technical issue re using IFollow/yellow player

PQ

Have a variety of devices/operating systems on which to use iFollow sub (for audio as outside range of Radox FM.)
Due to v.poor internet from landline at home have been using an unlimited data sim from Three in a 4G router (Huawei B612) for about 18 months with no problems. I'm not too far from a mast but in a rural area so can only get band 20/800 Mhz) but this gives me a pretty rock solid 30mb+ download speed and 8 mb upload speed with very few outages or lower speeds.

I have recently started having problems with iFollow..and certain other things including getting links to work..from sites like Hot UK Deals (HUKD) for example. The "links" issue I get round by running a VPN.. a pain but no big deaL. After some hours messing round with various things I discovered that if I use my very limited (2gb a month) mobile phone data (Plusnet) I can access YP no problem on my iPhone (with the iFollow app). If I use the same phone as a hotspot then my PCs , laptops etc. can all use YP (webpage) to look at the videos the club makes.

If I pause a video that's playing using my (very limited) Plusnet data ..then switch the iPhone back to conecting to my 4G router..then I can resume that video..and look at a new one. After I while though I can get no more access until I reconnect using the "phone data" via the hotspot again. It doesnt matter if I connect my PCs by LAN cable or wi-fi..iFollow doesnt like it if coming from my 4G router.

So I wrote to iFollow..here's what they came back with today:
"Thank you for contacting iFollow Support.
Unfortunately you cannot watch iFollow matches with a 4G router. To proceed with watching games, you must use Plusnet mobile data as this is the only workaround.
If you require any further assistance, please let us know."

I'd thought it was something to do with Three (they're not everyone's favourite) but iFollows comments makes it sound like this would happen to other provider's sims too.

Anyone here had the same sort of issue or know why this should be the case..and/or know of a solution?
I'm happy with the Three data sim and that router, though a few years old now, is highly rated for my purpose. I can use netflix and Amazon Prime TV and My5 no problem. Sky Go (catch up only) can have issues and All4 (catchup) is often be unusable.

Thanks for reading..any comments? If nothing else someone else with my sort of setup may be interested in iFollows response to me.

Last edited:
This sounds very much like the usual activity by iFollow. I don't know why they are so restrictive. They informed me that it was not allowed to use the web connection on my smart tv to watch live games yet it is ok to connect my laptop via HDMI and watch the very same game. iFollow as an app does not have "cast" option and yet Youtube does and allows me to watch the OUFC channel.

I really have my doubts as to their technical abilities.

iFollow do not like VPN usage at all. If spotted you will be logged out. Also switching your main input e.g. Three to another (plusnet)will nearly always cause log out too. I've had that problem a few times.
Another think that happens is if I switch from my phone to a laptop (same provider) you also get logged out. iFollow are trying very hard to prevent sharing of an account, even if the IP is the same. Barstewards

Ive wondered ,often too, if the 'people' behind ifollow are decended from old time highwaymen like dick turpin , or more (oxon) local ish ones like highwayman hopcroft? ... as what ifollow 'offer' is often akin to daylight robbery!

Thanks all. Yes I agree iFollow are trying very hard to prevent sharing. I seem to remember not being able to access iFollow app on my iPhone with the Plusnet data..after a few minutes trying I checked and I was still logged in on my PC (after an unsuccessful attempt to watch a video about Cam B).
On the PC I had to switch out of the 4G router's wi-fi & use the Iphone's Plusnet data to link that PC to even be able to logout of iFollow!!..as the whole thing appeared "stuck". Once logged out of iFollow on the PC ..then my iPhone, using its Plusnet data allowance, opened and played the app and videos fine.

As I said I'd been blaming Three.. but seemingly this would have with any firm's data sim if the stream is coming direct from a dedicated 4G router..what a nonsense! (I havent tried the iphones Plusnet sim in the 4G router yet).

I think on PC and laptops if the initial "handshake"with iFollow is with a source they don't block (my iphone hotspotted data..either by wi-fi or iphone lightning cable).. THEN if the video is paused and the internet source is "flipped" to the 4G router it will continue playing. I just haven't ascertained yetd how long is the gapo between "handshakes" if that makes sense...but it isn't hours if left idle.

With more and more people switching to these unlimited data contracts for a variety of reasons, in my case p**s poor 1mb download speed from a long "copper" cable run to the exchange, I cannot see why iFollow would want to "discriminate" against 4G router connections/contracts unless it was to stop a shared connection between several households (given the truly unlimited data) ..maybe e.g. in a HMO (either by wi-fi or multiple LAN connections). However, this is just as easily done using a suitable router setup on a standard home broadband system using copper/fibre connectivity??

Weird..and a pain in the ass...thanks a bunch iFollow.

p.s. thanks Malc re the VPN info..I had realised they were sniffy about that and understand why I guess. I'd mentioned VPN only because the other isssue I seem to have had (again ony in the last few weeks or so) is links not working on several websies e.g HUKD..they start but time out after clicking on a link..I guess the "handshake" (if that's the term) doesnt work ..but if I use my standard paid-for VPN it's always fine. VPN doesn't work for iFollow though as you say.

Back
Top Bottom