Current Player #8 Cameron Brannagan

CamBran talking about the eye condition and how he nearly lost his sight
Unsurprisingly it changed his life. “Massively,” Brannagan says. “They say things happen for a reason. Did it happen for a reason? I think maybe it did. Maybe a realisation that I am here. I don’t know. I am just blabbing on now. But that’s the way I put things.

“I look back and think: ‘Did I not appreciate things?’ I am not too sure. But it has made me more aware. I do remember coming back and speaking to people and, you know, when someone has a bad day in training I would say: ‘Come on mate, honestly, enjoy yourself because it can change in an instant.’ And something like that makes you aware. Life can change in the click of a finger.

“Like I say I couldn’t repay this club and that’s me being honest…there are greater things than football and what they did for me at that time, honestly, they probably saved my life.”

It partly explains why Brannagan has stayed. He has had offers to go to play in the Championship and should be at a higher level. But he is desperate to do that with Oxford.

“Listen, there were times when I was probably close to leaving,” he says. “But there’s something about this club and I’ve been here six years and I’ve gone through a lot with the club.

“I remember signing and my aim was to try and get out of this league and that’s what I’ve always wanted to do, that’s been my passion and I want to see the job through. I really do. And to repay the club and repay the fans who have been there every single week, there’s no better feeling than that. That beats any pay cheque or anything. That’s the way I am.”

Back
Top Bottom