EFL Sustainability not philanthropy

MarkG

It's a start to be having this discussion, and I think salary caps and squad sizes need adding in to.
Will a more even distribution simply end up with player wages going up as there is more cash sloshing around?
Train set owners will still end up putting cash into their clubs to gain an uneven advantage.

It's a start to be having this discussion, and I think salary caps and squad sizes need adding in to.
Will a more even distribution simply end up with player wages going up as there is more cash sloshing around?
Train set owners will still end up putting cash into their clubs to gain an uneven advantage.
What about sustainability measures for the premier league? Maybe squad size and salary caps? It's a nonsense to make out that Burnley and Brighton are great significant clubs and Sunderland are little minnows who need to cut their cloth, when their position could well be reversed in a few years.

The moment the tv companies got involved the downward trend began. Everyone sat by paying their subscriptions to Sky and the like watching whilst the gap between the top and the rest got bigger and bigger.
The Domestic cup competitions mean zero to those in the top flight, Their European counterparts then set about creating a scenario whereby it matter not if you won the League as by finishing 4th you could now join the Gravy Train. A situation where when you finish some 30 pts behind you no longer have to be bothered even trying to close that gap as the Millions still enter your bank account.
imho the overhyped Transfer windows have added to this as it can bring a relaxed lazy approach to building a squad because you'll get another chance after xmas and then again the following summer. You no longer have to build a squad for the season you can just borrow 5 or 6 without even needing to care whether they can ever play for you long term.
Further down the pecking order The Play Offs hide a poor season in real terms and where previously you would need to address such things you can virtual tick along in the same gear with the 6th spot as your get out of jail card.
Clubs ending a season 20+ pts behind matters not anymore and rather that achieving something by actual being the best and winning a league you can get the same upturn by finishing 6th.

I like your analogy, but you mentioned Sunderland, a Division Three club 😁

I like your analogy, but you mentioned Sunderland, a Division Three club 😁
Well it's good fun to laugh about them but really any club in the bottom half of the premier league could find themselves swapping places with the likes of Middlesbrough, Cardiff, Ipswich and Sheff Wed fairly soon.

Back
Top Bottom