International News Donald Trump 🍊🇺🇸

I love in the details that came out about his campaign spending, that they spent almost $2million on TV advertising in the Washington DC area. The Republicans don't normally spend much in DC as they don't really have a hope there - but Trump wants to see ads for himself when he watches TV. Not sure he really understands the point of advertising...

I love in the details that came out about his campaign spending, that they spent almost $2million on TV advertising in the Washington DC area. The Republicans don't normally spend much in DC as they don't really have a hope there - but Trump wants to see ads for himself when he watches TV. Not sure he really understands the point of advertising...

In 2016, Trump won 4% of the vote in D.C. 4%!!?!

A battleground it ain't. All hail vanity advertising!

And such a massive shame to see some of Trumps "base" slipping away from him too: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ho-will-win-swing-states-debate-b1220148.html

It will be interesting to see the fallout from tonights debate too.

I think I can almost write Trumps responses now: "you're all so unfair (wah,wah,wah)", "the biased media have it in for me (wah, wah,wah)", "if I don't win then this election has been stolen from me"

Orange, shredded wheat-haired t**t

Donald Trump appears to be losing out on the white working class male support that was so integral to his election win in 2016 as the president himself lashes out at the latest dire projection from Fox News, insisting the survey is “totally FAKE” and that all forecasts ahead of the 3 November ballot are likely to be wrong.

Love it! That extreme left wing outlet Fox News giving Trump news he doesn't want, soliciting an innovative 'fake news' response.

I see Nigel Farage is over in US helping Trump now. Could swing it for him

On another thread I mentioned the "silent majority", those who say nothing they just vote.
Now I don`t truly understand American politics, but I would suggest there is a similar silent majority over there.

Who they vote for will probably swing it.

Also quite fitting to see the Supreme Court scewing over Trump by throwing out his whining over late poll counts.

Suck it up Pumpkin head[emoji23]

• React
Reactions: QR
Stolen from social media.......accurate:

Someone asked "Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?"

Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England, wrote this magnificent response:

"A few things spring to mind.

Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem.

For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace - all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.

So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing - not once, ever.

I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility - for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman.

But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is - his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers.

And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults - he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.

There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface.

Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront.

Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.

And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist.

Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that.

He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat.

He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege.

And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully.

That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.

There are unspoken rules to this stuff - the Queensberry rules of basic decency - and he breaks them all. He punches downwards - which a gentleman should, would, could never do - and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless - and he kicks them when they are down.

So the fact that a significant minority - perhaps a third - of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think 'Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:
* Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.
* You don't need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss.

After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of s**t. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid.

He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart.

In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws - he would make a Trump.

And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish:

'My God… what… have… I… created?

If being a t**t was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set."

Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England, wrote this magnificent response:

For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace - all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.

So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing - not once, ever.

I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility - for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman.

But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is - his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers.

And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults - he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.

There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface.

And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist.

That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.

There are unspoken rules to this stuff - the Queensberry rules of basic decency - and he breaks them all. He punches downwards - which a gentleman should, would, could never do - and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless - and he kicks them when they are down.

So the fact that a significant minority - perhaps a third - of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think 'Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:
* You don't need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss.

After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of s**t. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid.

In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws - he would make a Trump.

And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish:

Bloody hell! Would you mind writing a piece about my ex mother-law?

I don't think it leads to anything - Trump seems teflon-coated when it comes to legal action. He's fighting on numerous different fronts, but I highly doubt he sees the inside of a jail cell in his lifetime.

But I also doubt now that he wins the Republican nomination for 2024 either. They are wising up to the fact that whilst about a third of the US population loves him, the remaining two thirds thinks he's an idiot. Plenty of evidence during the recent midterms, when a whole bunch of Trumpist candidates lost seats (e.g. Pennsylvania, Arizona, Georgia) that the Republican party really should have won in any midterm, let alone one held at a time when inflation is sky high and the incumbent President is unpopular.

I suspect that if the Republican administration can coalesce around another candidate (most likely DeSantis) then we'll see the end of the Trump era of US politics. Although I bet he goes down kicking and screaming.......

I don't think it leads to anything - Trump seems teflon-coated when it comes to legal action. He's fighting on numerous different fronts, but I highly doubt he sees the inside of a jail cell in his lifetime.

But I also doubt now that he wins the Republican nomination for 2024 either. They are wising up to the fact that whilst about a third of the US population loves him, the remaining two thirds thinks he's an idiot. Plenty of evidence during the recent midterms, when a whole bunch of Trumpist candidates lost seats (e.g. Pennsylvania, Arizona, Georgia) that the Republican party really should have won in any midterm, let alone one held at a time when inflation is sky high and the incumbent President is unpopular.

I suspect that if the Republican administration can coalesce around another candidate (most likely DeSantis) then we'll see the end of the Trump era of US politics. Although I bet he goes down kicking and screaming.......

The worry for the Republicans has to be a nasty fight between DeSantis and Trump*. If Trump loses then has a tantrum (very possible) he could easily tell his supporters not to turn out to vote. Whilst I'm sure plenty would ignore him, plenty would still listen to him considering the MAGA nutters and Capitol Hill.

*I appreciate they are generally not pleasant anyway but Trump and losing clearly isn't a good mix.

I don't think it leads to anything - Trump seems teflon-coated when it comes to legal action.
I’m not sure the US establishment can afford for nothing to happen. If they don’t firmly put a lid on what Trump tried to do, it will come back again - not necessarily with Trump but with someone even more dangerous.

Last edited:

I've only just seen this. What a brilliant analysis!

Trump indicted:

Still don't think he goes to jail for this.
Proving the basics of this case (i.e. that Cohen paid off Stormy Daniels, was reimbursed by Trump and his company then falsely accounted for that as 'legal expenses') should be straightforward - but that in itself is just a misdemeanor and a fine.

To actually punish him more severely, they have to prove that this misdemeanor was covering up misuse of campaign funds, that Trump knew that doing this was illegal and they have to come up with a good reason why they've taken so long to prosecute, because New York has a five year statute of limitations on felonies.

Most likely outcome - slap on the wrist and a fine, and he gets more votes from his base in the primaries as he can claim martyrdom.

Still don't think he goes to jail for this.
Proving the basics of this case (i.e. that Cohen paid off Stormy Daniels, was reimbursed by Trump and his company then falsely accounted for that as 'legal expenses') should be straightforward - but that in itself is just a misdemeanor and a fine.

To actually punish him more severely, they have to prove that this misdemeanor was covering up misuse of campaign funds, that Trump knew that doing this was illegal and they have to come up with a good reason why they've taken so long to prosecute, because New York has a five year statute of limitations on felonies.

Most likely outcome - slap on the wrist and a fine, and he gets more votes from his base in the primaries as he can claim martyrdom.

I agree for this case but I suspect it may start the dominoes falling for the other more serious cases.

Back
Top Bottom