Matches Swindon stories

wolvercoteyellow

I remember watching an international on TV with my 4 year old daughter, many years ago.
I explained to her, this was England vs Sweden.
After a little while she asked "Dad, why are we playing Sweden?".
I explained it was an international game, that our country England was playing against a different country, Sweden.
She wasn't convinced. "But why are we playing Sweden?".
I tried again to explain.
Short silence. "But Dad, we hate Sweden!
"What? "What do you mean we hate Sweden?"
"Yes, you always say we hate Sweden!".
After a few moments, the penny drops. Ahhh, you mean Swindon! We hate Swindon! Not Sweden!

I don`t know where to start.................... :ROFLMAO:

The milk float ambush....

Bouncing around the Town End.....

The gates at the end of the SB popping like a giant crisp packet under the pressure from behind .... cue chaos.

Or a few cheesed of folk walking out when we were losing (as was the norm) and finding an open door on the end of the Don Rogers stand and steaming up the steps at them!

Or one game at the Manor when it started raining bricks into the Cuckoo Lane.......

Another night game at the Manor when I ended up with 14 stiches to tie the knuckles back together...... never smack someone in the mouth who is much taller than you...

Real highlights..... Beano & Macguire........ and the one touch wonder that was Guy Whittingham.... I`m sure that was the only time he touched the ball for us! Came on loan, scored against them , got recalled!

The gates at the end of the SB popping like a giant crisp packet under the pressure from behind ....
I remember a crush at the side gates one year, think it was the 2-2 game when David Penney equalised for us with a bycicle kick late on, when the crush at the gates was so intense that I was lifted about a foot off the floor just through the pressure of the crowd trying to get out. The stewards had no choice but to open the gates.

My first away game (aged 11) was the U's first visit to the skip.....not missed a competitive home or away since (until- maybe-this saturday) ....adding to the memories raised by @Essexyellows @SteMerritt & @wolvercoteyellow (remember em all) .... the pre magic roundabout post match invasion of the huge roundabout outside the skip, by a couple of thousand of oxfords finest, after (as usual) taking the town end, and bringing traffic to a standstill, for 40 mins or so ( with' Knees up Mother Brown' belting out ) ....Joeys goal after 'coming home', in front of the Cuckoo lane & kissing the badge (which wound up the visiting inbreds as intended) .....Jefferson Louis swinging his tackle & swearing (on live tv) in the changing rooms after the 1-0 fa cup defeat of Scum , with the news it was Arsenal in the next round..... the ( very much missed) Ultras rolling out the robin impaled on the Ox's horn surfer flag in the East Stand pre a home league clash... Thefinal whistle, after making it 6 wins in a row ,and the spontaneous ' just like your fingers- 6 in a row' chant going up from all Oxford areas of the Breeze Block .....and... the origin of 'we'll be running round Swindon with our willys hanging out' song following an incident after a visit to the skip, which @amershamdave can best enlighten those who dont know already ;)

Last edited:
John Fahy playing up front for United in the early sixties but no luck at the County Ground on this occasion, nil nil if I remember rightly. 14 goals in 24 appearances was a pretty good return. Faded away fairly quickly and do not know how his professional career panned out.

The game when Swindon came steaming into ordinary folk leaving the ground, early is typical of Swindon. Victoria station can be fun mind you, when we bump into them....:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Swindon coming here with Di Canio, they cheated to get Beano sent off and we proceeded to show fight and spirit to beat them 2-0. Wilder wearing a yellow and blue scarf to mimic Di Canio, Swindon silent all game, Oxford boys in control of the atmosphere as per. Haven't seen us lose to the scummers in my lifetime.

Wasn't that the infamous smoke bomb game?
Ah , The smoke bomb from the town end at the start of the second half, with referee Eric Reid allowing the goal scum scored through the smoke to stand, then subsequently being felled in a hail of coins from the enraged Oxford fans in the front section of part of the Don' Rogers* stand ,next to the Stratton Bank, aforementioned enraged Oxford hordes( some of them) uprooted crash barriers and advertising hoardings, throwing them onto the pitch surround.... as per usual( after segregation came in) visiting Oxford support was locked in the Stratton Bank post match, which lasted 'not long' as the gates locking Oxford in were removed forcably

Last edited:
Ah , The smoke bomb from the town end at the start of the second half, with referee Eric Ried allowing the goal scum scored through the smoke to stand, then subsequently being felled in a hail of coins from the enraged Oxford fans in the front section of part of the Don' Rogers* stand ,next to the Stratton Bank, aforementioned enraged Oxford hordes( some of them) uprooted crash barriers and advertising hoardings, throwing them onto the pitch surround.... as per usual( after segregation came in) visiting Oxford support was locked in the Stratton Bank post match, which lasted 'not long' as the gates locking Oxford in were removed forcably
Was at this game too, what an evening that was!! Cannot remember what year it was, 1983, 1984?

Was at this game too, what an evening that was!! Cannot remember what year it was, 1983, 1984?
Jim Smiths first season/ part season in charge, think going into that game the U's were in with an outside chance of promotion ( which we won as champions the following season), that smoke bomb 'allowing' Scum to score ( and Reid allowing the goal to stand), in effect scuppered aspirations of promotion for that season ... ... it maybe been in '83 but Im not certain

Ah , The smoke bomb from the town end at the start of the second half, with referee Eric Ried allowing the goal scum scored through the smoke to stand, then subsequently being felled in a hail of coins from the enraged Oxford fans in the front section of part of the Don' Rogers* stand ,next to the Stratton Bank, aforementioned enraged Oxford hordes( some of them) uprooted crash barriers and advertising hoardings, throwing them onto the pitch surround.... as per usual( after segregation came in) visiting Oxford support was locked in the Stratton Bank post match, which lasted 'not long' as the gates locking Oxford in were removed forcably
Remember that game so well. The traffic going into scumland on the A420 was tailed back to the Shrivenham exit. Mayhem after the smoke bomb goal. Actually felt sorry for the old bill during that game especially when the concrete started to fly and the metal barrier's being ripped out of the terracing. That was a demolition derby!

OUFCX

It was 4th May 1982. I was too young to go but remember being delighted that the trouble made the News at Ten as the second item (because of the injury to the ref) after the sinking of HMS Sheffield in the Falklands earlier that day.

This video is from their local news.

2 that stand out for all the wrong reason, both early 70s .
Everyone on the train being searched by police 1 at a time & all sorts of things being dropped of the floor before hand. 2 Mini van full of us drive around Swindon shouting abuse at everyone we saw in a Swindon scarf, it was funny until we realised someone was shooting at us with an air gun.

Mother in law was born in Swindon, as she keeps reminding me. But you escaped I keep telling her. Lol

• React
Reactions: UTM
Back
Top Bottom