Away Match Day Thread 02/10/2021 L1: Sheffield Wednesday v OUFC

Malc

Staff member
A draw here would be great. A win would be bloody fantastic, and would let League 1 know that we mean business.

Hard to call with 3 ex players most of us would happily have in our current team. Chey was the start of our excellent centre half recruitment. Hopefully they will all have a mare im thinking 1-2.

REF WATCH :

EJ5ycNeXsAEfCfV

Today’s man in the middle at Hillsborough is Wearside based Andy Haines. Haines took charge of his
first Football League match in August 2007 at Chester.

Last season the experienced official refereed 29 EFL matches brandishing 70 yellow cards and four reds.
He last took control of a match at Sheffield Wednesday in October 2013.

LAST FIVE Oxford Utd games refereed:

February 8th 2020 - Peterborough 4-0 Oxford Utd
February 23rd 2019 - Blackpool 0-1 Oxford Utd
January 12th 2019 - Fleetwood 2-2 Oxford Utd
January 8th 2018 - Charlton1-1 Oxford Utd ( EFL Trophy )
March 28th 2017 - Oxford Utd 5-1 Bury

FIRST Oxford Utd game:

January 29th 2012 - Burton 1-1 Oxford Utd

Last edited:
Wednesday boss Darren Moore could recall influential midfielder Barry Bannan to the Owls midfield
and move Sam Hutchinson to play alongside centre back Dominic Iorfa with former U Chey Dunkley
missing out. Olamide Shodipo could remain on the bench. Marvin Johnson should retain the left back berth.

For the U’s former Owl Jordan Thorniley could return for Luke McNally with Sam Long replacing Anthony Forde at full back.

Last edited:
IMAGE FROM THE PAST : Hillsborough, November 24th 1973.

ENTfgakX0AEWrVV

U’s ‘keeper Roy Burton dives at the feet of Wednesday striker Brian Joicey at a wet and windy Hillsborough.

Striker Hughie Curran bagged the winner in the 1-0 win - United’s first win on the road in ‘73-74 - in front of just 7,998.
Curran made the headlines a year earlier at Hillsborough after refusing to leave the field of play after being sent off late on by
Leicester referee John Hunting. Curran bagged the winner in that game too.

Curran was charged with bringing the game into disrepute and requested a personal hearing at the FA and he was found guilty
and banned for thee games. Wednesday later sacked boss Derek Dooley on Christmas Eve ‘73.

U’s : R Burton - D Lucas D Roberts C Clarke J Shuker - J Evanson K Skeen J Fleming - G Atkinson H Curran N Cassidy
Sub: R Smithson.

WE’VE MET U BEFORE : Hillsborough, April 1st 1991

United head to Hillsborough for a FL match for the first time in more than 30 years.
John Durnin and Paul Simpson with the goals at promotion chasing Sheffield Wednesday in a 2-0 Easter Monday win.
U’s ‘keeper Kenny Veysey saved a John Sheridan spot kick.

CSekx6BWwAID8AL

I’m really looking forward to this one. I work alongside a Sheffield Wednesday fan with a “big club mentality” and would love nothing more than to beat them this weekend.
I’m going 0-2.

Match Day!
IMG_1478.JPG
Holland was excellent on Tuesday, finally showing what he can do, but he's had a stop-start season so far due to injuries and illness, and is still feeling his way back, and did fade in the 2nd half against Accy, so maybe it's a bit soon to start him again today, so I'd use him off the bench.

With that in mind, Bodin would be the obvious choice on the left, but he's still feeling his way back as well, so I'm not sure he's ready to start yet either.

Williams however, looked excellent when he came on against Accy and played on the left, looking really dangerous, and he will offer good defensive support on that side as well, so he gets the nod from me today.

Long is another who is still feeling his way back, and Forde has been superb, looking like he's really comfortable at RB now, so he deserves to keep his place today.

Nothing to fear today, and if we play the way we know we can, then I'm confident we can bring home the points.

COME ON YOU YELLOWS!!

feeling positive this morning ....first league away of the season, 1-2 Taylor & sykes

I think Wednesday are coming to terms with our league and must be favourites as they are at home but hoping we can come away with a point

We've got a good team and squad going for 2-0 time Cam was on the score sheet

As mentioned above, Sheffield Wednesday are beginning to adapt to life in league one and will be a tougher test than some of their earlier results suggest. But we're also a much better side than some of our previous results and I think we have to believe in our game first.

We've never been great at holding on to leads, and have also missed dozens of chances to put games to bed. But we say against Accrington, and Lincoln and Charlton before that we look a very much better side once we've got a second goal.

I would play a very similar team to Tuesday, but with Long back in for Forde, Thorniley back in for McNally if fit, and possibly Gorrin in for Sykes with Henry going wide right. Harsh on all those coming out, but potentially makes us stronger defensively but with a real attacking intent to take the game to them. Holland will be full of confidence, and Taylor too. I think Henry will get more space on the right and will be able to dictate play much better knowing the the middle is protected.

Will stick with my usual positivity with Wednesday 1 - Oxford 2 (Taylor and Henry pen).

image.jpg
This is the team I’d start with the midfield is really talented you’ve got Taylor scoring again so he stays there I’d put whyte if fit up against Marvin Johnson simply because he’s not a natural LB Holland stays because he had his best game of the season on Tuesday

1-3
COYY

For those of you travelling by train (or any other way for that matter) I highly recommend the Sheffield Tap at the train station. Lovely Edwardian pub accessible from both inside and outside the station. Excellent range of real ales.

Hopefully we can beat the yellow-white-yellow kit curse today!! Why didn't someone order yellow shorts?! Also, does it matter if one team wears black shorts and the other navy shorts? Surely that wouldn't result in a case of mistaken identity?!

Tough game, a draw would feel like a win.

Feeling oddly confident today. Team finally clicked on Tuesday and confidence will be high. The question is do you set up a bit more defensively due to being away against a tough team or stick with the attacking lineup that battered a decent Accrington side? Probably a mixture of both.

Stevens
Long McNally Moore Seddon
Gorrin
Brannagan Kane
Henry Taylor Holland

2-0 up at half time, concede on 65, nervous 25 minutes but hold on for 3 points. Taylor and Henry with goals.

Back
Top Bottom