Home Match Day Thread 02-03-2021 L1 OUFC v Peterborough United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malc

Staff member
Big big test for the mighty Yellows tonight. Let's all get behind the lads and roar them on to victory. What did you say? Oh well buy iFollow tickets and give the club some much needed cash.

I was encouraged by saturdays performance in places. We didnt faff around the back too much and looked to get it forward much quicker than recently and we looked more dangerous . I think the back seven pick themselves my starting front four would be Taylor Lee Barker and Sykes or Kelly. Then Agyei and Shodipo off the bench with at least twenty minutes to go. Or surprise posh with Matt and Dan together up front.

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Kelly Gorrin
Lee Brannagan Barker
Aygei

Subs. Eastwood, Grayson, Forde, Sykes, Hall, Shodipo, Taylor

Surprised to hear Steve Kinniburgh describe this as a free hit on RadOx at the weekend. No reason why we can't give Posh a run for their money and grab a win. They made heavy weather of beating Wigan the other day. 2-0 win, Lee and Moore.

Would love for us to pick up some form and dethrone the Posh. The 97th minute equaliser was just the sort of positivity we needed to jump start the engine again.

A hard fought but tactically flawless 3-2 to the Yellows!

TONIGHT’S MAN IN THE MIDDLE :

Swindon born Alan Young is tonight’s referee, Based in Ely, Cambridgeshire and working for the Bedfordshire FA,
Young has officiated in 22 matches this season issuing 93 yellow cards and two reds.

His last Oxford Utd game was the 0-0 home draw with AFC Wimbledon in April 2019

EpNm_55XIAIVVpS

Got to take the game to Peterborough tonight. Play with the pace and energy that we did for a fair amount of the MK game and we could get something. Sit back and play the ponderous, pedestrian and often negative version of our game and we will have another frustrating evening. They don't like it up 'em....not many teams do!

Really looking forward to this game as they will be going for it full of confidence. I have a feeling we will ride our luck at times and be a banana skin for them ..3-1 ✌

Basically everyone has to be on their game. There cannot be a single passenger, especially at the back.
Hope we're not chasing the game again, can't be expected to have a last five minute flurry every time.
Will be tough...I'd take a scrappy 1-1 any day of the week.

TONIGHT’S MAN IN THE MIDDLE :

Swindon born Alan Young is tonight’s referee, Based in Ely, Cambridgeshire and working for the Bedfordshire FA,
Young has officiated in 22 matches this season issuing 93 yellow cards and two reds.

His last Oxford Utd game was the 0-0 home draw with AFC Wimbledon in April 2019

EpNm_55XIAIVVpS
What!!!!!!!

A Swindon born ref, who currently lives only 20 miles from tonight's opponents. What could possibly go wrong????

I think it's very inconvenient to have the build-up on the 'build-up' thread stopped so the build-up discussions have to continue on a different thread.

Does anybody consider the pre-match pints as an integral part of the match experience? A build-up in essence that seamlessly merges, colouring more intensely as you walk down Knight's Road, across the playground then over the brook and up the shitty steps to the back of the North Stand where the oblique efflorescence of the crowd in the Sir James Smith greets you like a realm of nodding buttercups?

Anyway. Back 5 is self-picking, In front (note not alongside or getting under his feet) of Gorrin Forde & Brannagan, Lee behind Taylor (or Agyei, they will swap at the precise correct instant Karl dictates) and either luxury winger allowed to wander about irritating all and sundry be being creative or more likely ripping their full-backs a new set of arseholes.

We will win!*

*Maybe we won't but it will not be my fault.

Let’s hope we don’t spend half the game sideways and back passing when we’re on top.

I think we'll win this. One nil, 2-1 maybe, but we've had lots of games where the performance has been nearly there but we just haven't quite gelled. I'd rather see Sykes on the right with Barker/Shodipo sharing the left and maybe stick with Lee behind Taylor. Matty didn't have much of a sniff against MK and we need to find ways to get him in the game. I wouldn't be disappointed to see Agyei start, but I think we would need a 10 to help him out. Peterborough are a strong side, but no one is unbeatable and they will allow us to play our passing game that should give us chances. So finally summary,

Oxford 2 (Taylor, Sykes) Peterborough 1

Agree on the Taylor point. If you don't get the ball you can't score. It's all very well starting Agyei to try and get us goals but if he's not getting delivery he's going to be in the same position as Taylor. Everyone on here seems to love Agyei - If he started five games in a row at CF and didn't score at all,I wonder if this forum would turn on him as quickly as it has Taylor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom