Away Match Day Thread +++ 01/09/2018 Sunderland v OUFC Match Day Thread +++

Their forum is a mixed bag. Some think we are Saturns anal juice, other thought we wer okay.
There were many claiming the Max Power foul wasn't a red. If it had been an Oxford player I suspect their feelings wouldn't be the same.
There are some that think they are going to P**s this league. Based on what? They have been awful for years and are now in League One due to their own misfortune. They have the money so should be able to make a good push for promotion. However, their belief that they are nailed on reminds me of Luton when they were relegated to the the Conference. Cocky bastards thought they'd walk it. Four years later they got back up.
The stats from yesterday need to be looked at, we were all over them but failed to score from open play.

Five

I couldn't make the game but are we going a bit overboard here.

I know we matched them and were 1 up but then they were down to 10 men

Surely we should have killed the game off or hung onto the lead.

From the reports I have seen it appears it was an even second half which should not be the case against 10

From the reports I have seen it appears it was an even second half which should not be the case against 10

We didn't match them at 11v11, we were completely dominating the match. That is definitely something that is being overlooked by their fans.

The sending off changed the game because they dropped (even) deeper and also their crowd were hounding the ref every time we made a tackle. The team had to keep their heads and discipline otherwise the ref would've taken the chance to even things up.

Nevertheless we were state much better team over the course of 90 mins. 16 shots to their 6 (they only had 1 on target), 10 corners to their 1, and overall we had many more clear chances.

That was a tough place to go and I think the team handled the occasion and the circumstances well. If a team scores from their only shot on target there's not much you can do.

I think you should have been there.

Sunderland was my first live game of the season - this was a terrific performance, even taking into account that we should have won. My jaw dropped watching Baptiste. Kante is exactly the right comparison. He breaks up the opposition in midfield but will also be there to help sweep up problems in defence. Surrounded by two players he drifts clear past them and he is able to make Gerrard-like passes. And he's got a shot on him. Can't see Hanson replacing him on his return. And we absolutely need to lock him up contractually. I reckon he'll be with us two seasons at most before being snapped up and his ability can be key in getting us out of this division. We have obviously had a poor start to the season but if we can find a striker who puts away half chances, we should move up the table rapidly. Browne, Holmes, Brannagan, Norman, Mousinho, Nelson, Henry are a mighty core. Let's hope Garbutt steps up to the plate and Whyte consolidates his talent - God knows...we've still got Carruthers to come back.

It was like watching a Appleton team, it was better then any performance then last season.

This team has just started to warm up, in the next 10 games someone is going to get absoulety spanked by us.

Get Eastwood back in goal and garbutt in form and we can go places this season.

Also John Mousinho has arrived, that's the player I was expecting from Burton.

The way the table is looking, it looks like Pompey, Sunderland and Barnsley away will probably be the three toughest away games of the season. Makes our bad start seem slightly less and when you think about it like that.

Still got Peterborough away?

Wonder if one of the reasons Maguire lost his head is because we've gone from singing his name against Bury to suddenly having players like Holmes, who can pop a free kick casually over a wall and into the corner without breaking a sweat. Bit like seeing your ex finally stepping out with another.

It's not that I didn't love you, Chris. You satisfied me in every way. But Ricky's got a ponytail and you know how I feel about those. I hope we can still be friends.

Wonder if one of the reasons Maguire lost his head is because we've gone from singing his name against Bury to suddenly having players like Holmes, who can pop a free kick casually over a wall and into the corner without breaking a sweat. Bit like seeing your ex finally stepping out with another.

It's not that I didn't love you, Chris. You satisfied me in every way. But Ricky's got a ponytail and you know how I feel about those. I hope we can still be friends.

It’s not him, it’s you ?

First time I have seen us this season. And greatly impressed. We looked like we knew the style we wanted to play and equally how we were going to enforce it. One thing that really stood out was the number of options that we had going forward. Browne, Henry, Holmes/Whyte all move an incredible amount off the ball and when you add in Baptiste's ability to drive forward, we really did look threatening.
Brannagan pulled some fantastic passes out of his locker in the second half and looked to be playing with a bit of freedom. Norman looked like a league player of 200+ games rather than a couple. And have to say Mackie out a proper shift in, had a decent chance first half and was in the right area to put in the rebound second half all be it offside. But one of the biggest things was that he was talking to all the young lads constantly. One particular occasion in the second half when Whyte was a bit too eager and lost the ball which led to a Sunderland counter attack. Mous was berating (as a centreback should) but then Mackie grabbed Whyte around the shoulders, had a little word of advice and off they went again.

There are definitely signs of a team who can do things this season. Just need to hope that Smith/Obika can come to the party with some goals.

I think it was Norman. Every rash foul Mags made was on him. He seemed very aggrieved at being booked after the first contact between them. Whether Cameron was briefed about the kind of character he would be up against and was able to play any games, I don't know. But Mags seemed to have it in for Norman all half, and it ended up costing him.

Back
Top Bottom