Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

I'll stick with Clare as he is our player, Cadden was only on loan so no profit to be made in improving him

Not at all saying Clare is as good as Cadden, but there were plenty of comments about Cadden being a defensive liability, as well as suggestions that he should play on the wing with Long at RB during his early days. If the mirroring continues, we'll have a good attacking RB in a month or two.

Cadden never looked half as vulnerable as Clare has, how much of that was due to the team around him is debatable but as Juniir says I think there’s a bit of revisionism going on here

There is definitely some spin going on here. Cadden did look a little shaky, sure it took him a couple of matches for him to find his feet. But with Clare, he looks like a fish out of water. Hes a talented footballer. Lots of good attributes. Defending is not and never will be one of them.

Interesting this attacking full back discussion.
The name of the game is to score more than the opposition, and when Cadden was a key attacking outlet down our right side (as was Baldock), I'm not sure they were always expected to defend like a conventional right back if we lost the ball. They were an outlet. In our system, Clare will be caught up field numerous times, but surely in that situation your defence has to morph in to a fluid system that includes various individuals. This may include the remaining back 3 plus a number of players who are not as far forward as your Caddens and Clares. The key is that your outlet must be producing good overload situations/goal assists on a regular basis. We aren't doing these things at present. We don't react quick enough when we lose the ball, and we aren't brave enough with it. like Skarz, Ruffels simply isn't mobile enough to provide us with overload opportunities down our left - meaning we are lopsided and predictable. Hopefully, Obita gives us mobility down the left flank so we can expose teams down both sides.

I don't know about rewriting history, I think some are too busy rewriting my post!!

I didn't say that Cadden wasn't great going forward. I didn't say that Clare has been anything other than disappointing to date.

However, comparing any player or any position to last season doesn't help when only Sam Long and Anthony Forde have come out of this season with much credit to date (and both are below were Dickie and Brannagan were last season).

Clare has been looking better in recent games (since we've had a settled centre back pairing and Gorrin has returned!!) and shouldn't be written off just yet.

Even you can’t twist reality enough to suggest that Sean Clare is a better right back than Chris Cadden, or that they way the two have played is anywhere near comparable.

If you could swap the two players tomorrow, would you?

I didn't say anything like what you've put in your first paragraph!

As for your second, I said that I'd swap Clare for Long (or Forde) right now to make us stronger at the back. And yes, I'd also swap him for Cadden. But the last option isn't possible right now.

Mark Wright and Keith Cassells moved to Southampton in March 1982 with Trevor Hebberd moving in the opposite direction.

Otherwise a good post!! 😉🤣
My memory ain't what it used to be (I'd totally forgotten Mark Wright's early career 10 games for us) but World Football stats shows Trevor Hebberd registered with Southampton up to June 1982 and registered with us from July 1982.

My memory ain't what it used to be (I'd totally forgotten Mark Wright's early career 10 games for us) but World Football stats shows Trevor Hebberd registered with Southampton up to June 1982 and registered with us from July 1982.

He definitely played at the end of the 81-82 season following his move.

20201115_191120.jpg

The name is Trevor Hebberd. He was definitely no Herbert...a shoe-in for any OUFC Best Ever X1.
He joined the club 6 months after Cassells left.
And who is "Wright" in this context?
Otherwise a good post ;)

Mmm. Sorry don't agree (even though my memory isn't great)
Hebberd replaced Cassells. Mark Wright also went and George Lawrence came on loan (later to sign permanently)

Trevor Hebberd scored our first goal in the Milk Cup Final, man of the match if i recall. Ray Houghton and Jeremy Charles got the other two.

Back
Top Bottom