General Radox 5 minute Forum

Could well be on the radar then as Sam Long isn't seen as the long-term No.1 RB.
Although he's just signed a 2 year deal. I suspect that Jazz Richards or Stephen O'Donnell will be targets for the starting rb position.

Although he's just signed a 2 year deal. I suspect that Jazz Richards or Stephen O'Donnell will be targets for the starting rb position.
Indeed - he's good cover for RB, CB and LB positions and whilst a good earner, not a high earner by comparison to some of our big names so makes sense for the club (and Sam I would think as a local lad)

It's so hard to judge though, he could be the next Hoban or Kane Hemmings
Hemmings and Hoban never averaged effectively a goal a game like Shankland has at both Ayr and Dundee United. There was no reason to not even look at him when that many goals were flying in. Just watch the bloke, don’t shrug him off for no real reason. That was all I was saying. It took me back to when I worked at the club and Mickey Lewis thought it was funny that we refused to give Poole Town’s star striker a trial, even though their chairman was on the phone begging us to let him train with us every week. “Tell him we’ve just signed Jamie Cook” was the last thing I heard him say on the matter, after yet another begging phone call. That striker - Charlie Austin - went on to sign for Swindon two weeks later.

You never get them all right. No shame in taking a punt and it not quite working out, or in missing out on one that you saw or didn’t pull the trigger on. Win some, lose some. That’s life. But I find it galling that he was poo pooed so readily yet we chased a deal with Jonte Smith a month or two later.

Hemmings and Hoban never averaged effectively a goal a game like Shankland has at both Ayr and Dundee United. There was no reason to not even look at him when that many goals were flying in. Just watch the bloke, don’t shrug him off for no real reason. That was all I was saying. It took me back to when I worked at the club and Mickey Lewis thought it was funny that we refused to give Poole Town’s star striker a trial, even though their chairman was on the phone begging us to let him train with us every week. “Tell him we’ve just signed Jamie Cook” was the last thing I heard him say on the matter, after yet another begging phone call. That striker - Charlie Austin - went on to sign for Swindon two weeks later.

You never get them all right. No shame in taking a punt and it not quite working out, or in missing out on one that you saw or didn’t pull the trigger on. Win some, lose some. That’s life. But I find it galling that he was poo pooed so readily yet we chased a deal with Jonte Smith a month or two later.
True but Nigel Winterburn and Matt Le Tissier had trials with us - there's always going to be the ones that got away.

Yeah I do agree, i thought Hoban was really worth a try and was a good player who just couldn't quite cut it as a scorer here.

Shankland has been constantly rumoured to go to various bigger clubs, but it has never really happened. He would be the right sort of player to sign

Yeah I do agree, i thought Hoban was really worth a try and was a good player who just couldn't quite cut it as a scorer here.

I'm sure it's just fine margins, but agree it didn't work out for Pat Hoban in the EFL. Now back at Dundalk he's bagged 49 goals in 40 appearances.

I'm sure it's just fine margins, but agree it didn't work out for Pat Hoban in the EFL. Now back at Dundalk he's bagged 49 goals in 40 appearances.
His overall play was good but he maybe lacked anticipation or positioning sense, as you say it’s fine margins

His overall play was good but he maybe lacked anticipation or positioning sense, as you say it’s fine margins
iMO him getting injured almost as soon as he arrived affected him. By the time he was fit he needed to be able to hit the ground running.

He's scored 20 in 48 games last season according to Wikipedia

Even so, it suggests the standard is dogsh*t compared to L2 let alone L1. After us, he hardly set the world alight at Stevenage, Grimsby or Mansfield.

Hoban is a weird one. He had ability, but was the least natural finisher ive seen in some time. He started as a defensive midfielder i believe, and it showed.

Back
Top Bottom