Home Match Day Thread +++ 03/09/2019 Leasing.com Trophy : OUFC V Norwich U21 +++

Couldn't really care less about the result - but it's good to see some of our players coming back getting more game time, and great to see that Baptiste in particular seems to be picking up where he left off. KR is going to have some big time selection headaches very soon (which is a positive thing!)

He'll get better as he learns more how the teams plays. He made some good runs in behind at times, but his work off the ball wasn't so good. And he came off really blowing, not to be surprised as he hasn't played much.

Here we go. Robinson looking to boost the clubs bank account in January. Can we at least enjoy Shandon in an Oxford shirt for the whole season..? ?

Baptiste back will be better than any signing we could of made, him and Brannagan attacking from midfield is a bit special for a league one club, although we will probably only get to enjoy it for one season.

Player ratings:

Stevens: 7 - distribution a bit iffy at times and was a bit jittery (due to his age?) but overall I was impressed, generally quick off his line and ok to receive the ball to feet, and didn’t mind telling the defence what to do or giving them a piece of his mind, which is important in a young keeper - looks like he could be a good prospect. No chance with the goal

Long: 7 - He was neat and tidy and actually looked to get forward more than I’ve seen before, put some ok crosses in. I think he got booked for getting upset about a rough tackle on Rob Hall? So at least he’s sticking up for his teammates. Should have had a freekick for a foul on him (the ref was poor). Not as good as Cadden though.

Dickie: 8 - Looked a cut above this level

Mousinho: 7 - Solid enough

Berkoe: 7 - I like how he bombs forward, dribbles well and is hard to tackle (he shields the ball well from the opposition by dribbling very much on his left side and using his strength) just needs to improve on his final ball and we’ll have a decent attacking fullback. Can’t really swing a cross in at the moment, looks to pass more, so hopefully they’ve got him just practising crosses

Hanson: 7.5 - Showcased his range of long passing and got stuck in well.

Baptiste: 8 - Looked rusty at times in that he would drive past people brilliantly and misplace the final pass or burst into the box and then not get a shot away - but great to see him doing the first parts. Was unlucky with a good shot which the keeper saved and then took his goal very well. He has good pace for a central midfielder and his low centre of gravity makes him excellent bursting forwards, and a decent short and long passing game plus a good, placed shot equals a tasty player

Fosu: 5 - He looked uninterested and barely got involved. I’ve seen him once before like this, at the Woking pre season game, where he also played centrally, so I don’t know if he just doesn’t get up for friendlies, or doesn’t play well centrally?

Hall: 6.5 - Weird one from Hall, he actually played the best I’ve seen him so far this season in that he beat a man with trickery a couple of times, got a couple of shots and crosses away and broke forwards a few times, but I still left disappointed - he’s so slow now, he’s clearly lost his pace. Looks to be quite heavy, shouldn’t he try and get lighter to protect his knee and get some acceleration back? Unless it’s muscle I suppose. If he wasn’t Rob Hall who we all know and love but just some guy we’d signed this year I’d be saying he’s nowhere near the first team, sadly. Gets a strange amount of stick from the crowd, leave him alone!

Forde: 6 - Probably the worst I’ve seen him play so far, nothing terrible just struggled to impact the game

Agyei: 7 - Promising, he clearly has pace and power, albeit raw. He runs the channels nicely which will give us a new outlet. Needs to improve on his decision making and final ball. Decent header which could be a source of goals for him this year given how many crosses we seem to put in nowadays!

Subs:

Sykes: 7.5 - Much better than Fosu in that no.10 role. Drive forwards well, passed nicely and pressured their defence. Looks like his head hasn’t dropped and he wanted to prove a point, which is good to see

Brannigan: 8 - Looked the first team player he is

Lofthouse: 7 - I’ve not been impressed with him before but I thought he did better centrally than I’ve seen him out wide, he worked hard and was a nuisance for the centre backs without really creating anything of note

I boycotted this one since, being a season ticket holder, I have to book early to ensure my seat for cup matches. How unfair - my seat should be reserved till kick-off in case I want it and no Tom, Dick or Shithead should be able to use it, ever, unless I give them permission in triplicate.

I boycotted this one since, being a season ticket holder, I have to book early to ensure my seat for cup matches. How unfair - my seat should be reserved till kick-off in case I want it and no Tom, Dick or Shithead should be able to use it, ever, unless I give them permission in triplicate.
Unbolt it and take it home at the end of every game, that'll ensure nobody else can use it in your absence.

I couldn't be arsed to go to the tin pot cup either.

So great to see such a solid performance from Shandon Baptiste. Lets hope he can build on that and give KR a headache with midfield selections.

I agree that Fosu was largely anonymous playing centrally yesterday, I actually asked had he touched the ball towards the end of the first half!!

He needs to play wide and stretch the full backs wider to let Brannagan and Baptiste get into the box and get on the end of pull backs.

Last night made me think we should deploy a 3-5-2 formation on Saturday.

Eastwood

Long
Dickie
Moore

Cadden
Berkoe/Ruffels

Brannagan
Gorrin

Henry

Agyei Mackie

I think we would be more solid with the 3 CB’s and would allow Cadden especially to get forward as he does so well.

Would also give their defenders something to think about if they had Agyei and Mackie pestering them.

Eastwood

Long
Dickie
Moore

Cadden
Berkoe/Ruffels

Brannagan
Gorrin

Henry

Agyei Mackie

I think we would be more solid with the 3 CB’s and would allow Cadden especially to get forward as he does so well.

Would also give their defenders something to think about if they had Agyei and Mackie pestering them.

I have no problem with the formation but I'd be very surprised if Agyei were to start on Saturday due to his fitness.

Eastwood

Long
Dickie
Moore

Cadden
Berkoe/Ruffels

Brannagan
Gorrin

Henry

Agyei Mackie

I like that, but given Agyei might not be fit to start how about:

Eastwood
Long Dickie Moore
Cadden Gorrin Ruffles
Henry Brannigan Forde
Mackie​

Back
Top Bottom