Ex Player Sam Winnall

Winnall, Hall, Hanson, Napa and Kelly to make way simply for fit players that actually potentially stay on the pitch for 90 mins, and remain injury free. Also Mous to retire to coach.

Winnall, Hall, Hanson, Napa and Kelly to make way simply for fit players that actually potentially stay on the pitch for 90 mins, and remain injury free. Also Mous to retire to coach.
Yeah that’s not happening. And we know you hate local players

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but what has happened to Sam Lose - All? Is he still knackered?

Last edited:
Am I the only one not convinced by Sam Winnall?

His stats, on paper, are broadly similar to Matty Taylor - 0.35 goals per game across his career compared to Taylor's 0.33, albeit at a higher level. However, when you look at appearances at just a League One level you see that Taylor has scored 8 more goals in 6 less appearances...

And forgetting stats, just going by the eye, I don't see what Winnall has to offer, admittedly only in a few short cameos. He doesn't seem especially quick, strong or good on the ball. He's not tall. Maybe he's a good finisher but I haven't yet seen him make the sort of intelligent runs Taylor does. This is a player who's only twice got anywhere near twenty goals in a season, once in League Two and once in League One - both 6-8 YEARS ago.

If we didn't have Taylor (or, God forbid, he gets injured) then maybe Sam Winnall would be a decent, hard-working replacement, but I know if I was a central defender facing Oxford with 20-25 mins to go, I'd much rather look up and see Winnall coming on rather than Dan Agyei...

Taylor and Winnall are very similar players, both in appearance and style. Both around 5'10, neither particularly fast but intelligent players who can make the right run at the right time. Taylor showed on Saturday that by making the right run and occupying the defenders that space is created around him (Shodipo's second and goal line miss, and Ruffels second). Winnall will play in a similar way, and may not score every game but will create space for others.

Once fully fit and up to speed I think we'll see a very decent player in Winnall, and being able to have him and Taylor playing 60/30 minutes each will be a huge boost going into a busy second half of the season.

His stats, on paper, are broadly similar to Matty Taylor - 0.35 goals per game across his career compared to Taylor's 0.33, albeit at a higher level. However, when you look at appearances at just a League One level you see that Taylor has scored 8 more goals in 6 less appearances...

And forgetting stats, just going by the eye, I don't see what Winnall has to offer, admittedly only in a few short cameos. He doesn't seem especially quick, strong or good on the ball. He's not tall. Maybe he's a good finisher but I haven't yet seen him make the sort of intelligent runs Taylor does. This is a player who's only twice got anywhere near twenty goals in a season, once in League Two and once in League One - both 6-8 YEARS ago.

If we didn't have Taylor (or, God forbid, he gets injured) then maybe Sam Winnall would be a decent, hard-working replacement, but I know if I was a central defender facing Oxford with 20-25 mins to go, I'd much rather look up and see Winnall coming on rather than Dan Agyei...
Think he’s so woefully unfit and lacking match sharpness that we won’t really see what he’s about for a while yet. It’s really important that he actually gets going again and doesn’t just turn into another Will Hoskins. Or a George Thorne, although we were told in no uncertain terms that he was fundamentally broken and finished, but signed him and kept trying to play him anyway. I don’t think this is like that, and he should be able to actually get fit. At least in theory.

Apparently he’s a good character - a talker and someone who likes to speak up - which I think we really need.

I remember seeing him play against us for Barnsley.
He looked a terrific player.
At the moment he is clearly not fit nor match fit. So its hardly surprising that he doesn't look good yet.
I suspect that it will take a few weeks before he looks sharp. He can be judged properly once fit.

I hope that he lives up to the expectations when fit, because he looked a looooooooooonnnnnnnnggggg way off "match sharp" at Burton.

Give the guy a chance! I won;t be judging him until he's had ample game time (5-6 starts). He's really not played alot of football in the last few years, and needs to be given time. He was always a gamble, and someone that we needed to be patient with. If he was fit prior to joining then I don;t think we would have been able to get him in the first place.

Give the guy a chance! I won;t be judging him until he's had ample game time (5-6 starts). He's really not played alot of football in the last few years, and needs to be given time. He was always a gamble, and someone that we needed to be patient with. If he was fit prior to joining then I don;t think we would have been able to get him in the first place.
I don't disagree, but our team seemed to start the season like this. Now that we seem to have got some pace going we have to be careful about introducing non-fit players. Sure - at 5-1 up is probably the ideal time and I'm not complaining. Hopefully SW will catch up the pace and be the 20-goal-a-season-guy for the final 15 games.

You can't judge a player who has been injured and hasn't got up to match fitness or sharpness since he signed. Certainly you can judge his injury record but as a player, give him a chance first!

I don't disagree, but our team seemed to start the season like this. Now that we seem to have got some pace going we have to be careful about introducing non-fit players. Sure - at 5-1 up is probably the ideal time and I'm not complaining. Hopefully SW will catch up the pace and be the 20-goal-a-season-guy for the final 15 games.

You're right. We definitely have to be careful. But we also have to do it...especially when we have a potential asset like Winnall up our sleeves. It makes it all the more frustrating that we now have to wait 2 weeks for another game. I assume Winnall would have stood a chance of starting against Cambridge...but now maybe not.

You're right. We definitely have to be careful. But we also have to do it...especially when we have a potential asset like Winnall up our sleeves. It makes it all the more frustrating that we now have to wait 2 weeks for another game. I assume Winnall would have stood a chance of starting against Cambridge...but now maybe not.
Yep. Agreed - just haven't noticed him before. If we were 2-1 down against Pompey, I'd be playing Agyei rather than Winnall despite a lot of reservations.

Could the problem regarding match fitness have anything to do with not running a reserve team. Nothing like having a competitive match. If memory serves me right we had a Metropolitan League in the late sixties and attendances were very impressive. Averaging 3000 per game and playing Tottenham Reserves for top spot I think 5500 were at the Manor. Seems hard to believe....perhaps my memory is playing tricks. Often playing two games a week at the Manor took a terrible toll on the pitch. I imagine the same would be the case at the Kassam.

Could the problem regarding match fitness have anything to do with not running a reserve team. Nothing like having a competitive match. If memory serves me right we had a Metropolitan League in the late sixties and attendances were very impressive. Averaging 3000 per game and playing Tottenham Reserves for top spot I think 5500 were at the Manor. Seems hard to believe....perhaps my memory is playing tricks. Often playing two games a week at the Manor took a terrible toll on the pitch. I imagine the same would be the case at the Kassam.
Agee re OUFC not having a 'reserves' side @windmill

St holders back in the Manor days could watch combination games for free as part of the ST
Going back even further, and memory is hazy on this, weren't Combination games at one stage free admission?

recent-ishly there was the dev squad/U23s , played (cup games?) at Thame Utds ground- think a few overage players coming back to fitness were 'allowed' to play in those matches

KR at a Fans Forum ( the one at the Training ground, broadcast on Radox and online OWS and FB if memory serves ?- with about 25 fans there live) said he preferred not to enter U23/ dev squad in a league as it was better to be able to arrange games when it suited ( or words along those lines)

Agee re OUFC not having a 'reserves' side @windmill

St holders back in the Manor days could watch combination games for free as part of the ST
Going back even further, and memory is hazy on this, weren't Combination games at one stage free admission?

recent-ishly there was the dev squad/U23s , played (cup games?) at Thame Utds ground- think a few overage players coming back to fitness were 'allowed' to play in those matches

KR at a Fans Forum ( the one at the Training ground, broadcast on Radox and online OWS and FB if memory serves ?- with about 25 fans there live) said he preferred not to enter U23/ dev squad in a league as it was better to be able to arrange games when it suited ( or words along those lines)
Given that other local (ish) sides must have a similar problem, I always wonder why (for example) we, Northampton and MK don't get together and arrange a series of 'second team friendlies' throughout the season. No crowds, held at training grounds, allow dates to be fluid to cater for cup games etc or bouts of sickness/injury. Let's say each team played each other twice at home and twice away - that is eight games each spread out throughout the season, so about one a month. It wouldn't be a financial burden (each team can just drive there, no staying required), and probably enough to add a bit of match fitness to the training (which it could replace just one day a month).

It seems too obvious, so presumably there is some reason we don't do such a thing?

Back
Top Bottom