Chairman Support from the Board

Well yes. Except that the same recruitment process had in the summer identified Clare as a right back (he wasn't) - so that isn't exactly a ringing endorsement! ;)

But...

I don't think anyone would say anything other than it was an excellent transfer window for us. People were however pretty nervous because we've had some fairly poor transfer windows in the not too distant past - let's hope this one is the model for future windows.

Well yes. Except that the same recruitment process had in the summer identified Clare as a right back (he wasn't) - so that isn't exactly a ringing endorsement! ;)

But...

I don't think anyone would say anything other than it was an excellent transfer window for us. People were however pretty nervous because we've had some fairly poor transfer windows in the not too distant past - let's hope this one is the model for future windows.

When was the last poor transfer window?

Last summer would've been ok if it hadn't been for early injuries, Winnal taking until now to have any practical impact and the arrival/departure of Cooper. As it turned out, those factors and KR trying to convince everyone that Clare could play RB contributed to one of the poorest possible starts to a season.

As it was, the Summer business was not great. That is not to say the board didn't back the manager, but a combination of poor luck and judgement made it worse.

Last summer would've been ok if it hadn't been for early injuries, Winnal taking until now to have any practical impact and the arrival/departure of Cooper. As it turned out, those factors and KR trying to convince everyone that Clare could play RB contributed to one of the poorest possible starts to a season.

As it was, the Summer business was not great. That is not to say the board didn't back the manager, but a combination of poor luck and judgement made it worse.

I think there is a huge difference between doing good business, and footballing outcomes. Joel Cooper is a promising young player, on fairly low wages, who fits the transfer model that has been so successful in recent years. Unfortunately things haven't worked out due to circumstances out of our control.

Sam Winnall was always going to take a little time to get up to speed, but then had further injuries. If he is now fit and able to replicate his form against Wimbledon, then he can still have a huge impact on our season.

Sean Clare was a typical Robinson gamble. He wanted to create the next Chris Cadden, and with so few attacking right backs available, he looked to bring in a forward who could be turned in to a defender. This clearly didn't work, and I'm not sure that he'll ever play that role if he returns. It was definitely a risky buy, and has failed so far.

So, whilst the outcome on the pitch wasn't great, the recruitment process and business model remains pretty strong and will hopefully remain so in the future.

Winter 18/19 looking at TransferMarkt:

Smith
Kashi
Sinclair
Graham
Sykes

I think you could definitely say that other than Sykes it wasn’t great. If you remember this was the Jan window following the summer where we recruited the likes of Carruthers, Mackie Whyte, Holmes and McHanon. A mixed window too in my opinion. Great on paper but lingering injury issues didn’t help.

Winter 18/19 looking at TransferMarkt:

Smith
Kashi
Sinclair
Graham
Sykes

I think you could definitely say that other than Sykes it wasn’t great. If you remember this was the Jan window following the summer where we recruited the likes of Carruthers, Mackie Whyte, Holmes and McHanon. A mixed window too in my opinion. Great on paper but lingering injury issues didn’t help.
I would argue that that window was the window that saved us after a poor summer window! Kashi was a revelation and Graham and Sinclair definitely played their part in us consolidating and ultimately avoiding relegation. I think Smith was the summer, too? Going into the season with him, Obika and Mackie as our strikeforce was in retrospect a huge error of judgment.

Smith was January deadline day last minute and after we were let down by another target. Can’t remember who mine. The other players on that list certainly played their part and we would have kept on Kashi and Graham and maybe even Sinclair if terms / circumstances were better.

Smith was January deadline day last minute and after we were let down by another target. Can’t remember who mine. The other players on that list certainly played their part and we would have kept on Kashi and Graham and maybe even Sinclair if terms / circumstances were better.
It's weird that this is such a prevailing mis-memory. He was signed in July! The only goals he scored for us were in the EFL Trophy matches against the likes of Fulham's kids.

Sinclair's a weird one. Looked pretty useful for us, and one of those I think we were in for but, being in a Premiership academy, obviously felt he was above us. But we're the only club it seems like he's really performed at - he failed to score in twenty four appearances for VVV Venlo in the Netherlands last year!

It's weird that this is such a prevailing mis-memory. He was signed in July! The only goals he scored for us were in the EFL Trophy matches against the likes of Fulham's kids.

Sinclair's a weird one. Looked pretty useful for us, and one of those I think we were in for but, being in a Premiership academy, obviously felt he was above us. But we're the only club it seems like he's really performed at - he failed to score in twenty four appearances for VVV Venlo in the Netherlands last year!

Think you're talking about different Smiths!

Sam Smith was a summer signing.
Jonte Smith was a Jan deadline day (announced morning after) signing.

Think you're talking about different Smiths!

Sam Smith was a summer signing.
Jonte Smith was a Jan deadline day (announced morning after) signing.
Oh s**t fair enough! Completely forgot about Jonte. What a weird signing that was.

Oh s**t fair enough! Completely forgot about Jonte. What a weird signing that was.

Ha!

I was on your side until someone mentioned Jonte. Are we sure he was real?

Maybe we can also have a little patience and trust in the recruitment process.

Sean Clare was absolutely slatted for 3 months, had a couple of decent cameos further forward, but suddenly became Ronaldo when he went out on loan! Equally, Jordan Obita was good, but had slipped behind Shodipo in the starting line up. But then he's sold for more than be paid for Luke McNally, and the club is skint with no ambition!!

But it's not just this window. There were those questioning the signing of Marcus McGuane early on, and those saying that Rob Atkinson wasn't ready, or calling Mide Shodipo the QPR turd!!

This window has been the start of many where there will need some juggling to balance numbers and budgets, and this may mean that we lose players before others come in. But if you include the January 2018 window where Tiger funded Brannagan and Dickie coming in, there have been far more successes than failures with our recruitment.

But, of course, this will all be forgotten by the summer when the insanity starts again!!
I think some of the criticism has been just this season, but equally the players are taking the plaudits now.
Its brilliant that we have achieved this once in a generation run of results but lets all be honest....that start to the season was a bloody train wreck, and more often than not a start like we had this season will prove very costly.

In the 5 minute fans forum tonight the touched upon investors/board members in Singapore and Vietnam but it didn't go into detail as to who they are, what they do and their level of investment - does anyone know this?

Either no one wanted to answer my question or no one knows who these mystery backers are which personally I find concerning. Does anyone from OxVox know?

I don't think anyone knows.

It is unfortunate that while the owners of clubs have to pass a fit and proper persons test (even if the application of that test is spotty at best) but then there seems to be little or no scrutiny of where the money comes that backs them. And since that's the case, there is never very much disclosure so supporters don't know where the money is coming from.

Whether we'd be informed enough to know whether Mr X from Singapore or Mr Z from Vietnam is a reputable source of funds is another matter of course.

I don't think anyone knows.
A few do.

Myles used to be quite good at digging up this sort of information, but he only ever got battered for it. People always want to know the ‘secrets’, but if they don’t like what they’re told then they usually start attacking the person who put it out there. Either they have an agenda and are making it up or they shouldn’t be putting confidential things on a public forum, despite people asking for that exact thing to happen.

Catch 22. Nothing of concern I would say.

A few do.

Myles used to be quite good at digging up this sort of information, but he only ever got battered for it. People always want to know the ‘secrets’, but if they don’t like what they’re told then they usually start attacking the person who put it out there. Either they have an agenda and are making it up or they shouldn’t be putting confidential things on a public forum, despite people asking for that exact thing to happen.

Catch 22. Nothing of concern I would say.
Was Myles driven out? I remember him posting some incredibly interesting stuff which caused a ruckus on here. Obviously I don’t know how reliable it was

I agree Myles was quite good at turning up info, though when active here on YF he did have a tendency to pick rows with almost anyone and everyone, ....and often seemed to take being asked questions , some quite legit to ask too imo, as some kind of personal attack .... he didn't have 'much time' (!) for OxVox/ OxVox elected persons, (despite several OxVox elections taking place, with changes in personnel having taken place ) either if memory serves?

Wasnt Myles one of Charlie Methanes acolytes too ?

I’d say he was driven out by incessant questioning of details he shared that people then didn’t understand or couldn’t be arsed to verify. His work was fantastic and he was initially quite patient until he got buffeted with repeat questions on matters he’d already answered.

I believe his frustration with Oxvox at the time was that they were too close to the board and that they should have been challenging some of this stuff. I don’t have an opinion on that.

Im not sure why who he is friends or not eith would be relevant to this either Sarge. I remember him having some big arguments online with Charlie

Back
Top Bottom