Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

Yup. Another way in which things could get really messy.

I personally reckon there’s more chance of the season being declared void than being paused extensively. If the PL clubs vote to scrap their season next week then I think the EFL will adopt the same approach.
I would be surprised if they declared it as void so early.
Whichever decision they make (keep the teams the same next season, relegate those in the bottom 3) will be the subject of legal disputes.

I personally reckon there’s more chance of the season being declared void than being paused extensively. If the PL clubs vote to scrap their season next week then I think the EFL will adopt the same approach.
If we void the season, can we have Baptiste back please.

Season resumes in late June/July.
Transfer window put back to mid August.
21/22 season starts in October.
All dependent on “Corona” playing ball and entire squads remaining virus free.
Highly unlikely.
So decision in April to void the season.
Then tricky question of how and who comes up to replace Bury !

That’s a possibility but then will we get to have the same season as we are/were having

What league were Rot Weiss Erfurt in?
I went to Hertha last year for a game. Do you watch them.much?

Regionalliga, fourth division. But they were as high as the second in 2004. Badly, badly managed club who suffered through a necessary but grossly unplanned stadium redevelopment and already were wound up two seasons back. But a relatively big club in the former East Germany, twice East German champions and also played in Europe in the 90s.

I'm an Union follower over here, though I do go to Hertha a couple of times a season or so. They both used to be close when the wall was up, but the friendship has sadly lapsed in recent years.

I've seen it mentioned that the PL will increase to 22 teams from next year meaning that no teams will be relegated but Leeds and West Brom will be promoted. I would guess that other leagues would then following suit with Coventry and Rotherham being promoted into the Championship, Crewe, Swindon and Plymouth to move up to league 1 (to cover the lose of Bury) and Barrow coming up from the Conference to leave League 2 with 22 teams.

The only possible reason to moan would be Wycombe but they'd have to win their game in hand away at Coventry by 19 clear goals to better Rotherham so it would be as fair as it could reasonable be under these circumstances. The league cup would then be cancelled next season to allow time for fixtures to be shuffled about and allow for extra breaks in the season if necessary. The end of the 20/21 season would then see more relegations but still allow the promotions as before.

Not ideal, but certainly better than ideas of just leaving everything null and void. And as much as it would be gutting to miss out on any prospect of the playoffs, I think we have had a good run and would hopefully be in a good place to have another go next season.

I've seen it mentioned that the PL will increase to 22 teams from next year meaning that no teams will be relegated but Leeds and West Brom will be promoted. I would guess that other leagues would then following suit with Coventry and Rotherham being promoted into the Championship, Crewe, Swindon and Plymouth to move up to league 1 (to cover the lose of Bury) and Barrow coming up from the Conference to leave League 2 with 22 teams.

The only possible reason to moan would be Wycombe but they'd have to win their game in hand away at Coventry by 19 clear goals to better Rotherham so it would be as fair as it could reasonable be under these circumstances. The league cup would then be cancelled next season to allow time for fixtures to be shuffled about and allow for extra breaks in the season if necessary. The end of the 20/21 season would then see more relegations but still allow the promotions as before.

Not ideal, but certainly better than ideas of just leaving everything null and void. And as much as it would be gutting to miss out on any prospect of the playoffs, I think we have had a good run and would hopefully be in a good place to have another go next season.
Yeah I’d take that and it might get through without lawsuits from the likes of Villa

Yeah I’d take that and it might get through without lawsuits from the likes of Villa
It would reward the teams who have (generally) been the most successful and avoid all the legal bullshit that would come from teams at risk of relegation. The likes of Norwich, Barnsley, Bolton and Southend, and Stevenage who have all looked doomed would get a touch, but you would think that most would still be favourites to go down next season anyway.

But the most important thing is that it would allow the line to be drawn under this season as soon as possible so that everyone could move on.

Can't see that happening as how do they decide which teams qualify for champions league and europa. They will either void the season or continue the season when ever they can and have a shorter break between the season ending and new one starting.

Next season depending when it was to start they could always scrap the cups for that year so we can all catch up, or another possibility is to only play each team once, half away, half home in the league.

I will be seriously pissed of if it ends now and the top 2 go up out of league 1. I can see a few lawsuits coming from posh, Pompey, Sunderland etc

It would reward the teams who have (generally) been the most successful and avoid all the legal bullshit that would come from teams at risk of relegation. The likes of Norwich, Barnsley, Bolton and Southend, and Stevenage who have all looked doomed would get a touch, but you would think that most would still be favourites to go down next season anyway.

But the most important thing is that it would allow the line to be drawn under this season as soon as possible so that everyone could move on.
The ‘no relegation’ idea is a clever one that could get people onside

Can't see that happening as how do they decide which teams qualify for champions league and europa. They will either void the season or continue the season when ever they can and have a shorter break between the season ending and new one starting.

Next season depending when it was to start they could always scrap the cups for that year so we can all catch up, or another possibility is to only play each team once, half away, half home in the league.

I will be seriously pissed of if it ends now and the top 2 go up out of league 1. I can see a few lawsuits coming from posh, Pompey, Sunderland etc

The qualification for champions league and europa could be extended to include more teams from each league with greater numbers going into the qualifying rounds. As for lawsuits, this is an unpresidented position and it would be highly unlikely that courts would support any claims for something that may or may not have been.

There is no perfect solution, and even if all games were to resume in April there would be the argument that we were on a great run whilst Rotherham for example were slipping. The break could count against us and for other teams. Players who would have missed a number of games through injury could be back. Others could still be ill once everything starts again, or could pull a hamstring on the first game back after not being able to train to match intensity for weeks before. Whatever the outcome there will be those who gain and those who lose, but ultimately something has to give.

The season could be extended by 7 weeks without impacting on the contract situation.
I suppose there could be a possibility, in these exceptional circumstances, there would be agreement for contracts to be extended for a further 4 weeks.

Regionalliga, fourth division. But they were as high as the second in 2004. Badly, badly managed club who suffered through a necessary but grossly unplanned stadium redevelopment and already were wound up two seasons back. But a relatively big club in the former East Germany, twice East German champions and also played in Europe in the 90s.

I'm an Union follower over here, though I do go to Hertha a couple of times a season or so. They both used to be close when the wall was up, but the friendship has sadly lapsed in recent years.
Surely only Eintract Braunschweig are the team to be following over there ??

Surely only Eintract Braunschweig are the team to be following over there ??

I just looked them up, and they are in tier 3. Not long ago they were in the German top flight. In fact there are a few teams there, that were in the top flight not long ago. ie Kaiserslautern.

Ummm I think we’d have a possible reason to moan... as would anyone who had a good chance at the playoffs!

I don’t buy this ‘oh it’s unfair anyway due to the break, we could lose form’ - there’s a hell of a lot of difference between a few week break disrupting a team which was on form, and literally denying us a chance to go into the playoffs!

I just looked them up, and they are in tier 3. Not long ago they were in the German top flight. In fact there are a few teams there, that were in the top flight not long ago. ie Kaiserslautern.
Yellow and blue ....but still getting great crowds even in the third league. Started of well but fading before the shutdown ?

Back
Top Bottom