Away Match Day Thread +++ 04/05/2019 Luton Town v OUFC Match Day Thread +++

With regard to Long, since he came in I think that we have taken 27 points from 13 games conceding 11 (including yesterday). So to suggest that he is not good enough seems a little odd.
Garbutt has scored 4 and made goals during that time. Garbutt is a totally different player to Graham who has been struggling. KR became more pragmatic and when he brought in Garbutt on the left, we clearly tightened up and started winning games.
Regardless of other players, Nelson of course will be a huge miss and I doubt if anybody would disagree with that.

Not sure you can use the ‘we’ve got 27 points out of 13 games’ line to defend Long, but can understand why you did. I’m not saying Long is a poor player, I’m just saying that I don’t think he’s the answer if we want to improve and contend promotion next season and nor is Garbutt.

We need Baldockesque type of fullbacks e.g. overlapping, you know, like Robinson at Liverpool and err Baldock at Sheffield Utd! I just don’t think Long and Ruffels (to a lesser extent) offer this.

I think we need to ship out Henry (just not sure he fits into our shape anymore). Need to retain Nelson or at least find someone who is as good if not better.

We need to find that elusive striker, not sure Sinclair is him! And try and sign Graham or again someone like him if not better.

We’ve missed Kashi in the middle I think last few games. Someone with a level head with good passing decisions.

Get these positions sorted whilst retaining others e.g. Whyte, Sykes, Eastwood etc and we should be contending for the play offs at least next season.

One thing I will add to thie Garbutt/Graham discussion is I think Graham ultimately was
left out of the team as his confidence was low.
When Garbutt came in at left midfield/ wing call it what you wish his confidence improved and the team became far more difficult to beat. This is also around the time Long came in , coincidence I don’t know but we conceded a lot less goals and started scoring more. Garbutt has added 4-5 goals and quite a few assists so my conclusion is whoever may be the best left midfielder/ winger Garbutt was definitely the best one for the team at that point.
I also wonder whether in time Sykes will play a number 10 role as he has a lot of ability.

Agree with you about Sykes, would have him in over Henry any day of the week.

I’d go as far to say, if we had started with Whyte on the right instead of Garbutt e.g. Browne on the left, Whyte on the right, with Sykes in place of Henry we might have won yesterday’s game.

Last edited:
!
Yes he’s articulate but last night he kind of damned Nico Jones which was unnecessary.
He said : “ My only worry today was Nico Jones. “ He was naive to give the free kick away for the first goal “
“ And his passes were not great (or words to that effect) ”.

I thought he threw the lad under the bus. No one else was nailed , just Jones.
I heard the interview, I didn’t think he ‘nailed’ Jones, he offered criticism.

Nico is, I hope, going to be a great player for us, however, if you’re in the first eleven, you’re going to be praised and criticised on the basis of your performance. I thought Nico did OK against very good opposition but he did make mistakes and at times looked what he is, inexperienced. That’s to be expected at 17. I don’t believe that means that he should get a free pass because of his age or his ‘one of our own’ tag; that patronises him. If he was a 17-year old loanee from a prem. club, he’d come in for far more criticism for the same performance.

Let’s not make it a crime to offer constructive criticism on our youngsters - they deserve more than our own version of political correctness.

I heard the interview, I didn’t think he ‘nailed’ Jones, he offered criticism.

Nico is, I hope, going to be a great player for us, however, if you’re in the first eleven, you’re going to be praised and criticised on the basis of your performance. I thought Nico did OK against very good opposition but he did make mistakes and at times looked what he is, inexperienced. That’s to be expected at 17. I don’t believe that should mean that he should get a free pass because of his age or his ‘one of our own’ tag; that patronises him. If he was a 17-year old loanee from a perm club, he’d come in for far more criticism for the same performance.

Let’s not make it a crime to offer constructive criticism on our youngsters - they deserve more than our own version of political correctness.

Yeah, the whole point of playing Jones isn't because he's the finished article. He needs to be tested against the best strikers in the division to find out what level he's at, and make mistakes so the coaching team know what to develop.

He's now going to have a whole pre-season to work with the first team squad, get int the gym to develop physically a bit more, knowing he'll probably more get a handful of games next season (certainly in the Checkatrade, probably some cup games).

