+++ 03/07/20 L1 Play Off Semi Final: Leg 1 - Pompey v OUFC+++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pompey undefeated at home all season, but have never won a play off game (drawn 3, lost 3). You could therefore argue that the odds would favour a home win tonight. However I'm tempted to stick a couple of quid on Oxford 2-0 with the Dickster scoring first. 600/1 at SkyBet.

It’s not a free hit.

It’s our first real chance at the Championship after a 20 year wait.

Expect greatness. They have it within them.
It will also perhaps decide the future for some of our players whether they stay with us or move on. Taylor / Brannagan/ Dickie for instance
On top of that, who knows what the Championship will be like next season. It's always skewed by parachute payments to the relegated teams, but this year at least of disruption may make it easier to survive and stay up if we as a club and team can get through it. Wigan already gone into administration, I wonder which other clubs will really struggle financially and then on the pitch as well?

I knew some will say that it lacks ambition but I’d rather be in a league we can be competitive in than struggle for the whole season and come straight back down. To be honest I’m not sure its worth it?

It's worth it if we come back down in a better financial position than we went up in. And, if we avoid relegation, we get another wad of cash to continue the building process with and so on.

Even if we got relegated but were financially able to challenge for promotion the following season it would be worth it. Some clubs have done well by what might be described as prudent yoyoing (probably not a word).

We need to give these play offs our best shot.

At least there is one person on the Portsmouth forums who talks sense:

This is what we're up against tomorrow. When you look at their fully fit squad, man for man they should walk these play offs. I also didn't realise the run they were on before the virus took hold. This video speaks for itself. Not feeling positive about this now.

Watching that , and l am thinking ?.... You know what we can do this , we can go the whole way...

Coincidentally today’s Bargain Hunt began with antiques expert Christina Trevanion standing outside Fratton Park and wearing a Pompey scarf.

If that’s not a bad omen, I don’t know what is.

I can counter your bad omen (pre recorded months n months ago at that) ,with what is something of an unexpected good omen ( and, from today- not months ago)...Ive been a bit 'under the weather' , so had some ( very strong) anti biotics prescribed on Wednesday ... they weren't doing me a lot of good tbh, arranged a call from my GP earlier, brief discussion, he agreed I should stop taking the very strong antibiotics immediately and start with a different type of antibiotics - just got back from the pharmacy, opened the packet , .......

106559735_1002524393514076_5306228588338092872_n.jpg

A course of 14 yellow n blue capsules , IMO a proper good omen

I can counter your bad omen (pre recorded months n months ago at that) ,with what is something of an unexpected good omen ( and, from today- not months ago)...Ive been a bit 'under the weather' , so had some ( very strong) anti biotics prescribed on Wednesday ... they weren't doing me a lot of good tbh, arranged a call from my GP earlier, brief discussion, he agreed I should stop taking the very strong antibiotics immediately and start with a different type of antibiotics - just got back from the pharmacy, opened the packet , .......

View attachment 3992

yep and i just went in the office at work and there’s a yellow pages on the desk.
we’re going up

View attachment 3992

Am I the only one who is getting inexplicably enraged because the tablets aren't all lined up the same way???

I read the OWS and saw that it would not be on iFollow. Cried my heart out. Then I looked at iFollow and it says it is being broadcast in the Netherlands. I really hope so as Sky and Now TV are not available here.

why is there a thought process that we'll auto get regular drubbings if we reach the championship?
Luton unbeaten in their last 6 games and not far off safety now. Certainly no reason to suggest we'd get turned over week in week out!

I knew some will say that it lacks ambition but I’d rather be in a league we can be competitive in than struggle for the whole season and come straight back down. To be honest I’m not sure its worth it?

But being ‘competitive’ and winning games in any league below the top one is just to try and get promoted to the next level up? If we stay down in League One where we can be competitive and then win the title next season we can’t choose to stay down here...

If we can avoid relegation in the Championship then we can stabilise and become a mid table club, then try and be competitive in that league. No team has a god-given right to be competitive in any league, we could be in the conference still, League One isn’t ‘our level’, it’s just where we happen to currently be.

why is there a thought process that we'll auto get regular drubbings if we reach the championship?

Well we need to give the moaners something to talk about, otherwise they might say something vaguely positive!

Fleetwood install semi-naked mannequins and blow-up DOLLS as fan replacements for League One play-offs

Last edited:
What will be, will be. As long as the players work hard and don't leave the games with regrets, there is nothing we can do but be positive and enjoy the chance of seeing this group of players potentially play their last few games together. A great season so far and whatever happens, the memories will be there forever.

COYFY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom