Sam Long

Underrated/dismissed by many as a youngster but eventually matured into a decent player

Just for information - Ricketts made 45 league apps for Oxford with 1 goal // prior to this season Long had made 18 apps, also with 1 goal
That surprises me. I remember seeing Ricketts first start under Adkins in the last game of a season. He looked very good but I don't think that Adkins played him again.
Part of the reason Long hasn't started many has been his injuries. He started against Sheffield Wednesday in a League Cup game a few seasons ago and was playing well but went off with a nasty injury.
I am not sure that he has been under rated. Just he hasn't played that often

That surprises me. I remember seeing Ricketts first start under Adkins in the last game of a season. He looked very good but I don't think that Adkins played him again.
Part of the reason Long hasn't started many has been his injuries. He started against Sheffield Wednesday in a League Cup game a few seasons ago and was playing well but went off with a nasty injury.
I am not sure that he has been under rated. Just he hasn't played that often

Atkins hated youth tbh, Ricketts was one of a few that didn’t get a look in! He also left Whitehead out at the end of season that possibly cost us a play off place at least.

Atkins hated youth tbh, Ricketts was one of a few that didn’t get a look in! He also left Whitehead out at the end of season that possibly cost us a play off place at least.

Didn't he release Simon King as well who went on to have a good career?

Fair play to Long. I never really thought he looked good enough in bygone seasons when he’d make his handful of appearances, but he’s really helped shore things up lately. Needs to finish the season strongly and prove that he can stay fit as well - far too many injuries in the past.

He's always had a bit about him. Can become a major contributor to our club's success.

I hope he finishes the season on a high and is here long after the fool who is paid to manage the team. Who will drag our club down.

My son was in the academy at the same time as Sam so I've always been interested in his progress. My son reckons Sam was by far the most 'technically' advanced player for his age and was the boss in training! Back then he was a CB who loved bringing the ball out and I can't remember him wasting possession. He still needs to improve as a full back but I really hope he can progress and just as important, stay fit!

so did I.... perhaps Sam Longs OUFC longest serving player tag includes pre youth team/ U18s time on OUFC books ?
Just found out(through Wikipedia) that Long came on in April 2013 to make his debut, Ruffs signed in the summer of 13 lol

Just found out(through Wikipedia) that Long came on in April 2013 to make his debut, Ruffs signed in the summer of 13 lol
as the time honoured old adage goes, just is enough and enough is plenty ;)

only a mere few months in it between Sam Long & Josh Ruffles as OUFCs longest serving player then

My son was in the academy at the same time as Sam so I've always been interested in his progress. My son reckons Sam was by far the most 'technically' advanced player for his age and was the boss in training! Back then he was a CB who loved bringing the ball out and I can't remember him wasting possession. He still needs to improve as a full back but I really hope he can progress and just as important, stay fit!
I admit Ive also had an interest in Sam Long's progression at OUFC.... my youngest daughter used to babysit him, (when she lived in Bicester),before he joined OUFC at kids level (I think!) .... besides I m one of those OUFC supporters who likes to see local lads come through the ranks to the first team

I admit Ive also had an interest in Sam Long's progression at OUFC.... my youngest daughter used to babysit him, (when she lived in Bicester),before he joined OUFC at kids level (I think!) .... besides I m one of those OUFC supporters who likes to see local lads come through the ranks to the first team

One of the few. The vast majority of us would prefer to see a team of Tiendalli and Mehmeti types ?

One of the few. The vast majority of us would prefer to see a team of Tiendalli and Mehmeti types ?
Mmm. I suspect that all oufc supporters would prefer to see a team of local lads. But if they are good enough.
The good news is that there appear to be lots of young players coming through who may be good enough.

Back
Top Bottom