Home Match Day Thread +++ 01/01/2018 OUFC v MK Dons match day thread +++

Really enjoyed that today. As like many others I've been critical of Martin in the past but thought he had a cracking game today.

I have been very critical of Clotet over the past couple of months (and I still am), but give him his due he has finally given up his obsession with the pretty, pretty, tippy, tappy 4-2-3-1 formation that has been failing so much. He has finally reverted to the tried and trusted 4-4-2 (or been told to do so?) and what a difference it has made. The players finally started to play as if they knew what they were supposed to be doing. Wes Thomas actually had someone alongside him on his side unlike the usual 3 or 4 defenders and no help.
WE still don't have any real wingers to boost the 4-4-2. But those that played there did their best.

It has to be said that MK Dons were a very very poor side, but they still had to be beaten.

The main worry I have is that Clotet will revert to his highly favoured 4-2-3-1 as soon as he can. It hasn't worked as Appleton found out (though it has to be said that Appleton figured it out a lot sooner than Clotet)

The main thing now is whether Clotet will try to bring in players that suit 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 (if he allowed to bring in any players at all!)

Whatever the recruitment if he stays with 4-4-2 then I have a lot less worries about relegation.
Whether he prefers it or not this is the first time we've had 4 fit strikers to select from don't forget

Really enjoyed that today. As like many others I've been critical of Martin in the past but thought he had a cracking game today.
Much easier to defend when your midfield and front men are pressing limiting the balls into the box. Let's hope we keep with this philosophy.

(Words I never thought I'd say ...) Aaron Martin was my man of the match today.

Over all it was much, much better. Not perfect by any means (dead ball defending poor, rolling/kicking out to men already marked and that idiotic tackle are the main ones) but in other areas (e.g. willingness to close down opposition players, taking opportunities to shoot, marked upturn in the form/application of some players, formation etc) a huge improvement. Certainly enough to make it extremely unlikely that we will be flirting with relegation - although not good enough really to suggest that we will be in the playoffs.

With that in mind, I would hope that any additions to the squad in January are made with the summer and next season firmly in mind rather than a couple of 'rest of the season' loans or stop-gap signings. Let's get some players in who can bed in over the next four or five months, have a full pre-season with us and then (with fewer changes in the summer) we can hit the ground running next September.

Much better today when the second and third goals went in you could see the confidence returning through the team.
Well done lads!!
Bring on Blackpool!!
COYY

(Words I never thought I'd say ...) Aaron Martin was my man of the match today.

Over all it was much, much better. Not perfect by any means (dead ball defending poor, rolling/kicking out to men already marked and that idiotic tackle are the main ones) but in other areas (e.g. willingness to close down opposition players, taking opportunities to shoot, marked upturn in the form/application of some players, formation etc) a huge improvement. Certainly enough to make it extremely unlikely that we will be flirting with relegation - although not good enough really to suggest that we will be in the playoffs.

With that in mind, I would hope that any additions to the squad in January are made with the summer and next season firmly in mind rather than a couple of 'rest of the season' loans or stop-gap signings. Let's get some players in who can bed in over the next four or five months, have a full pre-season with us and then (with fewer changes in the summer) we can hit the ground running next September.
I repeat my previous post - Much easier to defend when your midfield and front men are pressing limiting the balls into the box. Let's hope we keep with this philosophy.

I repeat my previous post - Much easier to defend when your midfield and front men are pressing limiting the balls into the box. Let's hope we keep with this philosophy.
How can the players press a corner or a free kick?

The main difference today - we appeared to have a plan!

Before Martin played the ball down the line to Obika, for the first goal, that pass had been attempted 5/6 times. It also worked for our 3rd goal.

A clear plan to have the strikers run the channels, turn the opposition defence and look to play the ball accross the 6 yard box...playing to Thomas’ strengths. If we play like that, I would be happy to see Hemmings come back. Assuming we ply in a similar fashion, I think he would work well with 2 up top.

I thought we were over run in the midfield a little too much in the first half, but Ruffels and Lesson tightened up in the second. I thought we managed the game well, and still haven’t lost this season when scoring the first goal ?.

Still ropey at crosses in to the box and undecided on GVK!

I was going to post something very similar but you beat me to it.

I thought the system we played worked very well today so credit to Clotet where it's due. Both strikers were running wide and creating space for Gino and Payne to cut into. The MK Dons centre backs were both quite big lads but seemed a bit cumbersome and vulnerable to being moved about and we created a lot of chances - more so than many other recent games.

