Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

I think it makes plenty of sense.

Lots of people moan when the club is quiet.
Who's moaning, simply saying kr is off on his annual press bites on transfers. I simply think like other managers he should keep it to himself, until a deal is signed, as other managers seem to do.

Why do you say I hate him, rather silly, simply because I don't think he is first choice material. Do you hate players you criticise?
I don't know him, never met him, why would I hate him? Having seen quite a bit of Stevens, like Foley, I don't see him as first choice, as kr didn't seem to up until the last few weeks. Whenever teams push for promotion, whenever we've done well we have always had a quality, experienced keeper martialling the back line. I don't see Stevens in that long term role, having seen how he can make mistakes. Simply my thoughts. He may go on to take that role, in which case good luck to him. Its all about the team doing well, football is a game of opinions.
As someone who has seen Stevens play as often as you have, what mistakes have you seen?

I think Stevens has done well after coming in. The more experience he gets, the better he will be. He *is* vocal compared to Easty, and for a relatively junior member of the team that is a good sign. Of course, if we have all of the outfield players we need and someone better pops up for a price the club wants to pay, then fine - get a new keeper. But until that day dawns, I am happy with what Stevens has done so far. That equation might of course change in January should Easy leave and will change in the summer when he does.

Poor recruitment decisions? They haven’t all worked out as well as hoped, but we don’t have a failsafe way of signing only the next Roofe and Dickie. The only really poor decision was not prioritising another defender.
The question though is why have they not worked? Some naturally just won’t, but are there other factors, does the recruitment strategy look different from let’s say under Appleton?

It certainly feels like we’ve stepped away from signing premier league youth setup dropouts (with exclusions) and moved towards looking at the home nation leagues + IRL, I think this inherently brings more risk as the pedigree is naturally going to be lower.

Why do you say I hate him, rather silly, simply because I don't think he is first choice material. Do you hate players you criticise?
I don't know him, never met him, why would I hate him? Having seen quite a bit of Stevens, like Foley, I don't see him as first choice, as kr didn't seem to up until the last few weeks. Whenever teams push for promotion, whenever we've done well we have always had a quality, experienced keeper martialling the back line. I don't see Stevens in that long term role, having seen how he can make mistakes. Simply my thoughts. He may go on to take that role, in which case good luck to him. Its all about the team doing well, football is a game of opinions.
We’re not really pushing for promotion this season though are we?! Experience doesn’t guarantee results, if you have the skills, it shouldn’t matter what age you are

Give the lad some time and I think he could do alright, if he doesn’t, sign someone to replace him and move him on in the summer

If we can do one thing with this pretty mediocre season, the least we could do is blood some of our youngsters more regularly

We’re not really pushing for promotion this season though are we?! Experience doesn’t guarantee results, if you have the skills, it shouldn’t matter what age you are

Give the lad some time and I think he could do alright, if he doesn’t, sign someone to replace him and move him on in the summer

If we can do one thing with this pretty mediocre season, the least we could do is blood some of our youngsters more regularly

That’s what I have been thinking, with the size of the squad having to be reduced to 20 players next season and a wage cap getting a few youth players some experience might be vital, plus it’s increasingly hard to be arsed about a season where success is going to have to achieved in front of an empty stadium.

I would snap your hand off if you offered me staying up and blooding a couple of youngsters to leave us stronger for next season when hopefully proper matches in front of crowds will resume.

The question though is why have they not worked? Some naturally just won’t, but are there other factors, does the recruitment strategy look different from let’s say under Appleton?

It certainly feels like we’ve stepped away from signing premier league youth setup dropouts (with exclusions) and moved towards looking at the home nation leagues + IRL, I think this inherently brings more risk as the pedigree is naturally going to be lower.

Also we've signed from non-league (Rob Atkinson) and of course our neighbours with Rob Dickie (Reading). Tbf even MApp was saying we had to look for different waters to fish towards the end when he was here. I hope we can pick up a gem or 2 like Cam Brannagan and the others before him but if we can get players like Gav Whyte and Rob Dickie from other sources then I'm happy with that.

That’s not always true. When we got promoted under Appleton did we not have Benji Buchel and Sam Slocombe as our keepers? Neither were that good.

If he does well for us, great. You don't seem convinced we could push for promotion then? Experience doesn't guarantee results, but he does have a fair bit of experience, having been at the club so long. As for skills, lets see how we go this season.

If he does well for us, great. You don't seem convinced we could push for promotion then? Experience doesn't guarantee results, but he does have a fair bit of experience, having been at the club so long. As for skills, lets see how we go this season.
I’m absolutely convinced that we can’t push for promotion this season, you can’t keep making slow starts like we have and hope to come out smelling of roses, so we have to look for the silver linings, and to me, playing some nearly there youth teamers is a good start

Why are people being critical of Stevens, for heavens sake give the guy a chance, yes, like all keepers he will make mistakes and let in a softy, at the moment he is looking very solid and commands his area very well. A striker misses a sitter soon forgotten, a keeper makes a mistake, always remembered.

Why are people being critical of Stevens, for heavens sake give the guy a chance, yes, like all keepers he will make mistakes and let in a softy, at the moment he is looking very solid and commands his area very well. A striker misses a sitter soon forgotten, a keeper makes a mistake, always remembered.

It's not people, but person, and one that hasn't much credibility as it is!

Stevens is doing well and has the fully support of 99.9% of the fan base and those at the club!

I’m absolutely convinced that we can’t push for promotion this season, you can’t keep making slow starts like we have and hope to come out smelling of roses, so we have to look for the silver linings, and to me, playing some nearly there youth teamers is a good start
On what do you base your negative stance?
I'm not saying we will, but as the whole squad is fit, nearly and the window is all bar open to make the few tweaks he seems to thinks he needs, then it's a distinct possibility. There's roughly half the season to go as well.
Even if we were in a situation where we are really struggling for a long period, the last thing you would do is throw in the youth. Can you imagine the amount of pressure they would be under, it could real have adverse effects on their development, if it went pear shaped.
This time last year, during the window, a few changes were made, we went on that run that could have seen us go up automatically.

On what do you base your negative stance?
I'm not saying we will, but as the whole squad is fit, nearly and the window is all bar open to make the few tweaks he seems to thinks he needs, then it's a distinct possibility. There's roughly half the season to go as well.
Even if we were in a situation where we are really struggling for a long period, the last thing you would do is throw in the youth. Can you imagine the amount of pressure they would be under, it could real have adverse effects on their development, if it went pear shaped.
This time last year, during the window, a few changes were made, we went on that run that could have seen us go up automatically.
Having a sense of perspective and realism isn’t me being negative, I just simply don’t believe we’ve good enough this season and now I believe we’re too far behind, last seasons run was great, but it’s unlikely we can repeat that again in my opinion

I don’t believe we’ll be in a relegation battle either so I don’t see an issue giving some of our prospects some game time

Hon. mention, Barnsley 2015/6.

Bottom at Chrimbo to playoff winners (with a Shitabrick Trophy triumph to boot).

I for one won't be giving up on this season, yet!

ENRdSxAXUAAWLoQ

Oxford Utd and Hibs vying for Chris Cadden?

This could be the mystery position that KR was looking to strengthen...

Would be very harsh on Long; but guess he’ll be able to fight for his place.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Back
Top Bottom