Of course we wanted to beat Luton, but we didn't need to. This campaign was over for us a month ago when we all but secured safety, the last few games have all been the start of preparations for next season.

Yeah, the whole point of playing Jones isn't because he's the finished article. He needs to be tested against the best strikers in the division to find out what level he's at, and make mistakes so the coaching team know what to develop.

He's now going to have a whole pre-season to work with the first team squad, get int the gym to develop physically a bit more, knowing he'll probably more get a handful of games next season (certainly in the Checkatrade, probably some cup games).

Of course we wanted to beat Luton, but we didn't need to. This campaign was over for us a month ago when we all but secured safety, the last few games have all been the start of preparations for next season.

Let’s just hope we have learnt from this last month more than we did this time last year, because the same was said then.

Having watched the game on ifollow as usual I think lootown showed what is needed to go up fast counter and physical with the ref on your side....thought nico looked a defo for the future in a hard game for such a youngster....open the window and lets see if the money from the board is incoming to strenghten up a damn good squad but imho not promotion ready.....YET!

So there we are, season over. Lost the final game to the L1 champs and finished 12th. Not unexpected as no other L1 team has beat them there. Overall the sort of season I would never want again. For much of the season, I was mentally preparing for L2 as we seemed stuck in the bottom 4. Anyway, roll on next season, along with a few astute signings and consistency through the season..

Long has proved he is good enough, but the issue has been with the squad and competition for places, not him (or others) personally. We need decent competition for places in every position (including goalkeeper). I think that has been the overriding issue this year. Too many signings either injured or not up to speed quick enough in their designated roles and not enough competition for places means lack of quality across the board. When you have the luxury of strength in depth, and form dips or injuries occur, fringe players (Long for example) then have the opportunity to step up. Then its the job of the previous player to fight his way back into the team, that simply hasnt happened enough this season and weve only seen it in the past few months, since the likes of Graham, Kashi, Sinclair, Sykes etc arrived. I expect to lose a few but, if we can start next season close to where we are now then for sure we are going to do better.

Let’s just hope we have learnt from this last month more than we did this time last year, because the same was said then.

This time last year we had Ledson and Rothwell sold. We also had to get rid of the likes of Tiendall, Mehmeti, Williamson, etc.

It was a much bigger rebuilding that we had to do last year than this. Remember, we didn't have Whyte, Mackie, Hanson or Sykes at the start of the last pre-season. They'll be better for the work we put into them this summer.

So there we are, season over. Lost the final game to the L1 champs and finished 12th. Not unexpected as no other L1 team has beat them there. Overall the sort of season I would never want again. For much of the season, I was mentally preparing for L2 as we seemed stuck in the bottom 4. Anyway, roll on next season, along with a few astute signings and consistency through the season..
Yep, strange season. I really thought we were goners at one stage, definitely wanted Mr Robinson out and had no trust or belief in Tiger, Erick or the rest. Next season will be 'interesting'. Mr Robinson has obviously earned the right to have a go at promotion and Erick might be concentrating on OUFC rather than foreign politics. Who knows, he might even put his hand in his pocket.

Look I am all for people having a view. I get that.

He does NOT call in almost every week. He hasn’t phoned in to have a whine and a bitch since we went
on the unbeaten run after Gillingham away ( when we last lost). why is that?

No calls after Bradford , Cov, Wycombe, Walsall, Charlton, Shrewsbury, Donny - only after a defeat!

Yes he’s articulate but last night he kind of damned Nico Jones which was unnecessary.
He said : “ My only worry today was Nico Jones. “ He was naive to give the free kick away for the first goal “

Previously when he’s phoned in, Robinson has been nailed each time and he absolutely loathes Faz.

A bit more balance with a dose of reality is needed if you call in on the final whistle.
It might be that Nico gave away a free kick, a soft free kick etc but week in week out I watch premier league games on tv and see needless free kicks given away, needless corners given away, its what happens in games at all levels, having watched the front on tv i thought the wall was very poor or poorly positioned Long (who I do like) should have done better, the next 2 Looton goals came from their left, our right, Long was either not there or dragged out of position, having said that, having said that what on earth was Ruffles doing for the third, I know he’s a lefty but his right footed ‘soft pass’ handed the third on a plate
We are league 1 and consistency is why these are league 1 players
We had a fantastic run towards the end of the season
Let’s hope we can continue that form into next season
Can’t wait to see who we sign

Yep, strange season. I really thought we were goners at one stage, definitely wanted Mr Robinson out and had no trust or belief in Tiger, Erick or the rest. Next season will be 'interesting'. Mr Robinson has obviously earned the right to have a go at promotion and Erick might be concentrating on OUFC rather than foreign politics. Who knows, he might even put his hand in his pocket.
More or less "nail on head" as far as I am feeling today. I still cringe when KR gets up a head of steam but, yes, let's see what the new season brings.

