National News When was the last time you..........

..spent cash? Real cash. The folding stuff, coins that type of stuff.

Me? I can`t remember..... :oops:

Leave the house and take the tinfoil off your head. Might help your memory.

Meanwhile a few stalls on my local market are cash only. You know that strange “outside” thing . Where you walk out in fresh air and don’t get freaked out by seeing someone else within 2 metres for a second as you pass by. In case they breathe nearby.

Meanwhile the COVID fog is moving down south apparently. Having infected the north , the fog is about to hit the south east.

Took fifty quid out just before lockdown in March, still got a fiver left. Butchers in the covered market and tips for the lovely woman who cuts my hair.

If you never use a pound coin then how do you get your trolley at the supermarket?

Incidentally, I volunteer at our village community shop and I would say that just under half of the customers pay with cash. That percentage went well down during April but has steadily risen again since then. Interestingly over 90% of the customers who pay by card do not ask for a copy of their transaction slip, I don't understand that at all.
I've noticed recently that increasingly I get asked if I want a receipt. Of course I do. It should be offered as an integral part of the transaction. If you haven't got a receipt how do you prove to the security on your way out of the supermarket that you've paid for everything in your bag? Especially when you look as shifty as me.

The one opposite the pier? Was there a couple of months ago and the fish and chips were as good as we'd had in a very long time!!
Yes that’s the one, down a step and room for one at a time. Wait outside for it to be cooked. It’s about 40 minutes from home so shopping trips (nearest M&S) are usually timed so we can get a nice fish and chip tea!

Leave the house and take the tinfoil off your head. Might help your memory.

Meanwhile a few stalls on my local market are cash only. You know that strange “outside” thing . Where you walk out in fresh air and don’t get freaked out by seeing someone else within 2 metres for a second as you pass by. In case they breathe nearby.

Meanwhile the COVID fog is moving down south apparently. Having infected the north , the fog is about to hit the south east.

Been out, shopped, bought stuff, got the bus, been to work even been to the pub, when they briefly opened. All of it app or card.
I used a £1 coin at Makro for the trolley... got that back so wasn`t spent.

Just a social observation, life goes on but things change very subtly without us noticing.

To be fair I was paying for less and less by cash before this anyway, contractless cards and internet shopping have changed that regardless of coronavirus. The days of waking up from a session with half a tonne of change are over for me now, and if I have cash I spend it but I am not going to go searching for a cash machine when I can just tap my card.

Biggest worry is how it’s hard to relate what you actually spend when you don’t hand over paper money to reality, doesn’t feel like you are spending real money.

Up to a few years ago any spare change in wallet or pocket ended up in a jar which in turned up in a building society account , the idea was that it would cover the cost of replacing fridge ,or any other white goods , I was fortunate that nothing broke down and the money ended up being absorbed in to my general savings, it was a complete painless way of saving

Will it never end ... the tyre-air machine at the garage is now contactless payment only !!

If you never use a pound coin then how do you get your trolley at the supermarket?
We have a trolley token in the car. Unlocks supermarket trolleys, and stays in the car as no-one is tempted to nick it when they quickly need some change for a parking meter

Up to a few years ago any spare change in wallet or pocket ended up in a jar which in turned up in a building society account , the idea was that it would cover the cost of replacing fridge ,or any other white goods , I was fortunate that nothing broke down and the money ended up being absorbed in to my general savings, it was a complete painless way of saving
I did a similar thing donkey's years ago when I wanted to give up smoking. There was a musical instrument I was hankering after, so I stopped smoking - not easy - and every time I would have popped out to get another packet (once a day or so!) I put the money I would have spent into a jar. Just watching the pot fill up was enough to keep me on the straight and narrow. By the (surprisingly short) time I had saved up enough to but what I wanted, I had broken the habit and it had brought home to me how much money I'd been just burning. Never smoked again.
I also do the same as you (or at least did when I was going out and spending cash!). At the end of every day, empty any change out of my pockets into a jar. Amazing how quickly you save quite a lot of money that way.

I use cash all the time like to know where my moneys going, draw it out of a bank once a week ,still use it for most payments that do not require a card ,do on line banking as well ,think its stood me in good stead financially or maybe I’m just tight😳🤔.

Cash doesn’t work if you are shielded and/or self isolated so for all intents I have become cashless through circumstances rather than choice

Cash for the market, 6-a-side subs and also for tonight*. The aforementioned by others coin jar will not offer much cheer when cashed in this Christmas!

*I get fined £1 every time I swear at football

Cash for the market, 6-a-side subs and also for tonight*. The aforementioned by others coin jar will not offer much cheer when cashed in this Christmas!

F#@# that 😉

Can you swear on my behalf ?

Back
Top Bottom