Up and running

• Thread starter Deleted member 5165
  • Start date
So if this list has been around for ages then why is it only fans have pulled up the standing part of it.
As Bazzer has said, people know what is and isn’t acceptable at football. All those things on the poster are on the ground regulations which are also up around the ground. Why is it then that the club have gone out their to make their own poster of how you report things and included standing on it?

If you go into the east stand you will get people standing up, shouting, swearing and the odd chant slagging the other team off or even being really naughty and calling the ref a w****r. All things that are deemed acceptable in that stand. Do that in the family stand and people would take a dim few of it.
There are sections around the ground for everyone and what environment they want to have when watching the match.

To me it is just another thing that is creeping in to sanitise the experience of going to watch a football match.
You do know that this notice has been around for at least a couple of years? I've seen it displayed in the SSL and North stand concourse and I'm sure it was the subject of posts on here.

Why have fans picked out the standing bit? God knows! It's probably the same reason why people get angry on behalf of others. Do you know anyone who has been evicted for standing? No? Then why make a big issue about it.

Twitter has been a real eye opener on this whole supporters panel. It appears they're a direct mouthpiece for Andy Taylor the SLO.

Rather than taking on supporters complaints / criticisms and actively making the matchday experience better, they are actually absorbing and responding to complaints for the SLO and hitting back at supporters.

Basically a shut up and put up attitude on Twitter with a bit of backing up by Andy Taylor.

They are a mouthpiece for the club and keeping supporters issues away from the club itself. 4 supporters who are as little varied as possible, easily influenced and certainly not in a position to challenge the club on anything, rather support the club / SLO and bounce back complaints and criticism in the direction it came from.

You do know that this notice has been around for at least a couple of years? I've seen it displayed in the SSL and North stand concourse and I'm sure it was the subject of posts on here.

Why have fans picked out the standing bit? God knows! It's probably the same reason why people get angry on behalf of others. Do you know anyone who has been evicted for standing? No? Then why make a big issue about it.
Tell that to your good friend AT, he's made such a big deal of it on Twitter we are now in threat of losing our safety certificate. Laughable!

Twitter has been a real eye opener on this whole supporters panel. It appears they're a direct mouthpiece for Andy Taylor the SLO.

Rather than taking on supporters complaints / criticisms and actively making the matchday experience better, they are actually absorbing and responding to complaints for the SLO and hitting back at supporters.

Basically a shut up and put up attitude on Twitter with a bit of backing up by Andy Taylor.

They are a mouthpiece for the club and keeping supporters issues away from the club itself. 4 supporters who are as little varied as possible, easily influenced and certainly not in a position to challenge the club on anything, rather support the club / SLO and bounce back complaints and criticism in the direction it came from.

Anything to support that?

He talks of the need for the club to be seen to be doing the right thing, whether they agree with it or not. And that it's linked to safety certificates (which it clearly is). He then acknowledges that standing is emotive and his personal preference would be for a return to terraces, but we're not at that stage yet.

So where is the big deal? All sounds fairly measured to me.

It’s almost like the club were all in favour of this supporters panel to be set up as a way to manipulate the fan base rather than go through OxVox as it suited the club and they could filter what was dealt with.

Just an opinion of course..

It’s almost like the club were all in favour of this supporters panel to be set up as a way to manipulate the fan base rather than go through OxVox as it suited the club and they could filter what was dealt with.

Just an opinion of course..
You'd imagine if they wanted to filter things they wouldn't have every comment visible through twitter?

Reading and understanding is not the same thing.
May I suggest you understand the term "zero tolerance" then in regards to persistent standing. Quite a claim from someone who works for OUFC.

Whether they take that approach or not, publicly stating is hardly great PR when the matchday experience and atmosphere has been shocking recently.

May I suggest you understand the term "zero tolerance" then in regards to persistent standing. Quite a claim from someone who works for OUFC.

Whether they take that approach or not, publicly stating is hardly great PR when the matchday experience and atmosphere has been shocking recently.

"EFL ground regulations (which we have to enforce) .... we have to take a 'zero tolerance' approach whether we agree with them or not."

Firstly, this isn't just persistent standing, but where doing so affects safety or decency for others. Stand on stairs or by exits and you'll be asked to move to free access. Stand in the front row when others are sat behind and you'll be asked to sit down. Stand at the back with other like minded individuals and you're perfectly fine. And we know that because it goes on every week without issue and nothing will change.

Secondly, these are part of the ground regulations that every club signs up to and we have to demonstrate compliance to get the safety certificate. Do you think this is the work of one man, who I'm not sure was even in post when these posters were first put out? Or a supporters panel that have only been running for a week?

It's only an issue for those looking for an issue.

A grim and depressing turn of events.

As predicted. No club would set up a rival to the established, independent supporters organisation to improve fans' experience.

A mouthpiece for the SLO and tool to nudge fans into doing what the club (or is it just the SLO) wants. It would be interesting to hear from a senior club spokesperson on the official view.

No they’re not and if people are to stupid to know what you can and can do or say at a football match then that’s their problem. Racism , homophobic and prejudice have been round for decades whether at football or in the street, and all the rules and laws that have been in place for sometime m surely you would think people are intelligent enough to understand. But I for one won’t be grassing
I don’t like the term ‘grass’. If someone is breaking the law or behaving like a w****r you should report them - obviously not for something trivial like standing, of course- rather than be expected to confront them.

The issue here isn’t the national regulations which we can all see are needed, even the standing one if it’s blocking exits etc.

The issue is that the fans panel is under the influence of the club and the SLO. It’s being used to flow doctrine from the SLO to the fan base when it claimed it would flow concerns and suggestions from the fans to the club. A great many of us could see this would be the case and this is why only four people stepped forward. I believe the club should have pulled the idea as soon as it was clear only four volunteered and to press on is folly.

We have a strong, experienced, and independent supporter trust and it’s they that I’ll continue to want to represent the fans.

Id suggest the panel is disbanded and the willing four be made club ambassadors instead so they can help fans on match day by directing and answer questions.

I feel a little sorry for the four volunteers - they couldn’t have known the idea would be met with a (justified) degree of cynicism and apparent suspicion. I agree with Horse: disband the panel before the relationship between them and the supporter base becomes too bitter.

We are pleased to confirm two co-opted members. Richard Jackson and Joe Nicholls regularly attend matches in the East Stand. Their experience as a regular long-distance fan and as a long-standing member of the Yellow Army complements the existing Panel membership. This brings the Panel to seven, including one from OxVox.

We are pleased to confirm two co-opted members. Richard Jackson and Joe Nicholls regularly attend matches in the East Stand. Their experience as a regular long-distance fan and as a long-standing member of the Yellow Army complements the existing Panel membership. This brings the Panel to seven, including one from OxVox.

I have two (slightly tongue in cheek) questions @OUSP Secretary ....

will the committee of 7 be 'standing up' for the fanbase regarding overzealous/ heavy-handed stewarding ( especially in the North Stand) at home games of late?

And, equally 'standing up' to the club's SLO for imposing OUFC corporate outlook while misusing what the OUSP was apparently created to achieve, including improving the matchday experience with a recent statement re standing, presumably backing the aforementioned stewards actions, ( including when celebrating a goal!), thus causing increased cynism regarding OUSP before it has even got off the ground?

I certainly hope so !

I’d add to the above by asking if the panel were involved in the consultation regarding the switch of the Bristol Rovers game to Sunday lunchtime. If they weren’t involved they really do have not point other than being a front for the SLO.

I’d add to the above by asking if the panel were involved in the consultation regarding the switch of the Bristol Rovers game to Sunday lunchtime. If they weren’t involved they really do have not point other than being a front for the SLO.
I think that was the old bill who would have told the club a 1 pm kick off doubt whether supporters panel have any say in this sort of issues

Back
Top Bottom