Home Match Day Thread 02-03-2021 L1 OUFC v Peterborough United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope we can sneak a draw but with our goals drying up and there formidable attack I can only see a defeat here
0 2

I think it's very inconvenient to have the build-up on the 'build-up' thread stopped so the build-up discussions have to continue on a different thread.

Does anybody consider the pre-match pints as an integral part of the match experience? A build-up in essence that seamlessly merges, colouring more intensely as you walk down Knight's Road, across the playground then over the brook and up the shitty steps to the back of the North Stand where the oblique efflorescence of the crowd in the Sir James Smith greets you like a realm of nodding buttercups?

Anyway. Back 5 is self-picking, In front (note not alongside or getting under his feet) of Gorrin Forde & Brannagan, Lee behind Taylor (or Agyei, they will swap at the precise correct instant Karl dictates) and either luxury winger allowed to wander about irritating all and sundry be being creative or more likely ripping their full-backs a new set of arseholes.

We will win!*

*Maybe we won't but it will not be my fault.
Hmm, that's not a bad team!

Everyone on here seems to love Agyei - If he started five games in a row at CF and didn't score at all,I wonder if this forum would turn on him as quickly as it has Taylor?
I think that there are a few vocal people on here who seem to love Agyei (it is almost like the second coming!)
I would imagine that many of the fan base have reservations about him and think that he has a lot to prove.
Personally seeing some people big up Agyei and slating Taylor is unbelievable (accepting that Taylor is struggling. A real goalscorer like Taylor will always come good again)

I think that there are a few vocal people on here who seem to love Agyei (it is almost like the second coming!)
I would imagine that many of the fan base have reservations about him and think that he has a lot to prove.
I see a lot of people who notice that he gets unfairly treated and harshly criticised versus others. He signed a three year deal from a Premier League club and had to watch a man who could barely walk starting every other game in his position, and that’s the only reason anyone ever started wondering what’s going on in the first place. I’ve seen nobody claim he’s the second coming or even our best striking option - we wouldn’t know. He never gets to play there. Nobody can judge him until he gets multiple opportunities in his natural position. That’s the whole point.

As for Matty Taylor, he is one of the top three centre forwards in the division, and as such gets a hell of a lot of leeway even when he underperforms. Because as you rightly say, he will come good and is class. He misses chances and people groan; others miss similar chances and people want them shot. This happens primarily because everybody knows it’s a misfire rather than a lack of ability when it occurs. I’ve not seen anybody slaughter him. Ever.

In a populist, tribalistic world everything is always painted out to be so extreme. It’s really not most of the time.

Personally seeing some people big up Agyei and slating Taylor is unbelievable (accepting that Taylor is struggling. A real goalscorer like Taylor will always come good again)
I think it's more a case of hoping for Dan/All players to be afforded the same opportunities regardless of perceived blip in performance.

This is not an A versus B scenario and anyway fans all have varying opinions on players.

I think we all know Matty Taylor is a decent striker at this level so will be given opportunities to end a barren spell because of it

BUT should A N Other not be given similar Time to have chance to prove their worth rather than be cast aside for weeks after a brief few minutes.

Having toyed with a number of options, this is what I've settled on, and would like to see:

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Gorrin Forde
Sykes Brannagan Lee
Agyei

SUBS: Henry, Taylor, Barker, Shodipo, Kelly, Grayson, Eastwood

Going against the grain a bit for me, as I usually hate 4231, but with injuries, and the current form and qualities of certain players, I'm not sure we have suitable players available for a 433, and I'm wasting my time banging on about 442 diamonds, even though I feel we've got players that would suit that formation, and it would give us two options up front, but it's not gonna happen!

But as much as we need attacking options, tonight we really need to stop them scoring, so need to keep it tight, stay in the game, and then try to pounce once they're tiring, and more space becomes available in the 2nd half.

Taylor could do with a rest, to recharge the batteries a bit, and Agyei will be buzzing after Saturday, so chuck him in, and hope he takes his chance.

Get Brannagan further forward, through the middle, where he seems to plays with more energy and desire, and I'd like to see him get some shots off, like he used to.

Forde is a very good player, always does well, and deserves a place, not just for his set pieces, but for his composure on the ball, and his ability to close players down, get stuck in and tackle.

It's gonna be a really tough game, and could be the worst time to play them, as given our recent form, and depending on the team and system Robbo chooses, we could be in for a hiding, or it could be the perfect time to play the top team, to reignite us, and get us going again, let's pray for the latter!

COYY

Having toyed with a number of options, this is what I've settled on, and would like to see:

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Gorrin Forde
Sykes Brannagan Lee
Agyei

SUBS: Henry, Taylor, Barker, Shodipo, Kelly, Grayson, Eastwood

Going against the grain a bit for me, as I usually hate 4231, but with injuries, and the current form and qualities of certain players, I'm not sure we have suitable players available for a 433, and I'm wasting my time banging on about 442 diamonds, even though I feel we've got players that would suit that formation, and it would give us two options up front, but it's not gonna happen!

