Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

I'll start on the Ds then, see if I can create some more controversy by forgetting another Oxford legend!
(although in my defense, how would you go about deciding who was best between Joey Beauchamp and Gary Briggs? They're not exactly comparable players!!)

Best looks to me to be a straight shot between Johnny Lager and Rob Dickie.

As for worst, Ye Gods we've had some shite players beginning with the letter 'D'......Dempster, Deegan, O'Neill Donaldson, Mark Druce (and I'm not even getting into players who were roundly hated even if they had some talent, like Rob Duffy). But it's impossible to look past the one and only Emiliano Diaz. Zero footballing talent - 100% nepotism!

Donaldson wasn't bad at all. He linked up well with Francis and had an excellent game against Stockport in particular.

He made a poor decision to sign for Stoke and his career never recovered.

That 5-0 friendly result v rangers must have been a surprise then! How many Scottish games have you seen this season?
Not particularly? It’s a friendly. I think it’s fair to say that outside of Rangers and Celtic, there really isn’t the depth of quality that you see in England. Put us in the SPL and we’d be top 4.

Not particularly? It’s a friendly. I think it’s fair to say that outside of Rangers and Celtic, there really isn’t the depth of quality that you see in England. Put us in the SPL and we’d be top 4.

Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen are all bigger clubs than us, we are probably on a par with the Dundee clubs.

Would I, or many others, be interested if we played in the Scottish league though? I doubt it, the depth in England makes it interesting whatever level you play at, it’s a genuine accomplishment to get promoted and if you mess up you can plummet down the leagues, whereas Scottish football resembles Groundhog Day.

Quickly going back to ‘C’ and I put forward, Tony Capaldi.. dreadful.

On the ‘D’

Druce wasn’t that bad, remember him away at Bristol Rovers at Twerton Park and he was unplayable bagged a couple and hit the bar for a treble

I remember Druce being very good away at Sunderland as well.

Not watched any games to form a credible opinion then.

I'll start on the Ds then, see if I can create some more controversy by forgetting another Oxford legend!
(although in my defense, how would you go about deciding who was best between Joey Beauchamp and Gary Briggs? They're not exactly comparable players!!)

Best looks to me to be a straight shot between Johnny Lager and Rob Dickie.

As for worst, Ye Gods we've had some shite players beginning with the letter 'D'......Dempster, Deegan, O'Neill Donaldson, Mark Druce (and I'm not even getting into players who were roundly hated even if they had some talent, like Rob Duffy). But it's impossible to look past the one and only Emiliano Diaz. Zero footballing talent - 100% nepotism!

Definitely has to be Diaz.

Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen are all bigger clubs than us, we are probably on a par with the Dundee clubs.

Would I, or many others, be interested if we played in the Scottish league though? I doubt it, the depth in England makes it interesting whatever level you play at, it’s a genuine accomplishment to get promoted and if you mess up you can plummet down the leagues, whereas Scottish football resembles Groundhog Day.
Oh. I’m not comparing us to them, in terms of size. I’m saying that if we were to play in the SPL, we would be a top 4 team.

I absolutely would not be as interested if we played in the Scottish leagues because as you rightly said, progressing through the EFL is a big deal and one that’s not easily achieved. I would be bored stiff, being an Aberdeen fan. No chance of winning the league. No real chance of going down and even if they did, they’d go straight back up again.

Druce wasn’t that bad, remember him away at Bristol Rovers at Twerton Park and he was unplayable bagged a couple and hit the bar for a treble

Which was the same number of goals as he scored in his other 57 Oxford appearances put together!

I certainly acknowledge that I'm being unfair in mentioning him in the same breath as Emiliano Diaz......

......but Mark Druce was part of the squad when I first started going to games at the Manor, and it was never exciting to see him on the pitch, and I never once thought "Ah yes, Druce, that's who we need - he'll bag us a goal!".

Also wasn't helped by the fact that we had a bunch of truly excellent strikers coming and going around that same time.

G is a tough one. Using memory rather than searching online. Marco gabbiadini. Didnt we have a decent winger called graham? But i would go for gilchrist. Worst.hmm phil gray?

Back
Top Bottom