Salary cap confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not against the theoretical principle of the salary cap itself (ie trying to avoid the boom or bust policy that many chairmen have used, abused and then ducked out of over the years) , if it were to be applied in some balanced way across the divisions, but I do not like the squad number limit concept as that fundamentally goes against so many aspects of good practice.
- bringing own players through (only to be forcibly jettisoned if they are not the finished article at 21)
- developing players as per the U23 concept that was promoted only recently
- forcibly leaving contracted players unable to play in league games (eg Osei yaw)
- having to run with less than one player cover for every position and/or potentially exposing youngsters before they are ready

If all parties could sit down and come up with a balanced workable solution on the salary side of things then great, but the rushed fag packet way this was introduced was never going to work

If they overturn the wage cap then the PFA/EFL have to be more stricter with the FFP, not just a fine if it’s breached but points deduction as well. Also if any club tries to cover up in any form to hide the breach should also warrant a much stricter penalty.

Now comfirmed

If all parties could sit down and come up with a balanced workable solution on the salary side of things then great, but the rushed fag packet way this was introduced was never going to work

Think you make some great points + I agree with the overall argument. The whole thing just seemed so rushed and forced, thought in fairness to the EFL it was the clubs which (for some reason!) voted it in. Clearly stricter guidelines are needed to avoid more Bury/Wigan/etc. scenarios but this was definitely not the way to go about it.

Link to EFL statement. They seem to have trouble writing anything simple while they're trying to avoid admitting they fucked up but

"The EFL and PFA then agreed to refer that matter to arbitration and after hearing submissions from both parties, an independent panel concluded that the EFL was in breach of its agreement as a member of the PFNCC.

At the time of the adoption of the Salary Cap Rules, the EFL included a provision to ensure that any decision such as this would have the effect of reinstating the SCMP rules that were in operation during season 2019/20, which links player related expenditure to turnover."

Suggests to me that the arbitration was binding and, owing to the great foresight of the EFL in having a fall-back clause, we go back to the 2019/20 rules.

Was the player number cap part of the salary cap? I mean, does that now disappear? I hope so, that in particular was an iniquitous incursion on clubs' and players' right.

Link to EFL statement. They seem to have trouble writing anything simple while they're trying to avoid admitting they fucked up but

"The EFL and PFA then agreed to refer that matter to arbitration and after hearing submissions from both parties, an independent panel concluded that the EFL was in breach of its agreement as a member of the PFNCC.

At the time of the adoption of the Salary Cap Rules, the EFL included a provision to ensure that any decision such as this would have the effect of reinstating the SCMP rules that were in operation during season 2019/20, which links player related expenditure to turnover."

Suggests to me that the arbitration was binding and, owing to the great foresight of the EFL in having a fall-back clause, we go back to the 2019/20 rules.

Was the player number cap part of the salary cap? I mean, does that now disappear? I hope so, that in particular was an iniquitous incursion on clubs' and players' right.
That is fantastic news.

Gah, if we’d known we could have signed Will Grigg!!!!!

Yes the squad limit is gone as well according to the following article:

Also from that article is this statement:

Clubs understand the PFA’s reluctance to adopt a “hard” salary cap but believe there is an urgent need for restrictive measures during the coronavirus crisis. “Some clubs really are on the brink,” said one League One chairman. “We are at a crucial point. Having some sort of salary cost management and control was a way of alleviating pressure somewhat.”

Clubs can actually choose not to spend money, after all that is exactly what Rochdale did by not offering new contracts to all their high earning, out of contract players, in the summer including key players like Ian Henderson and Callum Camps.

Now withdrawn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom