will be aware of half time scores? What they won’t have this year is the ability to feed off of the crowd as scorelines come through.
I think that makes it easier for us. Our players know they just have to win. Pompey will not know whether a point will be enough or not.

I think that makes it easier for us. Our players know they just have to win. Pompey will not know whether a point will be enough or not.
We always have really.

Personally I think Pompey will win, but here’s hoping if they don’t we make sure we win!

There's a realistic appraisal of the situation and then there's mindless negativity.
Yes I don’t understand that, is it some conspiracy theory? We would be regarded as the weakest team in the playoffs.

I doubt the plan was ever to play for a draw on Sunday assuming that Portsmouth would lose.

I don't see that Mapp fielding a weaker Lincoln side makes Hull more likely to ship five goals a few days later.

Could be wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom