Away Match Day Thread +++ 01/09/2018 Sunderland v OUFC Match Day Thread +++

Having looked at their forum, there are some positive honest comments, but as per there are some right Sunderland twats,

Such as

Their number ten literally thought he was Ronaldo with his soft diving and poncy Tory power stance/Ronaldo pre free kick pose

Few of their fans were sporting them before kick off aswell and a few top knots. The top knot the most despicable of hair cuts for a bloke.
( this was in reference that Holmes pony tail)

Some of their comments were embarrassing but fair play to the majority of them, most made decent and fair comments about us. That one about the “Tory power stance” has to be a joke surely? Most cringeworthy post on their forum ?

I'd say it's more a question of conduct from an official group. There's a difference between posters on here having a dig (of which I've been one), and a Supporter's Trust needling an individual that it has had conflict with in the past.

I have no issue with the sentiment that's being expressed, only that it shouldn't have come from the OxVox account.

I agree completely. This should never have come from the official OxVox account.

The person who looks after our social media got a little excited in the heat of the moment, with the intention of being humorous. As an organisation we will always try to maintain our integrity and try not to get drawn into personal spats on here, Twitter, or any other form of social media, something which is not always easy, particularly as we all have our own personal views!

The Tweet has now been deleted.

After a very long day and some much-needed sleep, I woke up this morning feeling as buoyant as I did on the drive home.

It was immensely frustrating not to win. I can’t help but feel we’ll never gets better chance to win at the Stadium Of Light, but that pales into insignificance when you consider the HUGE strides we’ve made since getting deservedly smashed off the park at Barnsley and Portsmouth. I’m generally always proud to be an Oxford fan, but how good did it feel walking away yesterday surrounded by Mackems who, for the most part were equally split between slagging the ref (who wasn’t great) and praising our performance?

We were bossing it at 11-vs-11, and 3-0 wouldn’t have been flattering to us at half time. The second half was more even, and it was frustrating to concede - but what I’m actually most pleased about yesterday is that with a young, unfit and tiring team we retained our composure in the heat of battle with 30,000 home fans screaming at the ref constantly - and in the last 20 we got our sh*t together, passed them off the pitch again and could’ve nicked a winner.

I thought their red card was harsh, but the ref was generally poor all game. Once he’d made an error in the red card (I thought it was cynical, but not dangerous and not denying a goal scoring opportunity - so a yellow for me) he spent the whole game trying to correct it. Maguire should’ve gone multiple times over, but the ref bottled it. He made countless blatant home team decisions to keep the crowd off his back. Having incorrectly not sent Mags off, he then also couldn’t send Baptiste off (when he should have). Shandon’s first yellow came seconds before FAILED to book a Sunderland player for a carbon copy foul on Browne. All in all, he was dire for both teams. Sunderland can act hard done by - but they should’ve been down to 10 by half time anyway (Maguire) and having failed to send Mags off he then couldn’t send Baptiste off in the second.

Holmes and Mackie were very good in the first half before tiring. Holmes’ influence as an organiser and defensive presence (he made a few immense interceptions and tackles too) was greatly missed. And I thought Mackie’s first half was a step up in both work rate and tactical awareness from Obika and Smith.

‘Best player in the league’ Browne gave them a torrid afternoon. Their crowd was on his back, but from where I was sat (admittedly us away fans were basically sat in the f*cking sky) he was getting kicked to pieces.

The running Norman and Ruffs got through at full back was immense. The difference between those two and McMahon & Garbutt’s slow, light-weight and laboured performances at Barnsley & Pompy is massive.

And a final closing word for Baptiste. What a massive performance from that kid. Incredibly impressive. He lost the ball a few times - but he lost it being brave, being progressive and (as others have said) trying to go FORWARD and make things happen. He gave Cattermole no rest all afternoon. To produce that performance in that kind of hostile environment is utterly remarkable. His progress in just a couple of months is quite stunning. What a prospect. Fingers crossed he stays grounded, knuckles down and goes the way of Callum O’Dowda rather than (sadly) James Roberts...

After a very long day and some much-needed sleep, I woke up this morning feeling as buoyant as I did on the drive home.

It was immensely frustrating not to win. I can’t help but feel we’ll never gets better chance to win at the Stadium Of Light, but that pales into insignificance when you consider the HUGE strides we’ve made since getting deservedly smashed off the park at Barnsley and Portsmouth. I’m generally always proud to be an Oxford fan, but how good did it feel walking away yesterday surrounded by Mackems who, for the most part were equally split between slagging the ref (who wasn’t great) and praising our performance?

We were bossing it at 11-vs-11, and 3-0 wouldn’t have been flattering to us at half time. The second half was more even, and it was frustrating to concede - but what I’m actually most pleased about yesterday is that with a young, unfit and tiring team we retained our composure in the heat of battle with 30,000 home fans screaming at the ref constantly - and in the last 20 we got our sh*t together, passed them off the pitch again and could’ve nicked a winner.

I thought their red card was harsh, but the ref was generally poor all game. Once he’d made an error in the red card (I thought it was cynical, but not dangerous and not denying a goal scoring opportunity - so a yellow for me) he spent the whole game trying to correct it. Maguire should’ve gone multiple times over, but the ref bottled it. He made countless blatant home team decisions to keep the crowd off his back. Having incorrectly not sent Mags off, he then also couldn’t send Baptiste off (when he should have). Shandon’s first yellow came seconds before FAILED to book a Sunderland player for a carbon copy foul on Browne. All in all, he was dire for both teams. Sunderland can act hard done by - but they should’ve been down to 10 by half time anyway (Maguire) and having failed to send Mags off he then couldn’t send Baptiste off in the second.

Holmes and Mackie were very good in the first half before tiring. Holmes’ influence as an organiser and defensive presence (he made a few immense interceptions and tackles too) was greatly missed. And I thought Mackie’s first half was a step up in both work rate and tactical awareness from Obika and Smith.

‘Best player in the league’ Browne gave them a torrid afternoon. Their crowd was on his back, but from where I was sat (admittedly us away fans were basically sat in the f*cking sky) he was getting kicked to pieces.

The running Norman and Ruffs got through at full back was immense. The difference between those two and McMahon & Garbutt’s slow, light-weight and laboured performances at Barnsley & Pompy is massive.

And a final closing word for Baptiste. What a massive performance from that kid. Incredibly impressive. He lost the ball a few times - but he lost it being brave, being progressive and (as others have said) trying to go FORWARD and make things happen. He gave Cattermole no rest all afternoon. To produce that performance in that kind of hostile environment is utterly remarkable. His progress in just a couple of months is quite stunning. What a prospect. Fingers crossed he stays grounded, knuckles down and goes the way of Callum O’Dowda rather than (sadly) James Roberts...

Just to say, if it had been Trevor Kettle then he could easily not sent off Maguire but then sent off Baptiste. :(

Of course it'll be overturned, the FA will want the 'big boy's' at full strength
THat sort of cynicism is intended to be worldly wise and sophisticated but comes over as a bit childish. There’s generally less of a conspiracy than you think

Their forum is a mixed bag. Some think we are Saturns anal juice, other thought we wer okay.
There were many claiming the Max Power foul wasn't a red. If it had been an Oxford player I suspect their feelings wouldn't be the same.
There are some that think they are going to P**s this league. Based on what? They have been awful for years and are now in League One due to their own misfortune. They have the money so should be able to make a good push for promotion. However, their belief that they are nailed on reminds me of Luton when they were relegated to the the Conference. Cocky bastards thought they'd walk it. Four years later they got back up.
The stats from yesterday need to be looked at, we were all over them but failed to score from open play.

Really good weekend - slightly tarnished by having to drive back after the game as working today.

All credit to the Sunderland fans for their hospitality. Except for the boy who hurled obscenities at my 12 year old daughter as we walked to get a hot dog. His dad must have been proud of him.

I told her to ignore him to which she replied (rather too loudly) "I would if I could see him - it's very dark in Newcastle's shadow!"

I suppose that brings my parenting into question now ?

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/oxford-and-falling-over.1444283/page-2#post-28265116

This thread is quite funny to be honest! " agree. The result would have been different if Max Power hadn't been sent off. Our superior football will shine through more times than not."
Anyone want to mention that we bossed them even at 11v11 and the fact that they are a big club makes there football more superior?

"It is cheating no one thinks our players are angels, but that yesterday was blatantly obvious cheating. Unfortunately for us the ref fell for it"
Apparently it is cheating if a player goes down after contact? Maybe sometimes a little soft but not cheating if there is legitimate contact.

Their forum is a mixed bag. Some think we are Saturns anal juice, other thought we wer okay.
There were many claiming the Max Power foul wasn't a red. If it had been an Oxford player I suspect their feelings wouldn't be the same.
There are some that think they are going to P**s this league. Based on what? They have been awful for years and are now in League One due to their own misfortune. They have the money so should be able to make a good push for promotion. However, their belief that they are nailed on reminds me of Luton when they were relegated to the the Conference. Cocky bastards thought they'd walk it. Four years later they got back up.
The stats from yesterday need to be looked at, we were all over them but failed to score from open play.

The last point is spot on, and one of the last pieces of the puzzle.

For all our attacking endeavour, how often have we got a forward in a one-on-one situation with the goalkeeper? A lot of our efforts were from outside the box, or defenders at corners.

Once we get Garbutt up to speed, I think this will change. Norman has been a revelation. If our 'wingers' are always going to be cutting inside to go for goal, we need both our full backs capable of getting to the byline.

Trying to have some banter with one of their fans on Twitter, he reckons he couldn't hear us lol

Some of the Sunderland comments really amuse me. Think about before the match. They had won most of their games and were playing a team 22nd in the League. Oxford had scored very few goals and their defence leeks goals like a very open sieve. They expected that Sunderland would turn up, knock the ball around with ease and score 4 or 5 goals. It didn't happen. Not only did they not win but for large sections of the match they were outplayed!
The search for an excuse was now on. Oxford were a bunch of time wasting, cheating thugs. It was never sending off. At least ten Oxford players should have been sent off. The referee was the worst one they had ever seen (wait till you've seen some more League One referees!!!). He was crap, but he was crap to both sides so that was 'fair'. And the search goes on.
Sad really, but understandable.

Back
Top Bottom