Roy Lester

Jimmy P

Roy Lester, season ticket holder at Grenoble Road has sadly lost his battle with COVID this morning.
Roy, whom many of you will know as the former landlord of the Bullnose , Standard and The George was larger than life character who will be sadly missed
We have set up a go fund me account, with the families blessing to help with funeral costs

Would chat with Roy most games on the way to my seat - he will be missed.

Sad news, We knew Roy well, had many a late night in the standard with him and the players in the 90s. RIP Roy.

Oh God, no!
Knew him mainly from the pub quizzes at the Standard which I used to attend with my partner at that time.
Always remember one week when we noticed a strange device strapped under the table with wires poking out and quietly reported it to him, only to find out that he was bugging our table to copy all our answers...
RIP Roy - perhaps he can reopen the equally late lamented Lamb and Flag in Heaven?

Roy picked a cracking season ticket seat in the East Stand, left side, always jealous of that. Will be missed, that is for sure. A really committed fan. As Cass 63 has already said, some great nights in the Royal Standard after a midweek home game,.....into the wee small hours with the majority of the team in attendance.

Pretty sure he came in from Hampshire for home games.

RIP. Condolences to family and friends that knew him. Seem to be losing a lot of good yellows lately. Keep the yellow flag flying high up there all.

Very sad to read this. Did Roy also run a pub just over the border in Buckinghamshire for a while? Can't remember the name but it was just outside Stokenchurch on the road to Marlow.

Very sad to read this. Did Roy also run a pub just over the border in Buckinghamshire for a while? Can't remember the name but it was just outside Stokenchurch on the road to Marlow.
Yes, he did, but I cant remember what it was called either...

The Blue Flag in Cadmore End - used to have a meal there two or three time a year. Kept excellent ale!
That's the one! Sorry to waffle on a bit but in 2006 as a new dad I took my baby daughter out in the car for a few hours to give my exhausted wife a rest. We ended up in the Chilterns and a couple of pubs were extremely unhelpful about warming up a bottle and changing facilities (for my daughter, not me!).

By the time I tried the Blue Flag I was pretty much in despair with a screaming smelly baby in my arms. I didn't know Roy and Glenis at the time but commented that I approved of the OUFC top Roy was wearing. They took pity on me and let me use one of their guest rooms to change my daughter and get cleaned up.

I had ordered food which was ready when I returned to the bar along with a perfectly warmed babies bottle. Glenis then sat and fed my daughter while I enjoyed a meal in peace. I was so grateful to them that day - absolute salt of the earth. God bless you Roy.

As I said, sorry to ramble on!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom