Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

Didn't KR tell the Ox Mail that McNally wasn't happening last week, or did I imagine that?

The different approach to disseminating information during this window really seems to have paid off....and if a few people in the media and on social media get a bum steer/led up the garden path, then that is a bonus and entertaining to watch 🤣

Didn't KR tell the Ox Mail that McNally wasn't happening last week, or did I imagine that?

The different approach to disseminating information during this window really seems to have paid off....and if a few people in the media and on social media get a bum steer/led up the garden path, then that is a bonus and entertaining to watch 🤣

Yes, he did as KR mentioned it in his interview after signing McNally. It was part of the negotiating with St Pat's for the level of fee.

It was obviously a good transfer window in the end, so well done to the 'recruitment team' and thanks to the board for paying for it. The sad thing is that we won't get to go to games to see these players for a while yet, but let's hope when we do so that we are in the Championship - because judging by the players we have got in that is what we are aiming for this season.

I was very happy with the signings but I did have a bit of a sad moment, might never actually see 3 of these players in the flesh. At least the play off final (if we actually make it obviously) is on a weekend so you can actually get drunk celebrating/drowning your sorrows after this year, I just went straight to bed last year.

You say you’re most excited by Grayson, do you expect him to start games in the league if everyone’s fit? If so, in what position?
Just think adding someone with a quality left foot will be a strength to the team. It wouldn’t surprise me if he came in at LB...obviously Ruffels is on a decent run at the minute, but at some point we will have to rotate due to 20+ games in ~14 weeks.

I think long term we might be looking to upgrade LB. Again, not a slight on Ruffels but if we are looking to be ambitious and aggressive every position is under review.

Im happy with where the squad is now. Going into the window I would have been happy with a young CB - which we got. A winger - which we got. And once Obita was sold - LB cover - which we got. Lee was a cherry on top.

Not that I’m any authority on it, but the recruitment team is pretty underrated. The work that goes into even getting one player in is substantial.

Not that I’m any authority on it, but the recruitment team is pretty underrated. The work that goes into even getting one player in is substantial.
I don't doubt, I hazard a guess that they had more of a say on this window than they did in the summer. This window has been very successful (at least on the face of it).

I wonder if the Nicky Cadden link was genuine or not - would think the former as was reported by neutral sources + with his contract running out etc., hopefully will revisit in summer

Just think adding someone with a quality left foot will be a strength to the team. It wouldn’t surprise me if he came in at LB...obviously Ruffels is on a decent run at the minute, but at some point we will have to rotate due to 20+ games in ~14 weeks.

I think long term we might be looking to upgrade LB. Again, not a slight on Ruffels but if we are looking to be ambitious and aggressive every position is under review.

Im happy with where the squad is now. Going into the window I would have been happy with a young CB - which we got. A winger - which we got. And once Obita was sold - LB cover - which we got. Lee was a cherry on top.

I was just wondering if you had some inside info as most people on here seemed to see Grayson as a backup player and Brandon Barker as they ‘wow’ signing to be most excited about. Robinson in his interview said that Grayson would be mainly backup for Ruffels/Atkinson with the occasional few minutes in defensive central midfield.

I agree though, the squad is looking strong and competition for places is always good. Sam Long, Gorrin, maybe the two centre backs and Matty Taylor are the only players who could really be said to be comfortable in any way.

I don't doubt, I hazard a guess that they had more of a say on this window than they did in the summer. This window has been very successful (at least on the face of it).

I think they always have a strong input tbh. There’s just so many moving parts.

I’m not privy to how it works at ox but i suspect:

- KR outlines his style of play and type of player he wants in each position

- recruitment team use data to find those that fit the requirements (it’s pretty easy to find good players...but are they good for our team?)

- will feed back those they suggest before getting character references etc

-approach players club

- approach player/agent

Obviously a simplified version but easy to see where deals can fall apart. At many clubs the primary issue is those that have the influence/money actually listening to recommendations from analysts etc. It’s clear that we have a process that has been successful and lucrative...just need to continue and improve. I’m sure we already have an idea about who we want in the summer

I was just wondering if you had some inside info as most people on here seemed to see Grayson as a backup player and Brandon Barker as they ‘wow’ signing to be most excited about. Robinson in his interview said that Grayson would be mainly backup for Ruffels/Atkinson with the occasional few minutes in defensive central midfield.

I agree though, the squad is looking strong and competition for places is always good. Sam Long, Gorrin, maybe the two centre backs and Matty Taylor are the only players who could really be said to be comfortable in any way.
No inside info - just think he will be a good addition that covers something we don’t already have.

Im excited for Barker due to his ability in open spaces - counter attacking football/last 30mins is when I imagine he will come alive. Lee is very astute also. Overall really decent and exciting for the run in.

I think they always have a strong input tbh. There’s just so many moving parts.

I’m not privy to how it works at ox but i suspect:

- KR outlines his style of play and type of player he wants in each position

- recruitment team use data to find those that fit the requirements (it’s pretty easy to find good players...but are they good for our team?)

- will feed back those they suggest before getting character references etc

-approach players club

- approach player/agent

Obviously a simplified version but easy to see where deals can fall apart. At many clubs the primary issue is those that have the influence/money actually listening to recommendations from analysts etc. It’s clear that we have a process that has been successful and lucrative...just need to continue and improve. I’m sure we already have an idea about who we want in the summer
I wonder whether last years season curtailment and the subsequent lack of up to date data may have impacted our ability to recruit more effectively in the summer.

I wonder whether last years season curtailment and the subsequent lack of up to date data may have impacted our ability to recruit more effectively in the summer.
Plenty of data - just a whole load of uncertainty.

Brexit, covid and squad caps/wages all coming at once - packed schedules so teams don’t know which players they will require. Plus, scouts can’t get to games to watch the players live. Can watch just about anyone in the world...but no substitute for being at the game.

Teams just had to have a period to readjust. It’s been clear this window those teams that are working to a plan - and those which are reactive.

Errr.. Brannagan??

Totally agree Scotchers. That was one hell of a smokescreen! I’m delighted we were wrong following the business that has been done.

oneatds and upwards guys and girls. Let’s keep buying those Ifollow Match day passes and support the team all the way. COYY’s!
Don’t beat yourselves up too much. It is just as likely Holland was a target and then decided to stay ( for whatever reason). KR being shrewd makes a statement that he was never going to sign just to make our actual signings think they were the one all along.
But KR also said Lee was only on the table early Sunday am so maybe it was Holland but when Lee became available we switched it up.
either way I’m extremely excited by our business. Excellent work by the club.

I wonder if the Nicky Cadden link was genuine or not - would think the former as was reported by neutral sources + with his contract running out etc., hopefully will revisit in summer
But is Nicky Cadden championship material? 😊

Don’t beat yourselves up too much. It is just as likely Holland was a target and then decided to stay ( for whatever reason). KR being shrewd makes a statement that he was never going to sign just to make our actual signings think they were the one all along.
But KR also said Lee was only on the table early Sunday am so maybe it was Holland but when Lee became available we switched it up.
either way I’m extremely excited by our business. Excellent work by the club.
Presumably the deal would all have to be laid out and presented for all our serious targets, and they would be made to feel they were our number one even if we were really hoping to get someone else? What a lot of work, and diplomacy

Back
Top Bottom