Where to sit?

Mighty Tage

As previously posted, I’m not a native Oxford fan, but l’m taking my son this season. He’s 8 and we’ve been to 2 home games so far and I’m taking him to the match again on Saturday.

So far, we’ve sat in the family stand (north stand I think) but it’s not very lively and the stewards seem mad keen on patrolling, which is distracting especially when they stand directly in front of you between the sponsor boards and seating!

So to the faithful, please tell me about the merits of each stand and recommendations.

Also, is the beer served P**s warm around the ground?

Cheers,

I think a lot depends on whether you, and your son are happy standing to watch or prefer to sit. Neighbour of mine took his lad to his first game last week and they elected to sit in the SSU. Reported back that they thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Could be you are happy standing then the East stand is great fun with the singing and a more boisterous crowd - language will be a little more colourful but hey, it's a football ground! Away from the family area, the rest of the North stand is a mix of those who sit and those who stand. Closer to the opposition fans tend to get a little more "active" so maybe not the right place for an eight year old, otherwise a good atmosphere when a good crowd is in.
I would say, give each a go, depending on your preferences and find out what suits best. It's the football that counts.

Maybe you should try each stand m, at least a couple of games and see what your son thinks as @Manorlounger says the east stand is full of colourful language but there are also a lot of youngsters who sit there so that would be a personal choice.
I can’t speak for the South stand lower/upper but they are generally quieter whereas the east stand the singing (when it happens starts there ) can be noisy but the supporters do enjoy and try and join in.
But as I said leave it to your son let him tell you where he enjoys being on match day.
PPS tell the steward to P**s off somewhere welsenas you and your son want to watch the game.

SSU is good and we do make the odd noise, regarding stewarding I had to ask one to move as he had no idea he was blocking the view of about 20 people, as others have said, try different areas and see what suits you both.

North stand is the best. Try going higher and the stewards become less in the way.

Maybe you should try each stand m, at least a couple of games and see what your son thinks as @Manorlounger says the east stand is full of colourful language but there are also a lot of youngsters who sit there so that would be a personal choice.
I can’t speak for the South stand lower/upper but they are generally quieter whereas the east stand the singing (when it happens starts there ) can be noisy but the supporters do enjoy and try and join in.
But as I said leave it to your son let him tell you where he enjoys being on match day.
PPS tell the steward to P**s off somewhere welsenas you and your son want to watch the game.
Cheers, might try east stand then. Not bothered about a bit of language, he knows not to repeat it in front of his mum or he won’t go again.

Lots saying North stand, but I’ve not seen the full force of it yet.

I'd assume the Beer is always served warm tbh. If it isn't you've got lucky!

Cheers, might try east stand then. Not bothered about a bit of language, he knows not to repeat it in front of his mum or he won’t go again.

Lots saying North stand, but I’ve not seen the full force of it yet.
I take my boys 7-9 and we sit in the east stand fairly decent bunch in there to be fair obviously abit of foul language but it’s football

The South Stand is like a freezer in the Winter whereas the North and East Stands get a bit of sunshine.

SSU near the half way line for a great view of the football.

North stand near the back for a great view of the football with a bit of atmosphere, and a bit of winter sun to keep you warm (because the Kassam Stadium is 15°C colder than anywhere else in the country!)

East Stand for the ultimate atmosphere.

The Fence end if money’s tight.

My lads playing an away game for his football team, KO 12pm so might be tight. If we go I think I’ll try the east stand this time.

I sat in the South stand upper, great view and the lager was cold. Quiet, but it was like that in the North stand. Will try the east stand next time.

So far, South stand edging it for me.

I sat in the South stand upper, great view and the lager was cold. Quiet, but it was like that in the North stand. Will try the east stand next time.

So far, South stand edging it for me.
It's quiet in every stand these days. More atmosphere on the moon than the kassam.

I used to SSU mostly, but have come to enjoy the buzz of the East Stand. Not sure I'd want to take an 8 year old there (though you do see kids down the front) as some of the behaviour is hardly the sort of thing I'd want to get my kid used to. Don't get me wrong, I'm no saint, and my language does contain the occasional profanity, but there are some people in there (especially men in their 40s) who feel their sole purpose at the ground is to be as horrifically abusive to the opposing players as possible, and it's sad to see that some of the younger fans in the front rows seem to find this amusing and even try to mimic that behaviour.

I sit with my boys in the east stand one is 7 the other is 9 but they understand that what they hear at football is never repeated outside and never in front of their mum but then when I was younger I used to fo in the London road and that was probably worse

Understandably that is always going to be the case at football, where emotions run high etc. I was more horrified at the Charlton match a few weeks back, where I heard one drunken man persistently try to encourage a very timid looking kid (the son of one of his friends, probably about 10 years old) to get involved in the chanting, when he clearly didn't want to. Call me a snowflake, but it felt a bit too much like bullying / toxic masculinity.

Like I said, I'm no saint, but I keep that for the games when I'm not surrounded by kids.

Back
Top Bottom