Other than a couple of soft touches and misplaced passes, I thought Gino was excellent today. A goal and an assist but also worked really hard.

I thought Payne out wide was a good trick too. Where we've gone 1 up front he's been easy to mark out the game, but with 2 centre forwards he was able to drop into space and cause problems, as he showed with excellent feet for the second goal.

Thomas and Obika both missed chances but deserved their goals for their all round contribution. Obika had a hand in the first goal, as did Thomas for the second by following Payne's shot in and forcing the ball out to Ledson. I also thought Ruffels had a fine game, and Carroll is a real talent.

Will we play a worse team than mk this year, they were shite.

If we had played like that against Wigan, it would have been 7-0 again, and I'm not being negative. MK Dons were far and away a poorer side than Wigan were and it allowed us to play a bit and not be clinically punished for mistakes. They didn't press and didn't take their chances, and our confidence grew once we realised we could get a result. It's what football is all about.

We are still vulnerable out wide, Ruffels is poor at concentrating while defending set pieces at the moment and we look like we need reinforcements into the squad. But we won't play many teams who were as good on the day as Wigan were. It's not the bar that some fans need to beat the club over when they want another moan. It's an example of where we should aspire to go as a club.

And Thomas played in the 10 role today. Twas not a 442.

Does anyone else think Gino if trained properly could work as a right winger?

Does anyone else think Gino if trained properly could work as a right winger?

Right now he has to if we are to keep playing 4-4-2. Maybe the transfer window will change things as he said today that he prefers to play down the middle.

Others here must have picked up on the visible presence of both Faz and Chrissy Allen in the technical area today, both very vocal, as was Clothead. Gave me the impression, along with the program notes from Ol' slippery, that words have been spoken and performance demands made. The team performance, though improved and a win, was not enough to say that we are in the clear. Too many mistakes still and set piece defending still needs work along with off ball movement.

Said a number of weeks ago that Chrissy Allen needs to get back in the technical area as positive things tend to happen when he does this. Not sure what it is, but I guess the players just respect him.

dabigfella said:
"MAPP hardly ever played 4 4 2 and we didn't do too badly under him."

You must have watched a different team to me. Appleton started off with 4-2-3-1 and changed to 4-4-2 around the end of November in his first year.
I can;t recall who partnered Hylton up top in a 442, Things changed after the 5-1 defeat at Cambridge in October but who were the front 2? We only had Hoban and Barnett until Roofe joined in January

At various times in the early part we had Ryan Taylor, Patrick Hoban, George Waring, and Jordan Bowery available. It wasn't really till after Xmas that Kemar Roofe really settled in the role. Though it was a bit of a roving commission most of the time. He tended to play where he wanted to play.:)

If we had played like that against Wigan, it would have been 7-0 again, and I'm not being negative. MK Dons were far and away a poorer side than Wigan were and it allowed us to play a bit and not be clinically punished for mistakes. They didn't press and didn't take their chances, and our confidence grew once we realised we could get a result. It's what football is all about.

We are still vulnerable out wide, Ruffels is poor at concentrating while defending set pieces at the moment and we look like we need reinforcements into the squad. But we won't play many teams who were as good on the day as Wigan were. It's not the bar that some fans need to beat the club over when they want another moan. It's an example of where we should aspire to go as a club.

And Thomas played in the 10 role today. Twas not a 442.
You could say that about any game. That's why you have an army of analysts, coaches and a manager behind the scenes to tweak tactical approaches. Wes definitely didn't play as a no.10. I'd be interested as to why you think he did. Defending set pieces needs addressing - it seems to be a mix of man and zonal marking. At this level you man mark. Players aren't smart enough for zonal and I think it's rubbish at any level TBH.

If I was Pep, given the Riccy suspension, I would train for this formation against Blackpool:
Eastwood
Mous, Martin, Williamson
GVK, Ledson, Ruffles, Mowatt
Payne
Thomas, Obika

Press, Push high and get the ball forward quickly. 3 centre halves should be able to manage an offside trap so ATTACK!

If I was Pep, given the Riccy suspension, I would train for this formation against Blackpool:
Eastwood
Mous, Martin, Williamson
GVK, Ledson, Ruffles, Mowatt
Payne
Thomas, Obika

Press, Push high and get the ball forward quickly. 3 centre halves should be able to manage an offside trap so ATTACK!

Considering we are already weak on the wings, I wouldn’t be putting my faith in Mowatt and GVK to be tracking back!

Back
Top Bottom