Salary cap confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wages would have to drop astronomically to account for the fact that TV and sponsorship revenue would be way down and there was no Premier League pot of gold for teams to chase........but we'd have a league and a game that was much more similar to the football of the 90s that I grew up with. Just without the Manchester & North London clubs, Chelsea & Liverpool. Quality would probably drop, because all the best players would end up in the Superleague, but that's a compromise that I'd accept.
This bit sort of sounds like Brexit.

Last edited:
They should try it in Scotland first - stick the old firm in aleague with the top couple of teams in Holland, Belgium and a couple of other places, then see how the SPL copes without them

People forget that the head of the EFL is Rick Parry. And who is he again? Ah, yes, the original founding CEO of the Premier League.

Who would have thought that when Rick Parry - the former chief executive of Liverpool, and the first CEO of the Premier League - took control of the EFL he would be central to shifting more power to the Premier League and the biggest clubs, and diluting the EFL product.

The fact there is no salary cap in the championship already shows that the start of premier league 2 has began.
Get on with it, let them argue about what’s what and let league 1 and 2 be managed as a separate organisation.
Sort out our own TV deal with BT just like the national league have.

If clubs like Huddersfield and Preston are happy to sell their soul to the money men then let them.

The fact there is no salary cap in the championship already shows that the start of premier league 2 has began.
Get on with it, let them argue about what’s what and let league 1 and 2 be managed as a separate organisation.
Sort out our own TV deal with BT just like the national league have.

If clubs like Huddersfield and Preston are happy to sell their soul to the money men then let them.

I think it is more that the other PL clubs don't want to play Burnley anymore. :)

The problem with these proposals is what is the alternative? Without a huge cash injection, we could easily lose a dozen or more clubs from league 1 or 2 this season alone. Lower league football is barely sustainable under normal circumstances but covid has ripped the little bit of revenue away from clubs and it will need huge reforms or we may see the end of professional leagues.

I hate the idea of most of these changes but also hate the idea that we may no longer have a club to support in a meaningful league.

Of all possible solutions, I actually think this one is not the worst. At least for a club like ours.

Scrapping parachute payments is great. No reason that clubs should have a competitive advantage just because they played in the PL in the past three years.
25% of all future TV deals is great - wealth-sharing (as long as it's enshrined in law, and difficult to get rid of) is exactly what's needed.
Losing the League Cup would be sad.....but it's been on life support for a while now. No-one at the top of the game cares about it, there's minimal prize money and all it really offers is the chance for a decent home gate while day-trippers watch Man City's 1b team.
The third-from-bottom PL team entering the Championship playoff is whatever.....doesn't make a ton of difference to us, and is actually back to how it was originally set up.

On the other hand, if you're a bottom-half Premier League team, a Yo-Yo team, or a big club with aspirations at the top end of the Championship, it's horrendous.
Two fewer spots in the league, two fewer home gates, no parachute payments if you do get relegated and your vote is suddenly worth less than the 'Big 9' (and by the way, what the hell with the nine clubs in question? How the hell did Southampton and West Ham earn special status, when Newcastle [more PL season than either of them] and Leicester [****ing won the whole thing five years ago] did not???)

Is it worth screwing over the Burnleys and Brightons of the football world to save the Southends and Rochdales from extinction? I'd say probably.

Of course, the major worry is that this is the thin end of the wedge and the next move towards scrapping relegation and moving to a closed league. And that everything is happening to bring that future closer increment by increment.

Last edited:
Here's a proposal.

Reduce the PL to 6 clubs, let them play PL and Champions League games ad nauseum.
Top 4 get Champions League, bottom 2 get relegated, to a new Division 1 of 20 clubs.
No entry to FA Cup or League cup for PL clubs. No parachute payments.

New Division 1, of 20 clubs, top 2 get promoted, (if they want it) to PL and also qualify for Europa League.
New Division 2, 3 and 4, each of 22 clubs.
3 up and 3 down, for all leagues, even down to National League.

FA Cup for all teams below PL, mid week replays in all rounds. FA Cup winners get a Europa League spot.
League Cup for Div 1, 2, 3 and 4 clubs only.
No EFL Trophy.
Strict Wage caps and fair distribution of income throughout.

Another thing, no loan fees, and no loan wages paid.
If you've got too many players, you either loan them out for free or let them go.

Match of the Day Live on BBC1 3pm every Sunday, showing any interesting game from any Div 1-4.

This started off as a tongue in cheek rant, but by only having a 6 club PL and 2 relegation spots, only 4 clubs would have successive PL seasons.

Last thing, when we do eventually live up to our potential and get in to the PL, we can look at changing the PL to allow 8 clubs in, just in case we have a bad start to a season.

Not a bad idea, but for that strange "top six" voting monopoly B.S.

That’s the most important thing, they will vote to cancel everything else after a year.

It sounds good to us but it gives all the power in English football to the six richest clubs, they can change the rules every season to favour themselves.

Sooner they P**s off to the European super league the sooner we can return to a sane English football league system.

I see God has punished Liverpool for these suggestions by closing pubs and salons.

Presumably He thinks Manchester is already punishment enough.

I always thought that the PFA could challenge this legally.
With the squad numbers reducing even more at the end of the season there will be a load of players thrown out of work at the end of the season (exaserapated by COVID and the financial impact)
There us nothing wrong per se with a salary capbuy the current one us ridiculous

I always thought that the PFA could challenge this legally.
With the squad numbers reducing even more at the end of the season there will be a load of players thrown out of work at the end of the season (exaserapated by COVID and the financial impact)
There us nothing wrong per se with a salary capbuy the current one us ridiculous
I'd vote for a cap that is more than we could afford but chicken feed to the likes of Sunderland ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom