National News Rishi Sunak

Best you vote him out then.

That's how democracy works.
More people want him out than in, but we have an outdated, antiquated and unfit for purpose system which arbitrarily and artificially divides the country into ‘seats’ of massively differing sizes and then says ‘discount all votes in this seat apart from the winner!’

Is that true democracy?

• React
Reactions: QR
Labour............. in it for the munny.....

Corbyn has a net worth of £3 million quid for doing....ermmm...... nothing really.

Blair - net worth £60 million.

And the electorate rejected changing FPTP as a voting system albeit when offered the P**s poor alternative of AV. The choice should have been FPTP or genuine PR, hey ho life isn`t perfect.

Depends on what you want democracy to achieve really. If your reason to vote is to preserve what you got and try to make yourself richer, the you will vote a certain way. If you care more for others and making sure those without have bit of a better life, you might choose to vote another.

It depends what your motivating factors are (and how much bullshit you are prepared to swallow).

And, based on the most recent General Election, more folk prefer the first option. :)

I've never posted on here ever to say I want more of anything for myself (other than goals 😁). I want much a better education system, better hospitals etc which we won't get with greedy bastards like Sunak in power. Period.

Well, 4 would have been nice yesterday ☺️

Ever since I could s**t in a nappy I doubt I have ever known a country where there has ever been sufficient money to provide a better education system, provide more hospitals, better transport networks, resolve homelessness or avoid people living below the poverty line and children going starving.

There has always been this grotesque chasm of wealth between the filthy rich and immensely poor.

No political party has ever managed to resolve the issue because the forces of economics is too great.

To steal your phrase on test and trace... Dream on Buddy 😉

I don't doubt it, which is extremely sad indictment on society generally.

Pretty clear from where I'm stood that self-interest and greed are responsible for just about all problems faced by humanity and the planet more generally.

• React
And, based on the most recent General Election, more folk prefer the first option. :)

Pretty clear from where I'm stood that self-interest and greed are responsible for just about all problems faced by humanity and the planet more generally.

And over population combined with peoples unhealthy obsession for buying cheap, unnecessary junk from halfway round the world.

• React
Stop saying things I agree with. That's not the way it's meant to work.

If there is one thing Covid/lockdown should have taught us is what is really essential and where "stuff" comes from.
We should be eating less, wasting less and using seasonal food. rather than exporting our demand which in turn leads to deforestation, pollution and child labour/slavery in other countries.
All well and good being "Green" and driving a Nissan Leaf - unless you are a 9 year old child in the Congo mining cobalt for the battery.

But all of the examples you cite can be achieved more sustainably....but yet again greed and self interest prevents it.

When everything comes down to how much money someone makes in profit, nothing is ever going to improve.

Last edited:
But all of the examples you cite can be achieved more sustainably....but yet again greed and self interest prevents it.

When everything comes down to how much money someone makes in profit, nothing is ever going to improve.

Unless we, the consumer, change what we consume.

However the ethos seems to be to drag the less fortunate nations up to our level which, in turn, creates more consumption, demand and profit.

So do you improve everyone`s lot in life or leave them in poverty and stop them becoming consumers?

Money makes the world go around.

If companies don’t make a profit they can’t encourage investment. If they can’t encourage investment they can’t get established. If they can’t get established they can’t employ anyone. If they can’t employ anyone there is no one to spend money in the economy.

The world is caught in one big cycle that it can’t get out of.

There has been many a debate on here about the conservative austerity policy against Labour spending policy.

So are we suggesting austerity is still they way to go to get ourselves out of this, or are we spending?

Greedy?
Or a thief?
Hell of an accusation, need to make sure you’re accurate on that point I think?
Not if you go back to my original posting for the context where I said....

In a country with fair laws this would be theft borne from greed.

i.e Under our laws it's not theft.

I don’t think I’m an envious person and those that work hard deserve the fruits of their labour. There are plenty of people doing jobs at the m’ment for cash in hand for example.
one of the gripes I do have is that the rateable values on multi million pound homes in London being about a council tax rating of not much more than £2000pa. I know a friend in Fulham who pays less council tax on a four bed property than I do in a small house 30 miles outside London. At the same Sadia Khan complains of underfunding for hospitals and the railways. The cost of venturing in to London by car is prohibitive if it was possible at the moment.
As for Rishi Sunak, I find him a breath of fresh air. Someone who is willing to listen and help small businesses when he can. I see him as a potential prime minister.
I am a bit concerned about how the Trade deficit will be reduced. I am sure that will be paid over a long period of say fifty years or more. The question is who will pay for it. Will it be pensioners, motorists or students who have to contribute?

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see state pension age increase further, as well as being means tested.

The law now requiring all employers to provide access to personal pension schemes is also the first steps to reducing the state burden in many years to come.

Last edited:
I don’t think I’m an envious person and those that work hard deserve the fruits of their labour. There are plenty of people doing jobs at the m’ment for cash in hand for example.
one of the gripes I do have is that the rateable values on multi million pound homes in London being about a council tax rating of not much more than £2000pa. I know a friend in Fulham who pays less council tax on a four bed property than I do in a small house 30 miles outside London. At the same Sadia Khan complains of underfunding for hospitals and the railways. The cost of venturing in to London by car is prohibitive if it was possible at the moment.
As for Rishi Sunak, I find him a breath of fresh air. Someone who is willing to listen and help small businesses when he can. I see him as a potential prime minister.
I am a bit concerned about how the Trade deficit will be reduced. I am sure that will be paid over a long period of say fifty years or more. The question is who will pay for it. Will it be pensioners, motorists or students who have to contribute?
Let's hope it's student to keep @Essexyellows happy!

I don't want to be rude but you really don't understand how council tax works.

The tax is based on what a property's value would have been in 1991 and it's staggeringly unfair. Why are properties not revalued? Ask the government as only it can sanction a change such as this to the system. Values have nothing to do with Khan or Hudspeth even? Why are there not more bands for the massive expensive properties? Again ask the government. You see a pattern emerging? It's fixed. Councils have little say or control other than to set the tax for each band in their area. And then the government undemocratically caps the increase. Let councils set whatever tax they like. The public will soon vote them out if they don't like it. People can choose to have crap services if that is what they want.

Back
Top Bottom