General Quince - 4real

chuckbert

In the hope that it is not considered politicised, I thought I’d show you our 3rd harvest of quince this season (Southern Hemisphere autumn). We’ve made jelly and paste from the first couple, as well as roast accompaniment to roast pork. Anyone got any further quince ideas to try?
B128ADDD-11F8-4EA5-BD73-02CBF0245A71.jpeg

Nigel Slater has a quince and roquefort recipe which sounds a bit cack to me. He recommends putting half-cooked quince in with apple for a crumble. The Turks eat slabs of cooked quince with ice cream, Istanbul is the closest city to heaven if your abode is to it's east. Dorothy Sleighthome believed Turks were the spawn of Satan otherwise she'd have made jam from them, or marmalade; if sweet potatoes had been invented when she were alive she'd have experimented with using quince in place of them.

I like the sound of that, quince meringues.

You might, he says, manage to make a form of forbidden rice salad, substituting quince (pre-cooked obvs) for the mango I use to substitute for the 'proper' pimento. Lots of coriander and chili and a bit of Romaines lettuce added for crunch.

Just an idea. Do you have Webbs lettuces in WA?

I just ate quince and ginger hong kong tart, take away.

Also, for those within range, Millers in Kilmington are selling medlars.

I just ate quince and ginger hong kong tart, take away.

Also, for those within range, Millers in Kilmington are selling medlars.

I was out picking sloes last Sunday and committed the cardinal sin of sharing the location. Though it was a pretty obvious one at the top of the downs where lots of people walk anyway. My mate’s brother in law knows a good site but won’t share.

Back
Top Bottom