League One Wigan Athletic woes

Could clubs not come together and carry out some form of no confidence vote against the EFL management?
I think too many smaller clubs are quite happy being part of a poorly run organisation, I doubt there would be enough to vote against.

that's a pressing themselves basically:

EFL Board
The EFL Board of Directors is responsible for providing the organisation's strategic direction.
The board consists of nine directors, six of whom are divisional representatives elected by member clubs. The divisional representatives include three directors from Championship clubs, two from League One clubs and one from a League Two club. The remaining three directors are independent of clubs and include the interim chair, the chief executive and an independent non-executive director.

Mark Ashton - Championship Director – Bristol City

Stephen Pearce - Championship Director – Derby County

Nigel Howe - Championship Director – Reading

Jez Moxey - League One Director – Burton Albion

Steven Curwood - League One Director - Fleetwood Town

John Nixon - League Two Director – Carlisle United
am I right in assuming the six named ( including Fleetwoods 'director- Fleetwood who took the P**s out of FFP by 'leasing' office space to the chairman at ridiculously inflated fees, to get round their woefully low average attendance income?) who make the decisions on points deductions and other penalties for transgressing rules?. or is that down to Baldwin and his cronies @stokeu ?

They all get a vote. Derby have "bent" the rules
Cheers for clarification @stokeu ... with two well known 'rule-benders' voting on punishments and penalties, that reinforces my view that those responsible for running EFL are rather corrupt

Cheers for clarification @stokeu ... with two well known 'rule-benders' voting on punishments and penalties, that reinforces my view that those responsible for running EFL are rather corrupt
I think that's a wrong assumption @Sarge. Derby cannot vote on their own punishment, nor can Fleetwood or any other club for that matter.
  • The EFL board can draw up rules (including potential penalties) & propose them to its members (the 72 clubs).
  • The clubs will vote on whether the rule is adopted into the EFL Regulations, or rejected.
  • If there is a breach of the regulations, the EFL invariably appoint an Independent Disciplinary Commission to investigate the case.
  • It is the Independent Commission who decide guilt and decide on the punishment.
I presume the Independent Commissions were decided upon to avoid the sort of corruption allegations you're suggesting because it completely removes the EFL and the clubs from the penal process.
Unfortunately, the Commissions have been totally inconsistent in their application of penalties for the same infringement.
It all makes the EFL look pretty incompetent but not necessarily corrupt.

I think that's a wrong assumption @Sarge. Derby cannot vote on their own punishment, nor can Fleetwood or any other club for that matter.
  • The EFL board can draw up rules (including potential penalties) & propose them to its members (the 72 clubs).
  • The clubs will vote on whether the rule is adopted into the EFL Regulations, or rejected.
  • If there is a breach of the regulations, the EFL invariably appoint an Independent Disciplinary Commission to investigate the case.
  • It is the Independent Commission who decide guilt and decide on the punishment.
I presume the Independent Commissions were decided upon to avoid the sort of corruption allegations you're suggesting because it completely removes the EFL and the clubs from the penal process.
Unfortunately, the Commissions have been totally inconsistent in their application of penalties for the same infringement.
It all makes the EFL look pretty incompetent but not necessarily corrupt.
fair comment @warksox .... there really needs to be some (big) changes with how EFL 'manage' (mismanage) things currently IMO

They might be forced out of DW stadium to play at the Rugby Stadium too according to reports today.Simon Grayson expected to take charge

It could well affect them too. It was reported on the BBC site earlier

It could well affect them too. It was reported on the BBC site earlier

They both have leases don't they? At least as a short term back up Warriors have their training ground (the old Orrell RU Ground) but when crowds are allowed back it is very limited capacity wise.

Wigan Athletic own the DW, Wigan Warriors have a lease to play there - Ian Lenaghan made an offer to buy the stadium, but the administrator would not sell it separately from the club.

Edit: Not quite true - The ground is owned and managed by Wigan Football Company Limited, which is 85% owned by Wigan Athletic and 15% owned by Wigan local authority, but to all intents and purposes......

Last edited:
They've already been playing cup games, so were never not going to start the league

John Sheridan announced as manager.
Hardly set the world alight, so hopefully we get the chance to avenge that 0-7 defeat

Back
Top Bottom