I guess nobody will remember that except me then ? doh!

It will forever be my treasured memory that none of the rest of you can enjoy whilst you all deal with your second rate Andy Mutch memories
I read this last night and was at that game. I’d started to doubt myself.

Look I am all for people having a view. I get that.

He does NOT call in almost every week. He hasn’t phoned in to have a whine and a bitch since we went
on the unbeaten run after Gillingham away ( when we last lost). why is that?

No calls after Bradford , Cov, Wycombe, Walsall, Charlton, Shrewsbury, Donny - only after a defeat!

Previously when he’s phoned in, Robinson has been nailed each time and he absolutely loathes .

A bit more balance with a dose of reality is needed if you call in on the final whistle.

I did hear him after at least two of the games you mentioned above. You forget to mention the games he called into after we have won.
Oh and he has called since Gillingham. I know by simply listening.

Isn’t he right saying Jones will be a great player in a couple of years?
Saying he shouldn’t be relied on as backup?

Saying how we could challenge next year keeping the squad together, how fans and club are now more unified following the last few weeks?
Isn’t that positive?
I could go on, but my toast is going cold.

Agree with everything you’ve said, but just out of interest who would you have dropped for Whyte?

And funny you should mention Long & Henry, just be careful Scotchegg doesn’t read that.

I would have swapped Browne to the left and started with Whyte on the right in place of Garbutt. I'd also have been tempted to start with Sykes instead of Henry but I can see why KR wanted the experience in front of Brannagan and Hanson. I thought Hanson had a good game, few misplaced passes but he was looking more confident than I expected.

Long should undoubtedly be first choice right back next year, hes so good in the air for someone who isn't exactly the tallest player on the pitch.

I would have swapped Browne to the left and started with Whyte on the right in place of Garbutt. I'd also have been tempted to start with Sykes instead of Henry but I can see why KR wanted the experience in front of Brannagan and Hanson. I thought Hanson had a good game, few misplaced passes but he was looking more confident than I expected.

Long should undoubtedly be first choice right back next year, hes so good in the air for someone who isn't exactly the tallest player on the pitch.

Almost word for word with my earlier comment above re; Whyte & Sykes etc, and who I would have replaced e.g. Garbutt.

Re; Long, he’s done a great job in a position Karl royally, for a better word, messed up, but I don’t think he has the qualities required going forward, possibly defensively, but not in an attacking perspective. Gives/loses the ball too much. It’s a bit like Ruffels first touch, it’s generally poor meaning his second touch is a tackle! But again, he has done a fantastic job in another position that Karl messed up!

Question is, do I think Long & Ruffels can do a job for us next season, well the answer is yes, but do I think they can do a job for us in terms of making the play offs/promotion, then the answer for me is no. Good squad players though.

Last edited:
Almost word for word with my earlier comment above re; Whyte & Sykes etc, and who I would have replaced e.g. Garbutt.

Re; Long, he’s done a great job in a position Karl royally, for a better word, messed up, but I don’t think he has the qualities required going forward, possibly defensively, but not in an attacking perspective. Gives/loses the ball too much. It’s a bit like Ruffels first touch, it’s generally poor meaning his second touch is a tackle! But again, he has done a fantastic job in another position that Karl messed up!
Don't disagree with some of what you say.
But the constant messing up bit?
McMahon may well have been a good right back (terrific delivery from previous clubs) He had personal issues which is why that didnt work out.
So hs tried Hanson which was ok for a while and then Long was presumably in.the squad as he could play there.

The problem is that we need a new central defence (Dickie to the right + a new left sided central defender). If we change Long and Ruffs as well (I am not saying that is necessary) then we are starting from scratch again - especially if we need a new player for the Kashi/Mous role in front of them. There are bigger holes in the squad that need filling than wide defence - and that's where I think we should spend what money we have.

Back
Top Bottom