Stan Masters

Gold and Black

It’s my dad Stan Masters funeral is tomorrow. I realise in these troubled times and lack of people attending, the tributes he deserved won’t be heard. I know the clubs tribute would of been in the program when we played M.K. Dons, a video message from Karl Robinson was to be played at his funeral. In the early 1920’s as a Headington boy he hung about the area known as the paddock he helped getting the teas and getting the horse(s) of the pitch. His uncle Fred Taylor played for the club around 1897/98, and I still have the medal he won when playing for club ( the first medals Headington had ever won). Stans father Ernest Masters, captained the team in 1921. Ernest became the clubs cheerleader when he finished playing. Stan attended ( all ) home games from about 1924 until 2015, but had a break in the war years when he was in the R.A.F. For 6 years. After the War the club was growing and turning professional, he helped with the labouring work on the old dressing room stand and also helped to lay the Osler Road terrace all after a hard days work. He was an original shareholder of the club. He was what was called an Agent and collected a shilling a week of over a hundred people,to fund raise. He was a printer and the club said wherever he worked the programme would follow and it did. His passion was passed to his sons, grandchildren and great children with Mac Masters playing in the acedemy squad no.66. Let’s hope the circle is joined. Dad you gave me Oxford Utd, it’s in my bones it’s everywhere its so important to our family

Last edited:
RIP. Really feel for you and your family, as if it wasn't a tough time as it is, you have all of this madness making it worse ?

I hope you manage to organise a proper tribute when all of this is over. Best wishes for tomorrow.

A wonderful story. You should be proud and you have my sincere condolences. Take care.

He sounds like the sort of person our club was built on in years gone by, and we wouldn't be where we are today without people like him.

I hope the funeral goes as well as is possible in these unusual times. I went to the funeral of my auntie last Wednesday, and there weren't as many people there as there would be under "normal" circumstances. But it didn't lessen the sense of loss, nor the memory of her life that we all felt. I'm afraid the grief was just as raw as it would be if there had been a thousand people there. Get through the day as well as you can, and try to be grateful for his life, not sorry for his death. Easier said than done, I know.

I hope, if you read this, that it might help in some small minuscule way. RIP Stan.

I hope the funeral went as well as could be expected for you and your family,especially in these veryuncertain times.

People like you dad literally laid the foundations for the club we all follow today, and that is a fine legacy in itself.

RIP Stan.

Back
Top Bottom