National News Sir Keir Starmer

Oh, because MPs being a local resident is good! Many always voted with the government irrespective of local interest.
I didn't suggest that it was... What I asked was 'how do people vote out a specific MP in a PR system'

Oh, because MPs being a local resident is good! Many always voted with the government irrespective of local interest.
former Oxford East (Labour) MP Andrew Smith was an excellent constituency MP , so much so that even some (usually) Tory voters gave him their support at the ballot box in (some) GE's ..... if memory serves, last time he stood ( and was re-elected) as MP his campaign slogan was the simple, yet true statement (along the lines of) Everybody knows somebody who has been helped by Andrew Smith

On the subject of PR , one application of a form of PR, suggested some years ago now, would be to tweak/ slightly increase constituency sizes in each county, so each constituency retained its 'own' MP , with the retweak providing a PR element that would result in 'electing' a County MP (or two)

I think, although discussed at length it was overwhelmingly rejected as a viable or workable option, - probably by a majority of mainly Tory MPs sat in 'safe' 'shire seats wanting to retain the status quo?

former Oxford East (Labour) MP Andrew Smith was an excellent constituency MP , so much so that even some (usually) Tory voters gave him their support at the ballot box in (some) GE's ..... if memory serves, last time he stood ( and was re-elected) as MP his campaign slogan was the simple, yet true statement (along the lines of) Everybody knows somebody who has been helped by Andrew Smith

On the subject of PR , one application of a form of PR, suggested some years ago now, would be to tweak/ slightly increase constituency sizes in each county, so each constituency retained its 'own' MP , with the retweak providing a PR element that would result in 'electing' a County MP (or two)

I think, although discussed at length it was overwhelmingly rejected as a viable or workable option, - probably by a majority of mainly Tory MPs sat in 'safe' 'shire seats wanting to retain the status quo?
Yes sorry if I implied this of all MPs. I was thinking of the likes of Courts and Howell.

Andrew Smith earned support from across the political spectrum for his good work for Oxford.

It's a pity it was his vote that allowed Corbyn in the Labour leadership race. I hope he acknowledges this was a catastrophic error of judgement.

Local resident MP`s???

We`ve got one who is part-time and a councillor as well..............in Islington!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Andrew Smith was a decent, local MP and former neighbour.
Done plenty of good work for his constituents and understood the diversity of the City.
If only there were more of that ilk.
He even got my vote a couple of times.

I came up with a system that partly tackled these issues and also allowed an element of local responsibility that the pure system wouldn't.

If you group the current 650 constituencies into groups of five then you have 130 zones returning 5 MP s based on the proportion of the combined vote in that zone. In this way a party (or independent) only needs to secure 20% of the vote to get a seat.

In addition, voters also get to rank the nominees from (just) the party they voted for, with the most popular among voters getting elected as opposed to the order the party wanted.

With five MPs per area, people will generally have at least one of their own political leanings and/or known reputation for fighting for their constituents to go to with any issues rather than potentially being stuck with someone who doesn't represent their views and/or care.

We shall wait for the powers that be to read and absorb this solution.
Yellowsforum solving the worlds problems one step at a time!
:D (y)

The wilderness years coming because Labour have questioned the suitability of candidates in a mayor election in a notoriously militant provincial city?.....whatever.[emoji849]

Liverpool now talking about getting rid of the position of Mayor completely.

The wilderness years coming because Labour have questioned the suitability of candidates in a mayor election in a notoriously militant provincial city?.....whatever.[emoji849]

Liverpool now talking about getting rid of the position of Mayor completely.

Some good might come of it then. :)

Hope Leicester do the same....... another useless Labour mayor who exceeds at failure and blames the Government by default.

Keir says vote for a Labour local council and give the NHS a pay rise.
I`m not sure he really knows how it works....... :ROFLMAO:
Unpaid hours are given back as TOIL if they are claimed, however most Trusts were paying folk for OT.... and they are not mandatory..... I probably do about 3 or 4 a week for my own benefit as I hate leaving things not completed.

Keir says vote for a Labour local council and give the NHS a pay rise.
I`m not sure he really knows how it works....... :ROFLMAO:
Unpaid hours are given back as TOIL if they are claimed, however most Trusts were paying folk for OT.... and they are not mandatory..... I probably do about 3 or 4 a week for my own benefit as I hate leaving things not completed.

They could give NHS staff access to free parking, it would be a pay rise in Oxford. :)

• React
Reactions: m
We`ve had free staff parking for a year........ and free lunches for those on site, and free Amazon gift boxes....... sorry Kier.

We`ve had free staff parking for a year........ and free lunches for those on site, and free Amazon gift boxes....... sorry Kier.
I thought the various health authorities were saying they can’t implement free parking for staff, sorry if I’m wrong I must have missed something.

I see the Welsh are paying a one off amount to their NHS staff of £500.
An enquiry into why we are not doing the same should be launched.
I would have thought that the nurse in England should be as valued here as they apparently are in Wales.
BJ more than anyone should appreciate that NHS staff have gone above and beyond their normal remit

So there is going to be a by-election in Hartlepool because the standing Labour MP Mike Hill has resigned due to allegations of sexual harassment.
The Labour Party have drawn up a shortlist of one (white male) to stand for election.
Labour are the only party to have won Hartlepool since it became a seat.
Hartlepool voted leave with a 70/30 majority.
The labour candidate is Paul Williams, a staunch remainer who wants a second referendum.
What could possibly go wrong?

I thought the various health authorities were saying they can’t implement free parking for staff, sorry if I’m wrong I must have missed something.

Each Trust manages their own parking via parking service providers, the staff normally pay based on a % of their salary, more you earn, more you pay.
Staff parking fee`s pay for the management of the parking and subsidised (free!) buses running between the three sites.
We also rent parking spaces from NCP, Leicester Tigers & Leicester City who all waived any rental fees for the year.
Other large establishments like De Montfort Uni also offered free parking for staff.
There is talk it will all end by the end of April and return to normal.

Back
Top Bottom