But as much as we need attacking options, tonight we really need to stop them scoring, so need to keep it tight, stay in the game, and then try to pounce once they're tiring, and more space becomes available in the 2nd half.

Taylor could do with a rest, to recharge the batteries a bit, and Agyei will be buzzing after Saturday, so chuck him in, and hope he takes his chance.

Get Brannagan further forward, through the middle, where he seems to plays with more energy and desire, and I'd like to see him get some shots off, like he used to.

Forde is a very good player, always does well, and deserves a place, not just for his set pieces, but for his composure on the ball, and his ability to close players down, get stuck in and tackle.

It's gonna be a really tough game, and could be the worst time to play them, as given our recent form, and depending on the team and system Robbo chooses, we could be in for a hiding, or it could be the perfect time to play the top team, to reignite us, and get us going again, let's pray for the latter!

COYY
Largely agree with that. I would possibly start Henry somewhere in that midfield five, to thread passes through to Big Dan, maybe instead of Sykes, and bring Sykes on in the second half to bring pace if we’ve kept it at 0-0, or, even better, if we’ve scraped an opener.

Surprised to hear Steve Kinniburgh describe this as a free hit on RadOx at the weekend. No reason why we can't give Posh a run for their money and grab a win. They made heavy weather of beating Wigan the other day. 2-0 win, Lee and Moore.
I didn't get that either. It's Peterborough, not PSG and every game and every point is vital now. Absolutely no free hits. There's no team in this league we shouldn't able to compete with.

Largely agree with that. I would possibly start Henry somewhere in that midfield five, to thread passes through to Big Dan, maybe instead of Sykes, and bring Sykes on in the second half to bring pace if we’ve kept it at 0-0, or, even better, if we’ve scraped an opener.
Henry very doubtful for tonight unfortunately

I see a lot of people who notice that he gets unfairly treated and harshly criticised versus others. He signed a three year deal from a Premier League club and had to watch a man who could barely walk starting every other game in his position, and that’s the only reason anyone ever started wondering what’s going on in the first place. I’ve seen nobody claim he’s the second coming or even our best striking option - we wouldn’t know. He never gets to play there. Nobody can judge him until he gets multiple opportunities in his natural position. That’s the whole point.

As for Matty Taylor, he is one of the top three centre forwards in the division, and as such gets a hell of a lot of leeway even when he underperforms. Because as you rightly say, he will come good and is class. He misses chances and people groan; others miss similar chances and people want them shot. This happens primarily because everybody knows it’s a misfire rather than a lack of ability when it occurs. I’ve not seen anybody slaughter him. Ever.

In a populist, tribalistic world everything is always painted out to be so extreme. It’s really not most of the time.
It's an interesting one to compare the treatment of Dan to Matty, and while it is like comparing apples with pears (in terms of relative experience and what they add to a team), I thought I would take a look at what Taylor was doing when he was the same age Agyei is now. Wiki tells me this:

"In June 2014, Taylor signed for recently relegated Conference Premier club Bristol Rovers, reportedly rejecting offers from former club Oxford United and Chester as well as Mansfield Town and Kidderminster Harriers.[10] His Bristol Rovers career got off to a difficult start as he scored just three times in his first 18 matches. He finished the season with 20 goals, including one in each of the play-off semi-final matches against Forest Green Rovers. He played the full 120 minutes of the play-off Final and scored Rovers' second penalty of the shoot-out as Rovers secured an immediate return to the Football League.[11]"

So, maybe, just maybe Dan needs to be cut some slack and needs more nurturing as opposed to the tough love KR seems to favour with him....because at the same age, Taylor had just signed for a Conference club and only managed to score 3 times in his first 18 starts. And all that after rejecting us too!

I agree, Henry did well when he came on against MK, and would've made my team, ahead of Sykes, or maybe in some variation of a 433, but he's struggling with a hamstring problem though, so might not even make the bench, so if he does make it, I'd use him sparingly.

A loss is expected. A draw would be great. A win would be miraculous. Let's hope there are a few miracles floating around tonight.

I think part of the problem for Taylor is the chopping and changing and different formations in midfield. When you have a settled side everyone knows what they are doing
Plus in the past 5/6 games we are not passing the ball well enough or quickly enough and knocking the ball long which doesn’t suit Taylor.
As soon as we get back to our passing game and creating openings Taylor will thrive again

I think part of the problem for Taylor is the chopping and changing and different formations in midfield. When you have a settled side everyone knows what they are doing
Plus in the past 5/6 games we are not passing the ball well enough or quickly enough and knocking the ball long which doesn’t suit Taylor.
As soon as we get back to our passing game and creating openings Taylor will thrive again
I don't quite see how a different midfield formation causes him to miss sitters and penalties

If we was to win tonight it would be a good chance to gain some ground on the play off because donny are playing Pompey also Ipswich are playing Accrington scum could also do us a favour by beating Sunderland

I don't quite see how a different midfield formation causes him to miss sitters and penalties

That's you Agyei-lovers all over. Dragging Matty down all the time. :)

Maybe we could admit that he's not had great service recently, by and large?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom