Ref Watch 03/08/2019 - Sunderland v OUFC: Peter Wright

Peter Wright's performance against Sunderland was

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they stopped the clock for subs the last minute substitutions wouldn’t happen, it’s done to waste time but none would be wasted.

If they stopped the clock for subs the last minute substitutions wouldn’t happen, it’s done to waste time but none would be wasted.

They should go the full hog and have a time keeper on the side and the clock only goes on when the ball is in play. Stops all time wasting then.

My suggestion for subs would be:-
As is now, at break in play, sub board goes up to notify player to come off. From this point, the free kick, goal kick is taken and play continues but the player being subbed cannot touch the ball as he is going off.
At next break in play the sub can come on.
Therefore, the team doing the sub has to play with 10 men whilst play continues in the intervening period. This would stop the last minute subs.

My suggestion for subs would be:-
As is now, at break in play, sub board goes up to notify player to come off. From this point, the free kick, goal kick is taken and play continues but the player being subbed cannot touch the ball as he is going off.
At next break in play the sub can come on.
Therefore, the team doing the sub has to play with 10 men whilst play continues in the intervening period. This would stop the last minute subs.

I like the idea but it does seem overly complicated for a Ref and Asst Refs who have to remember who is being subbed, as you can guarantee a player will end up interfering in play in some way, or appear to be when they aren't.

It is sensible, but there is no concept of a 'game clock' in football as there is in rugby. The ref doesn't ever stop his watch (AFAIK) he just adds time on at the end.
Personally, I think there *could* be a game clock, which is stopped whenever the ball is dead. That would completely eliminate time-wasting unless it's by legal means like taking the ball into the corner. I'd also make stopping/starting the clock the job of the fourth official (or similar) rather than the ref - which would take pressure off his shoulders.
It would be good if the crowd could see the 'clock' at pro games, but the ref just actually stopping his watch in lower league games would be sufficient and wouldn't require any radical new technology.
The ball is actually only in play for about an hour for most matches (https://talksport.com/football/3159...emier-league-side-201718-season-171127263506/). Obviously some of that 'missing' time is unavoidable but I reckon introducing a clock and making each half 40 minutes (for example) would mean that we actually saw quite a lot more play!

David Elleray proposed the game clock, among other things a year or two back. It's fair to say it went down like a bag of cold sick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom